Guest OzBrit

Money needed for Migration of a Spouse

Guest OzBrit

My husband is from the UK, I'm from Adeldaide, we have just married in the UK and are both leaving to come to Adelaide next week. We have all we need to start the ball rolling for a Spouse Visa, but my husband is worried about how much money he needs to bring in his bank account. Even though i am sponsoring him and have work (not that i have any money in my savings :(...), he probably still needs to have some type of money to bring with him. Does anyone know roughly how much is the minimum he would need to have?:wacko:

Guest ReadyPenny

Not sure about spouse visas. We have our PR and are not required to have ANY money whatsoever!

Guest cazzie

Hi there,

I came here on a spouse visa in September, so Bill is my sponsor. There were no requirements/rules that said I had to have any money(which I don't!).

There is no specific minimum. If you have a job to come to and/or you both have good job histories and CVs that will help. My hubs had some savings plus had his own home here (we were both living abroad like you), and we had good job histories. Even if they say your finances aren't good enough (which I wouldn't really stress over), you can get a sponsor (your parents perhaps?) to sign something saying they will be back up support. Letters of reference from previous employers, on both yours and hubs behalf, will help as well.

Welcome home when you arrive!

My husband is from the UK, I'm from Adeldaide, we have just married in the UK and are both leaving to come to Adelaide next week. We have all we need to start the ball rolling for a Spouse Visa, but my husband is worried about how much money he needs to bring in his bank account. Even though i am sponsoring him and have work (not that i have any money in my savings :(...), he probably still needs to have some type of money to bring with him. Does anyone know roughly how much is the minimum he would need to have?:wacko:

It sounds like you are going to be applying for the Spouse Visa after you have arrived in Australia, not from the UK. If so, I am curious as to what type of visa your husband will be entering the country on?? (I am also a Spouse and assumed I had to get the Visa whilst still in the UK).

As for the money question, I would guess that if you are sponsoring him then the authorities won't be worried how much money he has as you have taken responsibility for him.

I came to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa, got married here in Oz and applied for the Spouse Visa whilst still here in Oz. I didn't have to leave the country to validate the visa either. No money needed for the bank account for Spouse Visa.

Guest OzBrit
    I came to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa, got married here in Oz and applied for the Spouse Visa whilst still here in Oz. I didn't have to leave the country to validate the visa either. No money needed for the bank account for Spouse Visa.

Michelle, what did you do about a joint bank account before your visa was granted? I am trying to find a way of opening up an account even though I am not yet a permanent resident. It would be useful for the spouse visa application to have a joint account. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!;)

Michelle, what did you do about a joint bank account before your visa was granted? I am trying to find a way of opening up an account even though I am not yet a permanent resident. It would be useful for the spouse visa application to have a joint account. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!;)

You don't need to have a joint account. Hubs and I still don't share finances, and I simply put this in our letter.

Guest OzBrit

Thanks that's a big relief, we were worried that it would inhibit our proof of sharing accounts for the visa...much relieved...ta

Hi

It can only help to have a joint account to prove that you are together, I have just got my PR and I am on a Spouse/De Facto Visa. We had to do another statutory declaration and state how bills/household chores/responsibility for children were shared between us.

HIFX will set up a joint bank account if you are transferring any money.

Regards

Sandra