Pesty650

End of the dream?

    Recommended Posts

    I’m beginning to think the dream is over before it’s begun.

    We’ve submitted the 475 app & the way things are going will have a visa by mid 2009. We’ve been looking at putting the house on the market & whilst prices have been quite stable in our area, people are now starting to knock £20-30K off the asking price. That’s before the offers come in under the asking price. This would just wipe out most of the equity we have & if went went to Adelaide would be going with only a few grand to start our new lives after the expenses in getting there. No job to go to, no lump sum in the bank for a house deposit & a very uncertain job market. If it didn’t work out, we’d come back skint in 6-9 months! Financially, it makes no sense to go & with no economic upturn predicted to START until mid/late 2010, it doesn’t look like delaying going until late 2010 by doing a quick validation trip mid 2010 would help either. It’s possible, even probable that house prices in the UK will continue to drop for some time. Renting the house out wouldn’t work financially either.

    The alternative also scares the life out of me – staying here, living in an area we don’t want to live, working in jobs we hate, with no light at the end of the tunnel. Wanting to live in Adelaide. What kind of life is that?

    Short of winning the lottery, it looks like the dream is just that.

    Can anyone offer up any ideas???

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest ReadyPenny

    Hi Guys

     

    Sorry about your situation. If it makes you feel any better, we are almost skint as well. Although we have sold our house, there is no equity in it because we have had to reduce it to get rid of it.

     

    We just want to be in Adelaide and that is what we are going to do. I would rather be struggling there than here, at least the sky is blue and the sun is shining.

     

    We do have jobs to go to, whether they will work out or how long they will last, we dont know? But what we do know is that we are going to give it a go regardless.

     

    If we end up back here skint and starting over in less than 12 months we will deal with that then, but we will fight tooth and nail to prevent this from happening.

     

    Sorry I have no magic wand or suggestions for you, just thought you mind find it comforting to know that not everyone arrives in Adelaide tilled up to the nines , with a large deposit for a house and a hefty bank balance to fall back on.

     

    good luck

    mandy

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Hi,

     

    This is a very difficult decision for you to have to make. On the one hand you don't want to give up without ever having given your dream a shot, but on the other the odds are stacked against you. I wonder what jobs you do?

    Things can be very tough here if work is hard to find, and a lot depends on resilience and a willingness to accept your new place much lower down the ladder, (at least that will be the case for a lot of people.) There is an assumption by many of us that our skills and experience will count for more than it does initially - have no illusions.

    However for us personally we have more than we had in the UK and things are getting better all the time. Our acceptance of how things are here and our determination to create our own opportunities is paying dividends, but we had some equity with which to start a new life which does help. If what you are giving up is substantial in money and security terms, then think really carefully before taking the plunge.

     

    What a horrible time to be thinking of emigrating - although many across the world have made this kind of move with far less, yet have still made a go of it. Good luck:)

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest Nicky&Andy

    i really feel for you, the process isnt easy, but look at it another way, anything that comes easy , isnt usally worth it (well thats what i keep tellin myself)

    were in a similar position to yourselves, were trying to sell the house, renting is not an option (although we have our visa) we feel like were in limbo, our oldest is 17 now, i'm worried that if we dont go soon, he will flee the nest and end up not coming, which would change everything for us. were going out to adelaide in two weks time to validate our visa, had to sell the family car etc to fund the trip, now driving a £300 banger:biglaugh:

    on the up side we had two viewers yesterday ,first to look round the house since oct 08

     

    things will happen, try not to give up hope,

    nicky

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest Lisado

    Hi there. It is an awful situation to be in. We trying to sell our house at the moment and one person was interested and have said it is still too high :realmad: - which is pants as we already put on the market for less. We don't have very much savings as it keeps going on visa payments, etc. trying clear credit cards before we come. No jobs to go to as yet and I keep panicking onhow we are going to live with 2 kids, etc. My hubby is adament that we will be there. He keeps saying as long ashe has his 2 hands he will find work!!

     

    I just have to keep going with the belief it was meant to be and somehow we will be okay once over there :)

     

    I hope everything works out for you.

     

    Lisa

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Thanks for the words of encouragement & to let us know we're not the only ones in this position. I wish everyone luck with trying to achieve the move.

     

    One of my favourite quotes is "follow your heart & your head will catch up, follow your head & you'll leave your heart behind"

    Sometimes it's easier said than done, but I have always found it to be true.

     

    We will try everything we can to make this work, even give up permanent jobs & go contracting where the money is better. Anything to make a few quid!

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest sam2500

    Hi to you and yours,

     

    Like everyone else I can't help you with your decision., i'm afraid

    We are in the same boat.:(

    Although my OH has a sponsored job to go to, fortunately.

    Not sold our house,.

    Up for rent ,but not done as yet, even though we fly out in just over 4 weeks.

    We are going with very little, as seems to be the norm.

    Debaiting how straight we leave everything here before we go ?

    What I would say though is like us, you put your mortgage on interest only payment for a while, so that it reduces your outgoings here,( only a suggestion).

    We have been overpaying about £200 per month and have now made a saving of about £400.

    Hope all goes well, and it really isn't easy

    Take care,

    Sue David sam:jimlad:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest Lulujim

     

    One of my favourite quotes is "follow your heart & your head will catch up, follow your head & you'll leave your heart behind"

    Sometimes it's easier said than done, but I have always found it to be true.

     

    I haven't heard that one before, but I love it.

