I am seeing two MPs and need PIA members permission to highlight employment issues.

Guest cazzie

Hi there

I am in two minds on this one. I think it may be a good idea as I have been looking at jobs and alot do state you have to have PR, however, my concern is for those of us who haven't got visas (475 in my case) as yet, this could possibly lead the Government to re-look at their immigration policies and change them.

Lisa

Hiya Lisa,

Thanks for your response and I understand your concerns. I would think it unlikely that the government would change the immigration policies to make it worse for people emigrating (but obviously I don't know that). However, it's worth remembering that South Australia has a population of approximately 1.58 million and wants to increase the population to 2 million by 2050. They need us, so should be more willing to accommodate us. I agree with Cornish Busdriver that people coming here need to do as much research as possible before coming over, but from what I see, most people are doing exactly that. It is just immoral to encourage people over here due to a skills shortage but then slap them in the face when they do have the experience and skills.

I do feel very strongly about this and will be taking it as far as I can.

I appreciate any points of view even if they don't agree with mine.

Thanks again

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to go with what Cornish bus driver says. We did do a lot of research and I realised quite a few posts I was looking at was for PR and since lodging our visa - it seems there are no jobs for my area anymore and I have looked at other states and they are asking for PR as well. I have emailed my professional body in Australia and they have basically said its the luck of the draw! However, we are willing to accept any position we can no matter if its just cleaning the streets until I can find a job in my field offering a position to TR.

Like our migration agent says " There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going"!

I do though wonder if there is any resentment to people going over and looking for jobs - does anyone think this could be the reason it seems to prove difficult to get a job?

Just my thoughts!

Hi Lisa,

I think you may be right - maybe there is resentment but Bill says he works with loads of Aussies and is unaware of any resentment. He has worked here for 19 years in the IT field, but who knows? Maybe in Trades (plumbing, carpentry etc) there is some resentment but that doesn't take away from the fact that there are skills shortages (apparently) and that they need to be filled.

Good luck with the job hunting

Guest guest569

I feel to get your foot in the door it does seem to be a bit like who you know not what you know. Then once your in you then show them how good you are.

Recomendations seem to go along way.

Hi Cazzie

Although you have good intentions, I think your actions could backfire on people trying to come over and get into Australia. The easiest solution for Australia to tackle this problem would be to lower the amount of migrants coming into the country and with the globabl ecomonic crisis, I think this is a real possibility.

The Australian's (rightly so!) do not like being told what to do in their own country. This is not a nanny state like the UK and you are expected to come over here and make a go of it, at the end of the day you have chose to come here and start a new life. We all complain in the UK about the Polish people coming over to the UK and taking jobs and claiming benefits, but why do some people then expect special treatment when they go to live in another country?

Have a look at this article from the UK that was on UK msn 31/01/09!

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.aspx?cp-documentID=13472417

One place I have worked in Adelaide had a high number of South Africans being brought over on temp visas (the Chief Exec was from South Africa) and it was perceived they were taking jobs from the Australians and the Aussies have threatened many times to go to the press about it. The company is now considering making redundancies and the staff have said if the Aussies go before the South Africans they will be going straight to the press/immigration about it.

I think you need to tread very carefully with this.

I think your thread has hightlighted it can be hard for some people on temp visas and therefore people in the UK thinking of making the move need to consider these factors carefully before making the move.

Guest caoimhe
Hiya Passionate Pom,Thanks for your reply. I understand your viewpoint but why shouldn't an employer consider a temporary/provisional visa holder for a permanent job? The point is that all of us here are on temp/provisional visas with a view to becoming permanent, not just here for a six month fruit picking experience. People have packed up their lives in England and settled their children here and deserve the chance to have a decent job on decent pay. I really don't see why the visa status should put employers off.

Thanks for your other salient points. I will be addressing these too and will print off your post for the MPs to take note of. Cheers.

I am glad you replied to this post as it very much annoyed me. We have sold our house in Ireland and brought our 4 children here to make a better life for us all, we have no intention of going back after 3 years as we want to stay permanately but unfortunately did not qualify for PR. We get no government help and have always known this would be the case, we didn't come to OZ to live off the government. We are living on the money that we made from our home that took us 17 years to accumulate. So we have given up a lot to make this life work and only want a chance to prove ourselves.

My O/H has applied for 35 jobs that he is more than qualified for and not 1 interview but at the minute we honestly don't know if this has to do with our visa status. He has a job starting tomorrow for 1 week only in a factory which he got from a friend of my uncles, so I do think Adelaide is very much who you know.

