childcare workers wages

Hiya,

I know there is a few people on here that are or were working in childcare around Adelaide. I just wondered what pay scale people started on here if they had an NVQ 3. My qualification has been assessed but is classed higher than a cert 3 and not quite a diploma, which isnt on the scale so I am getting paid at the lowest rate. They are also not counting my years exp working with children. Have other people found this? Does anyone know whether you can have the qualification graded to a cert 3 instead?

Any info much appreciated.

Liz

Guest Chichester

Hi I am a nanny here in Adelaide so I am not exactly the same. I get paid $22 an hour here in Adelaide, 18 months ago I earned £1380 per month in Chichester for 55 hrs a week plus babysitting. Here i work 37 hours a week and live quite comfortably in a flat here in Glenelg. It is so much better here for me my bosses kept saying when i started,don't work too hard. i was like....what. Does that help at all. My experience counted for me.

Its a minefield!!! I'm a teacher, 17 years experience working as a team leader!!! I get $23.87 an hour. Unqualified can get anything from $14 to $20 an hour. Nothing to do with how long you have worked with kids!!!! As I said - its a minefield!!!!

Hi ya I work in childcare here well just doing relief til I'm a bit more settled I get $21 a hour which is better than the min wage in England.:o

Sorry to crash your thread but has anyone sent there certs off to get changed to Aussie ones? keep meaning to do it but been told I've got to go to Rundal mall in the city is this right? if so how long did it take to come back?:notworthy:

Hiya thanks for replies,

It is all very confusing and frustrating! - Tina I sent my certificates to TAFE qualification assessment place on currie street it is the other side of the road to the TAFE college. I did mine from the UK via email so I don't know how long it takes here, but when I have been in to ask something there has been a long que so be prepared to wait! Could I ask what level you are paid at is it cert 3 or diploma as thats quite good money for relief! Do you work for a centre or agency?

Thanks Liz

Hi Liz,

I have a CACHE Level 3 Teaching Assistant Certificate here in the U.K. and have many years primary experience both SEN and main classroom support. Can you clarify how you get your certificates assessed. You mentioned about sending your information via email. If you had a contact email or address this would be useful.

I have read a lot of posts regarding this subject and wondered how hard or easy it is to find work in this field both in schools or childcare settings. Is it easier if your certificates are assessed before arriving in Adelaide. Can you clarify what Cert 3 is.

Any information would be much appreciated.

Alison x

Guest mancs in oz

Hi Liz,

Yes i have worked in childcare, and i was on the lowest grade, that is what they started me on!!!, i have not managed to get my qualification assessed, they said that it is not recognised and i will have to do 2 years part-time or volunteer work for 2 years, before i will be able to be assessed!!! How did you manage to get yours assessed? have you been here for a long time? we have been here nearly 6 months. I hold the NNEB Diploma and have over 20 years experience.

I have since given up in childcare as the wage just did not bring in enough for all the expense's needed, i now work in retail as a casual.

Guest Mrs Dizzy Rascal
Hi Liz,

Yes i have worked in childcare, and i was on the lowest grade, that is what they started me on!!!, i have not managed to get my qualification assessed, they said that it is not recognised and i will have to do 2 years part-time or volunteer work for 2 years, before i will be able to be assessed!!! How did you manage to get yours assessed? have you been here for a long time? we have been here nearly 6 months. I hold the NNEB Diploma and have over 20 years experience.

I have since given up in childcare as the wage just did not bring in enough for all the expense's needed, i now work in retail as a casual.

Hi All Very interesting Threads I'm a Supervisor of a pre-school and have my NVQ3 early Years certificate we were told this was recognised in oz, not sure what kind of job I want out there yet but I def don't want too go back to college againxx

Sarahxx

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Lady at our place has cache 3 level - they will not qualify her. Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm sure they have just changed the rules on nvq level 3. 2 girls at our place have it. One was classed as qualified 18 months ago , the other has just had hers rejected as they have changed the rules, but will check tomorrow, just to make sure I 've got it right.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Lady at our place has cache 3 level - they will not qualify her. Absolutely ridiculous.

I'm sure they have just changed the rules on nvq level 3. 2 girls at our place have it. One was classed as qualified 18 months ago , the other has just had hers rejected as they have changed the rules, but will check tomorrow, just to make sure I 've got it right.

Hello Nick

Talking about me and All my ranting that have I have been doing lol :realmad:

Sorry but as Nick says I have NVQ 3 in Early years care and Education and have 6 years expericence, However DECs do not recongise this as qualified anymore

Skill assesment have transfered this to level 4 which I hate to say to you all after 6 months i have found out:

you are recognised as qualified child care worker with this qualification in every state in Australia apart from ONE:

Hmmm I wonder which one, yes, you guessed South Australia so I am banging my head against a brick wall.:nah:

This is what i was told by lady from skill recognitions, however check in case they have changed rules again.

I am in the process of going through TAFE and explaining every unit and recognised prior learning to get my qualification upgraded to a Diploma.

