Guest thebaddeleys

getting your children up to date with immunisations...

Guest thebaddeleys

Hi All,

I saw a post a week or so ago about how to go about getting your childrens injections up to date, they have some kind of register here I beleive.

Someone mentioned the best place to go, was it a health centre???

I need to go next week as both mine need jabs before they can start nursery. Are the injections free under medicare?

Thanks,

Kerry x x:unsure:

Guest Trakki

Just go along to your GP/health centre with your red books, they will sort out what the children need, put them on the register and get them sorted.

HTH

they need to be on the immunisation register which the gp sorts out. Find a gp near you then ask for an appointment to see dr regarding being placed on immunisation register. Take your red books along then gp will tell you if they need to catch up with any jabs. Ours are done by the practise nurse and have never been charged for them x

This is spooky, I was about to start a thread asking exactly the same this morning. Just realised that my daughter Lola will be one the week before we arrive. She will have her first 12mth jabs here then be due the 2nd lot 2 weeks after we arrive.

Do you think this could be done in time if I get to a GP straight away?

Guest thebaddeleys

yes I'm sure it could be done if you get to the medicare centre asap to get your medicare card x x

I have bought my sons immunisations (12 mth and 13 mth ones) forward in the UK so he gets them in in time. He would have missed the 13 mth ones, but now should have them 2 wks before we leave.

Do you have to pay for future immunisations?

Guest salisbury massive

the only immunisation I've ever been told I have to pay for is Chickenpox, but i believe thats free if the kids are born before a certain date. i go to the Tea Tree Gully Council for my immunisations where it is free. Even my eldest who is 15, got free immunisations there. i was told some doctors charge you if they don't have the immunisation in the surgery and they give you a prescription to take to the chemist and you have to pay for it.

I was fully up to date when we arrived with Hayley who was 15 months at the time. However the Clinic repeated some Immunisations as they believe here that the kids don't get lifelong protection if the immunisations are given in the early months. well thats what they told me at the clinic when I protested she'd already had some of the injections they wanted to give her.

Jo

Is it free on a temp visa (475)?

Do they have to have chickenpox jab? How weird, hardly a deadly disease! My eldest 2 have had chickenpox anyway... would they still need it?

Hmm.... I wouldn't be happy about them getting the jabs twice either

I have bought my sons immunisations (12 mth and 13 mth ones) forward in the UK so he gets them in in time. He would have missed the 13 mth ones, but now should have them 2 wks before we leave.

Hi Jo

That's really interesting, I think Ill try and do the same then its all sorted for a while. Just out of interest, where are you going to live? Just being nosey.:)

Hi Jo

Just out of interest, where are you going to live? Just being nosey.:)

The ultimate question! lol

No idea, we are waiting to hear from the SA government about OAA but if not then we'll be based at my parents in Glenelg while we find our own place. Can't afford Glenelg, but somewhere not too far from there would be what we hope for. Saying that, you never really get a feel for places until you see them, so who knows? Where will you be based?

Hiya Jo

We are pretty set on Flagstaff Hill, Aberfoyle Park or Coromandel Valley, have researched everywhere but like you say, you don't know until you have been. We have friends in Marion and in Coromandel Valley so have taken their advice, also we have an estate agent who will sort us a rental for our arrival and she is based in Flagstaff Hill so we will begin there! Probably can't afford to buy for 2years so by then we will definatley know where to base ourselves.

Good luck with it all.