     

    It's really hard, I know lots of people on here are struggling and using credit cards to fund the move/reccie - and are having problems selling/renting their homes. I guess only you can decide how far you can go to make it happen.

    The only thing I might say is that I would really try and do a reccie even if you're not thinking of going til 2010. There's talk of them filling the 475 spaces up, changing the occupations often etc etc.. and it'd be awful to miss out on this altogether.

     

    Also doing a reccie will be a great chance to go in to recruitment agencies, meet people etc.. and you never know a job might come out of it..

     

    Good luck whatever you decide - I hope it works out for you x :notworthy:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    your situation looks like ours was 10 months ago, we had only been in our own house in uk for 2 years so didnt have a lot of equity in our house, we then had to reduce it by nearly 30 grand to sell, so we came here with just enough to pay for flights and bond and some basic furniture cos we wasnt shipping anything, we had no jobs, was booked in caravan park for 2 weeks then after that it was down to fate.

     

    Well i never thought we would own our own home here in oz for least a few years, we had no deposit, what we did bring was used up in those first weeks here, hubby luckily found a job straight away and hes still with same employer and we just moved into our own aussie home last week.

     

    We have been lucky things have just fallen into place for us, and not everyone is so lucky, no one can guarentee anything after u get off the plane, but what i do know is im glad we took the risk, we havent looked back, we love our lives here and are happy,more so now we have our own home.

     

    No one can advise you on what to do its your life only u can make the decision that you are willing to take some risks cos its you who will have to face the consequences, but it can work out, you can get things good once you are here, even if you come with not a lot, we did, you just need to want it bad enough and be willing to work hard,take some risks, to get it.

     

    Good luck with whatever you decide but my advice you just never know unless you try:)

     

    Dawn x

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Hi

     

    Your situation is the same as ours and we are going. Our house is up for sale at the price of our mortgage, we have no jobs to go to and about 7K in the bank. Thats it but if we dont go now we never will.

    If we looked financially at living here in the UK on paper we couldnt afford it, but we do.

    Why am I not stressing about this move? I dont know, maybe I should be, maybe I will be in a few months time but to me and my family its just such a great opportunity. We will rent when we arrive and try our hardest to secure jobs when we land, if not before.

    I suppose it just depends on how much you want it, if you want it bad nothing will stop you.

    We're not looking at our move through rose tinted glasses, just prepared to give it a really good go.

     

    Good luck with your decision

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest Ellie

    God I am so glad I looked at this thread it has helped me heaps. We are sliding into debt etc. Max's work was really erratic last year and never secure. We never knew what he would eventually take home. In between when he has had work he's been laid off because of the weather and since Christmas he worked last week and now he's been laid off all together and won't get paid for it until 29th Jan!!!. We have no savings as everything is funding the Application and no house sale. Again renting not an option. I was worried sick that we might end up with nothing to go out with. I think you imagine everyone having thousands in the bank except you. We are determind and as said previously when we work out what we have here, we'd rather struggle in a better place as the prospects here are dire at the moment and I can't see it improving for a good while. I don't like my job it's a thankless boring job and now Max has nothing and with the trade as it is if he gets anything then how long for?? There are no guarantees. We do nothing with Kirsty as we can't afford to and the weather rubbish it's so depressing! So I think throw all caution to the wind and go for it! I'm taking my tent we can live in that LOL! At least it won't get blown away or flooded in Adelaide....there's another bonus.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest maxxangel
    I’m beginning to think the dream is over before it’s begun.

     

    We’ve submitted the 475 app & the way things are going will have a visa by mid 2009. We’ve been looking at putting the house on the market & whilst prices have been quite stable in our area, people are now starting to knock £20-30K off the asking price. That’s before the offers come in under the asking price. This would just wipe out most of the equity we have & if went went to Adelaide would be going with only a few grand to start our new lives after the expenses in getting there. No job to go to, no lump sum in the bank for a house deposit & a very uncertain job market. If it didn’t work out, we’d come back skint in 6-9 months! Financially, it makes no sense to go & with no economic upturn predicted to START until mid/late 2010, it doesn’t look like delaying going until late 2010 by doing a quick validation trip mid 2010 would help either. It’s possible, even probable that house prices in the UK will continue to drop for some time. Renting the house out wouldn’t work financially either.

    The alternative also scares the life out of me – staying here, living in an area we don’t want to live, working in jobs we hate, with no light at the end of the tunnel. Wanting to live in Adelaide. What kind of life is that?

     

    Short of winning the lottery, it looks like the dream is just that.

     

    Can anyone offer up any ideas???

     

    There may be a light on the horizon. I was talking to my dad who works in housing industry making for sale signs and he says that things are starting to move again. Halifax has reported a small increase in house prices; not sure if that is just wishful thinking, but my dad has said there are definitely more sold signs going up. So fingers crossed you may get some better offers on your house a few months down the line. Spring has always traditionally been the better time for house sales. Don't give up just yet.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Wow.

    Reading some of the stories on here has really humbled me. I guess we were just so lucky that i had a job (with company sponsorship) to start this minute i stepped off the plane. Our house in Aberdeen sold in 3 days, and we sold our car and motorbike. Went to go online to book the flights and pay for the removals to find out the company had sent me an email with all our flight details, and bank account for the cost of removals to be sent to. Then they paid for all visas and medicals, along with accomodation in the city until we found somewhere.

     

    Anyway, you guys have really earned my respect with the way you have done it, and kept such a happy outlook. Guess the blue skies help out there.

     

    Best of luck for everyone who is trying to get here, if you come, i hope you love it as much as our family does.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now