If i can help please PM me and we can rant together ;)

Jo xxxx

Hello Nick

Talking about me and All my ranting that have I have been doing lol :realmad:

Sorry but as Nick says I have NVQ 3 in Early years care and Education and have 6 years expericence, However DECs do not recongise this as qualified anymore

Skill assesment have transfered this to level 4 which I hate to say to you all after 6 months i have found out:

you are recognised as qualified child care worker with this qualification in every state in Australia apart from ONE:

Hmmm I wonder which one, yes, you guessed South Australia so I am banging my head against a brick wall.:nah:

This is what i was told by lady from skill recognitions, however check in case they have changed rules again.

I am in the process of going through TAFE and explaining every unit and recognised prior learning to get my qualification upgraded to a Diploma.

Jo xxxx

I'm soooooooo glad Jo I got it right in my post. Didn't want to alarm anyone, but glad I got it right.

Guest Mrs Dizzy Rascal
Hi ya I work in childcare here well just doing relief til I'm a bit more settled I get $21 a hour which is better than the min wage in England.:o

Sorry to crash your thread but has anyone sent there certs off to get changed to Aussie ones? keep meaning to do it but been told I've got to go to Rundal mall in the city is this right? if so how long did it take to come back?:notworthy:

How do you mean get your certificates changed-is it that easy no going back too collegexxx

Sarah:SLEEP::unsure:

How do you mean get your certificates changed-is it that easy no going back too collegexxx

Sarah:SLEEP::unsure:

I think what she means is getting your uk qualifications assessed by licensing to get a comparable australian equivalent.

That is what jo did and they said nvq level 3 will not now allow you to be qualified.

A lot of child care centres aren't aware of this. They will be in for one hell of a shock when accrediation pay them for a visit. This happened to one near us - the qualified leader wasn't qualified as they only had a nvq level 3 and they failed accreditation.

Hi everyone,

Alison- I would check if your TA qualification is counted over here through the skills council. TA's over here are school support officers it is hard to get a job in a school I have been trying since I got here (7 months) however, dont let this put you off it is easier to get on the relief staff for special schools. I have found childcare is much easier to find a job in, I started with select education agency then phoned round childcare centres I am relief staff at the min until I have decided what I am going to do. I would say there does seem to be more jobs for people with a Diploma than as assistants.

Mancs in Oz - not sure why they told you that, I did mine via email and post from the uk, I went to skills recognition council support services Currie Street . I know the building has moved so the details I have will be old. I do rememeber having to make a few phone calls to oz and they did ask about my visa? I will have a look at my emails the woman i dealt with was quite rude!

Like Jo said mine has also been recognised as level 4 which is not anything here. However I did think NNEB was?

Jo- I am also looking at making mine a diploma I have been told I am missing 7/8 modules the lady I deal with Jo Vabolis is really helpful and has said there are so many people from the UK with NVQ 3 they have devised a list of what people are missing. This is at the Croyden TAFE

Hope any of this helps

Liz

Guest Lulujim

Hi Liz - I have just found this post. I have an NNEB and NVQ Level 3... I googled and got the info below.. so I will email and hope they are able to help me out a bit. Thanks so much for your advice, I wouldn't have known it was possible to do this otherwise from the UK.

Childcare wasn't particularly what I wanted to do (with having my own 2 monkeys now!) but I guess it's another chance for employment!

If I went for a full-time nursery position, (if my quals are recognised) - what sort of hourly rate do you think I could expect?

Australian Education International (AEI)1, through the National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (AEI-NOOSR), provides official information and advice on the comparability of overseas qualifications with Australian qualifications. This assessment is for individuals who need to establish the educational level of an overseas qualification compared with an Australian educational qualification on the Australian Qualifications Framework.

For those who live in Australia, the State or Territory Overseas Qualifications Unit (OQU) may be able to provide educational assessment advice on overseas qualification for free (or a small fee) using the guidelines found in the AEI-NOOSR Country Education Profiles. Details for the South Australian branch are provided below:

SOUTH AUSTRALIA - SKILLS RECOGNITION SUPPORT SERVICES (SRSS)

Level 1 (East, TAFE SA Adelaide City Campus)

120 Currie Street ADELAIDE SA 5000

Phone: +61 8 8207 8354

Fax: +61 8 8463 5499

Email: srss@saugov.sa.gov.au

Thank you, Alexis

Guest massive

Hi all

not sure if this is any help but i have the NNEB and have over 15years in childcare the last 5 running my own pre-school with 6 staff fully recognised by ofsted and all .

However after several months of chasing my tale to be re assesed and being passed round everyone and getting no where i now work in a childcare centre as a kindy room team leader term time only fo $29 an hour, I don't think this is bad pay and i get to do hours that suit me and i walk away without the overall pressure of being in charge so I am happy . Don't sell yourself short i have found that there is a definate need for worker just be confident and focus on Play related learning which is now the norm in the uk but seems to be the big step forward here

debbie

Guest Lulujim
Hello Nick

Jo xxxx

Hi Jo,

Just re-read your post - do you know if the NNEB is recognised?? I have got this and NVQ 3 in childcare and ed.. and wonder if this will be ok to apply for jobs with?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Like Jo said mine has also been recognised as level 4 which is not anything here. However I did think NNEB was?