Thank you for taking this up and I hope you get on well, if there is anything I can do pm me.:notworthy:

Guest Martin and Val

Please dont get me wrong, im not Knocking anyone who took the quick option by going for the temp visa but they should have research what restrictions or downsides come with it.

Hi Matt, Sorry but to suggest that going for a temp visa is a quick option is ridiculous. Many people on here come on a 475 or other types of temp visa as that's the only one they can get due to points shortages.

We were just 5 points short of PR and there was absolutely no way around it. We did do heaps of research and job applications and two recci's before we took the plunge and at no time did we come across a temp visa being an issue.

I have been turned down for a customer service role answering telephones due to non PR status which at the risk of sounded big headed is well below my skills level.

Val has gained a fantastic job in the city as an accounts manager with better pay than she had in England so it isn't impossible for temp Visa holder to find good work but so far I've nothing and I'm the main applicant!

Our second stage application for permanency goes to Federal Government not local and apparently we can apply using Val's name as the main applicant if I haven't met the criteria set.

This leads me into another issue we face.

Val's company have a great health care option specially designed for employees through Mutual Community but we can't join as we are not PR and don't have full Medicare entitlement and that's not the decision of the company it's solely because of the type of Medicare card we have.

While I appreciate it is up to our selves to find work and settle into our new Country some of the hurdles that we have to jump are just not fair.

We receive no benefits and we don't want them anyway as we don't feel entitled, we receive no hand out should we want to buy a house and we cant take any Government positions all this we knew before we came but to be discriminated against as we are classed as temp is wrong.

I think this is a great thread Cazzie but I also wonder if this could affect our chances even further by making it more of a public issue.

Good luck and I hope all goes well for everyone regardless of Visa type, we have all worked hard to get here and we certainly have no intention of it being temporary.

I will add that at no time have we come across any discrimination personally so we don't see any issue with that.

Martin

Guest cornish Busdriver

G'day Martin.

I know circumstances are different for everyone and not everyone qualfies for PR but there are people are coming here with the option of using a temp visa because it's quicker and then going for PR after 2 years without realizing the downsides of a temp visa and what doors or avenues are locked out to them.

We made lots of late night phone calls and ran up one hell of a bill, sent numouros emails to goverment departments, Adelaide council and employers and were told straight by all; that people coming here on a temp visa are quiet restricted to what employment they can do unless pre-aranged before coming here.

This is why went for the PR instead, it took a bit longer but was worth the wait.

I dont see why you turned down the customer service job even if you feel its below you, at least it still would have been a job and you would have something on your employment record here !!!!.

I feel to get your foot in the door it does seem to be a bit like who you know not what you know. Then once your in you then show them how good you are.

Recomendations seem to go along way.

Hello Passionate Pom,

I agree with what you are saying, but that doesn't make it right. Cheers.

Hi Matt, Sorry but to suggest that going for a temp visa is a quick option is ridiculous. Many people on here come on a 475 or other types of temp visa as that's the only one they can get due to points shortages.

We were just 5 points short of PR and there was absolutely no way around it. We did do heaps of research and job applications and two recci's before we took the plunge and at no time did we come across a temp visa being an issue.

I have been turned down for a customer service role answering telephones due to non PR status which at the risk of sounded big headed is well below my skills level.

Val has gained a fantastic job in the city as an accounts manager with better pay than she had in England so it isn't impossible for temp Visa holder to find good work but so far I've nothing and I'm the main applicant!

Our second stage application for permanency goes to Federal Government not local and apparently we can apply using Val's name as the main applicant if I haven't met the criteria set.

This leads me into another issue we face.

Val's company have a great health care option specially designed for employees through Mutual Community but we can't join as we are not PR and don't have full Medicare entitlement and that's not the decision of the company it's solely because of the type of Medicare card we have.

While I appreciate it is up to our selves to find work and settle into our new Country some of the hurdles that we have to jump are just not fair.

We receive no benefits and we don't want them anyway as we don't feel entitled, we receive no hand out should we want to buy a house and we cant take any Government positions all this we knew before we came but to be discriminated against as we are classed as temp is wrong.

I think this is a great thread Cazzie but I also wonder if this could affect our chances even further by making it more of a public issue.

Good luck and I hope all goes well for everyone regardless of Visa type, we have all worked hard to get here and we certainly have no intention of it being temporary.

I will add that at no time have we come across any discrimination personally so we don't see any issue with that.

Martin

Thanks for your comments Martin. I am really sorry if what I am doing is giving people cause for concern and promise not to use your post as evidence if you are at all worried about that. After all that's been said so far, I still feel that something needs to be done.

It is fantastic that Val has secured such a great job on a temp visa and it proves that it can happen. Go girl!

