Doula anyone?

Guest JacquiHH

Guest JacquiHH

Hi, I've just trained as a Doula and was wondering if there was a market for this in Adelaide. In case no-one knows what a Doula does, its basically a professional birth partner, providing advice and support during pregnancy, labour and post-natally.

I have heard that ante natal care is very medicalised and that home births are unheard of, is this the case? Doulas are becoming more popular in the UK especially as our maternity services are so stretched, is this similar in Adelaide meaning there is a place for Doulas?

I know this is all a bit vague but I'm just trying to make sure that I will have a profession once we have made the big move!

I know its a long shot but does anyone know a Doula that already lives in Adelaide that they can put me in touch with??

thanks x:unsure:

Guest xhaylesx

Hello *waves*

I trained as a Doula with Nurturing birth, 2 years back, I havent practised since being here, for various reasons, I am not entirely convinced there is a huge demand for Doulas here, but that doesnt mean there isnt a huge need for them!! I guess it is a case of educating people, which I know has been a huge task in the UK of the last few years, but certainly starting to pay off.

I long for the day to be able to tell someone Im a Doula without having to explain what the hell it means!

I have been thinking about going back into business lately, we have been here 6 months now so starting to settle into real life, I have thought about perhaps teaming up with someone, certainly to get the word out there on the benefits of having the support of a Doula, you know hitting the ante-natal groups and that sort of thing?!

My email is hayleymcauley@googlemail.com if you want to have a chat.

Best wishes. xx

Hi there,

Yes, in Sa there is the highest rate of casearans in the country however there is still a need for doulas, it is not uncommon for a mum to be to hire a doula to come into the private hospital with her i know quite a few people whom have done this . Our local yoga centre does pregnancy yoga and active birthing workshops which highly promotes drug free births a few doulas advertise there.

coastal yoga centre you can google it .

There is a core group of people in sa whom want home births - and this is on the increase and there are some natural birthing soceties etc out there in adelaide you just have to hunt them down!!

hope this has been helpful

Guest JacquiHH
Hello *waves*

I trained as a Doula with Nurturing birth, 2 years back, I havent practised since being here, for various reasons, I am not entirely convinced there is a huge demand for Doulas here, but that doesnt mean there isnt a huge need for them!! I guess it is a case of educating people, which I know has been a huge task in the UK of the last few years, but certainly starting to pay off.

I long for the day to be able to tell someone Im a Doula without having to explain what the hell it means!

I have been thinking about going back into business lately, we have been here 6 months now so starting to settle into real life, I have thought about perhaps teaming up with someone, certainly to get the word out there on the benefits of having the support of a Doula, you know hitting the ante-natal groups and that sort of thing?!

My email is hayleymcauley@googlemail.com if you want to have a chat.

Best wishes. xx

Hi Hayley

How bizarre - I trained with Nurtutring Birth last year!! I'll PM mail you for a chat.