Jo- I am also looking at making mine a diploma I have been told I am missing 7/8 modules the lady I deal with Jo Vabolis is really helpful and has said there are so many people from the UK with NVQ 3 they have devised a list of what people are missing. This is at the Croyden TAFE

Hope any of this helps

Liz

Hi Liz

thanks for that I have been waiting for a woman In charge of the child care courses at TAFE to assess my qualifications since OCTOBER!!!:realmad::realmad:

I dont know about NNEB but have heard from one woman that they do not recognise this as qualified and are unsure what it is as I think NVQ and CACHE exams replaced it for a lot of people. Its a minefield out there but at least I am working and gaining an insight into australian childcare ;)

Good luck, and as stated before Skills recognition is on Currie street next to the Blood service, phone before as they have an appointment system and will not see you just turn up.

I will phone the woman you suggested and see how i get on

Jo xxx

Hello everyone,

Alexis - The starting wage if you are not qualified and work relief is 17.58 an hour. This is as an assistant level 1.1 If you are perm then it goes down to 14.65! If you have a diploma I think you are classed as a children's services professional and the starting hourly rate is 23.87 for relief and 19.89 for a perm job. This is according to a list we have at work its from network SA.

Jo- I am going to see that lady on wednesday next week so any more information I get from her I will post on here for people.

Thanks Liz

Guest Lulujim

Thanks Liz and Jo - Great info. I will email them and see if they can be of any help too! :wacko: Does seem a bit of pot-luck involved with employers I guess?

Thanks again, and good luck on Weds!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

As I said I would post on here when had I had gone to TAFE. I have now signed up to do my Diploma, with the NVQ 3 you already have 3/4 of it so I am hoping it wont take me long. At the min because the government are paying for some of the costs it only cost me 226 dollars instead of 1,027 which is what I was priced in November, but I am not sure how long it will be this price for.

It also changes depending what visa ( surprise) you are on whether you are perm, or temp. If anyone wants to know more than feel free to PM me.

Thanks Liz

Guest Lulujim

Hi Liz -

Thanks for that. Please can you tell me if having the NNEB would go anyway towards it too?

Also is it day time/eves? Is it the TAFE in O'Halloran Hill? And how long do you think you'll have to do it for - sorry so many qus! I would have to find childcare to do the course, so just wondering about all the info! :wacko:

Thank you! Alexis

Hi Liz - I have just found this post. I have an NNEB and NVQ Level 3... I googled and got the info below.. so I will email and hope they are able to help me out a bit. Thanks so much for your advice, I wouldn't have known it was possible to do this otherwise from the UK.

Childcare wasn't particularly what I wanted to do (with having my own 2 monkeys now!) but I guess it's another chance for employment!

If I went for a full-time nursery position, (if my quals are recognised) - what sort of hourly rate do you think I could expect?

Australian Education International (AEI)1, through the National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (AEI-NOOSR), provides official information and advice on the comparability of overseas qualifications with Australian qualifications. This assessment is for individuals who need to establish the educational level of an overseas qualification compared with an Australian educational qualification on the Australian Qualifications Framework.

For those who live in Australia, the State or Territory Overseas Qualifications Unit (OQU) may be able to provide educational assessment advice on overseas qualification for free (or a small fee) using the guidelines found in the AEI-NOOSR Country Education Profiles. Details for the South Australian branch are provided below:

SOUTH AUSTRALIA - SKILLS RECOGNITION SUPPORT SERVICES (SRSS)

Level 1 (East, TAFE SA Adelaide City Campus)

120 Currie Street ADELAIDE SA 5000

Phone: +61 8 8207 8354

Fax: +61 8 8463 5499

Email: srss@saugov.sa.gov.au

Thank you, Alexis

just wanted to say this office has moved and they have a new number so the nice man in that office tells me.

they are now at 55 currie st and the number is 82078200.

not that it has helped me I have rung everywhere to get my NVQ 2 changed over was half way through the level 3 when we came out here and wanted to carry it on here but cant do that till iget the NVQ 2 changed:arghh: anyone got any ideas?

Hi Alexis,

I will ask about the NNEB, I am trying to get it finished as soon as poss May/June time. I am doing it externally you can go to lectures but you are classed as an observer I think you don't have to pay for them then. I think they do do it and O'Halloran Hill, I am studying at croyden. They have a list of modules you are missing and they give you the workbooks to work through you also have to do observations and get observed on your planning. Which is easier if you have worked with a group of children for a while first, although I don't think you would have trouble finding a centre to support you doing this. Hope this helps.

Liz

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sunnydays

Hi Liz

Can I ask what modules they are looking for?? We are still in the UK and I am just about to complete my level 3 but if I can add the extra modules on here it will save time when we arrive there in Adelaide. Thanks for your help!!!