Hi there everyone

Maggiemoo

We have had our PR 136 Visa for the last 5 years and due to certain problems have been unable to move to Aus before now. We are finally arriving on June 18th and although I have posted a couple of questions on this forum thought I should introduce us. I am Margaret (42), husband Nick (42) and son Aaron (9).

Wanted to say that reading this website and the information it gives has been invaluable. Even though we have had visa for 5.5 years we have only left ourselves with only 5 months to make the move (or at least I have - Nick thinks we only have to pack our bags and go!!!!).

We are going to stay with friends in Elizabeth to start off with whilst we look for the best place to live (not selling house in UK yet so will have to rent here to start off with). Any comments on good places to live with a good school for our boy would be much appreciated.

Neither of us has a job yet but have a little savings to keep us going until we find jobs, although I will be looking for something part-time so that I can be around while Aaron settles in.

Thanks again everyone and I look foward to reading all your advice in the coming months.

Mags :)

Guest BAZnDAF

Hi and Welcome :)

Can't halp you with yourr questions as we are still in UK.

How the hell did you manage to stay in UK for 5 years when you had the visa??? I guess you must have had some difficult years. Must have drove you mad knowing you could have gone at anytime..

Good luck with everything, I'm sure you'll get some answers to your questions, although things like schools and areas to live are a personal choice, but i guess like all of us you don't want to move into crime central! :)

Believe me it was very difficult not to go but pretty awful things happened and we were very glad to be in the UK around our families.

I am feeling overwhelmed with everything that has to be organised before we head off and feel like a headless chicken at the moment. Where are you hoping to go to?

Mags

Hi and Welcome :)

Can't halp you with yourr questions as we are still in UK.

How the hell did you manage to stay in UK for 5 years when you had the visa??? I guess you must have had some difficult years. Must have drove you mad knowing you could have gone at anytime..

Good luck with everything, I'm sure you'll get some answers to your questions, although things like schools and areas to live are a personal choice, but i guess like all of us you don't want to move into crime central! :)

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day Mags.

I moved here with only 10k UK and was plenty to last me 3 months and thats sorting the rental, buying + rego and insurance for a car, pay bills and live comfertbly.

Will be better in six weeks when the missus and dogs arrive as we just sold our house in the UK.

Your lucky you got the 136 pr visa as this opens up a lot more employment oppitunitys to you.

2 jobs that are open that requires no experince are bus driving (awkawrd hrs, notbad but not good pay but fun) or SAPOL (need to be fit, have basic computing and not scared or guns).

its a lot easier to find work with a pr visa than a temp visa.

Thanks cornish busdriver, do you need a special license to drive a bus? Not sure it would be right for him as he once drove a 7.5 ton van and nearly squashed a women when his foot slipped off the pedal!!!!! Sort of put him off the larger vehicles!

Thanks Jo & Steve and good luck with your last few weeks.

Mags

Guest jan&andy

Hi Mags

I hope the rest of your plans run smoothly. We arrived in Adelaide in September and are currently renting in Grange which is a beachside suburb to the west of the city. We like the area, but couldn't afford to buy the type of property we wanted so have now bought a house in Hawthorndene which is in the foothills to the south east of the city (will be moving in March). Our children (16 & 14) are both at high school, so I don't really know too much about primary schools, but the one in Grange has a good reputation.

I was lucky enough to find a job before we arrived, but Andy has only managed to find a few weeks temporary work (office admin). There appears to be more part-time and casual work at the moment, so hopefully you will be lucky when you arrive.

Jan

Guest cornish Busdriver

Driving a bus is easy, just need to be a little screwy and have a very chilled out attiutude.

Even driving the artic busses are easy, dont worry bout the licence as long has he's got a full aussie one it will be ok. The bus companys sorts the bus licence out but you will need to pay for a police check $38, medical $65 and accreditation $90 but not all at once only when your asked to.

Training pay is only roughly $400 a week take home and go's up to roughly $600 -650 pw take home after 1 month.

Its possible to acue 10 weeks holiday each year and earn $1000 pw if he wants to put the overtime in.

Gotta admit the jobs not for everyone but if he wants a job busses are always an option.

Look at Torrens Transit website for more info.

Guest BAZnDAF
Believe me it was very difficult not to go but pretty awful things happened and we were very glad to be in the UK around our families.

I am feeling overwhelmed with everything that has to be organised before we head off and feel like a headless chicken at the moment. Where are you hoping to go to?

Mags

To be honest we will be going to anywhere we can afford now! Thanks to certain banking organisations things are looking pretty grim on the money front. Will only put the house on the market once i have the visa.

:)