But, it seems like an awful lot of people are finding it far too difficult to find a job. We are seeing comments from people on the site who are put off coming here and from people who are considering going home because it's just too difficult. This isn't fair. Most do their research and know the score before they come here and most know that they won't get government help via benefits etc. But eventually the savings dry up - what then? It must be very, very difficult for those with small children and not enough income.

Obviously, my intentions are not to make anything more difficult for anyone - I would hate that, but I feel like I've sat back and done nothing for too long now.

Thanks again for your viewpoint Martin and good luck with the job hunting, I'm sure something will come up soon.

Guest caoimhe

[

G'day Martin.

I dont see why you turned down the customer service job even if you feel its below you, at least it still would have been a job and you would have something on your employment record here !!!!.

Think you shud reread Martin post, he was turned down not the other way round

Guest caoimhe

Please dont get me wrong, im not Knocking anyone who took the quick option by going for the temp visa but they should have research what restrictions or downsides come with it.

Good luck with your meeting and hope that you can get your points across to them.

We waited 18 mths on our 'temp' visa so this doesn't seem quick to me. We did not qualify for any other type of visa. Trust me coming out here with 4 kids and not entilted to anything was not our ideal solution but was the only one. We don't qualify for full medicare, if one of our kids gets sick and have to stay oveernight in hospital we will be hit for a massive bill, our option is to take private medical at at cost of $350 per month, that's a lot of money on top of everything else when you have no job and 4 children to support. So you may think temp visa is quick option but trust me its a bloody hard one, but will do our damnest to make this work as we have given up a lot already. If we had PR we would have arrived one day and got money from the government the next, but we are supporting ourselves and our children, and trust me I am worried sick about how we will manage in a months time, but we will do as we have come so far already and are determind

Hi Cazzie

Although you have good intentions, I think your actions could backfire on people trying to come over and get into Australia. The easiest solution for Australia to tackle this problem would be to lower the amount of migrants coming into the country and with the globabl ecomonic crisis, I think this is a real possibility.

The Australian's (rightly so!) do not like being told what to do in their own country. This is not a nanny state like the UK and you are expected to come over here and make a go of it, at the end of the day you have chose to come here and start a new life. We all complain in the UK about the Polish people coming over to the UK and taking jobs and claiming benefits, but why do some people then expect special treatment when they go to live in another country?

Have a look at this article from the UK that was on UK msn 31/01/09!

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/article.aspx?cp-documentID=13472417

One place I have worked in Adelaide had a high number of South Africans being brought over on temp visas (the Chief Exec was from South Africa) and it was perceived they were taking jobs from the Australians and the Aussies have threatened many times to go to the press about it. The company is now considering making redundancies and the staff have said if the Aussies go before the South Africans they will be going straight to the press/immigration about it.

I think you need to tread very carefully with this.

I think your thread has hightlighted it can be hard for some people on temp visas and therefore people in the UK thinking of making the move need to consider these factors carefully before making the move.

Hello Jessica,

Thanks very much for your views. I think you are right, the recession possibly will lower the amount of immigrants naturally, but that doesn't help the immigrants already here.

As for expecting special treatment, everybody who comes to Australia on a provisional visa understands that they have no or restricted access to traditional support systems such as benefits and Medicare. It is however, reasonable to expect a level playing field in terms of employment opportunities, and the treatment of people on provisional visas by employers doesn't seem to reflect this.

I personally, wouldn't compare this situation with the Polish in England because England has allowed itself to become an easy target for uncontrolled migration by unskilled workers who know that they will get the benefits. There is rightly no suggestion that Australia should or would be anything like that.

Regarding the situation with the South Africans, it seems like because the CEO was South African, it may be another case of 'who you know' and not what you know. South Australians are right to feel aggrieved about this but it might be worth remembering that the 'who you know' syndrome is simply working as it usually does.

Yes, it can be hard for people on provisional visas but rather than accept the status quo and discourage potentially successful migrants from coming here, maybe we should be trying to level that playing field. That's what my going to see MPs is all about.

Thanks again,

We waited 18 mths on our 'temp' visa so this doesn't seem quick to me. We did not qualify for any other type of visa. Trust me coming out here with 4 kids and not entilted to anything was not our ideal solution but was the only one. We don't qualify for full medicare, if one of our kids gets sick and have to stay oveernight in hospital we will be hit for a massive bill, our option is to take private medical at at cost of $350 per month, that's a lot of money on top of everything else when you have no job and 4 children to support. So you may think temp visa is quick option but trust me its a bloody hard one, but will do our damnest to make this work as we have given up a lot already. If we had PR we would have arrived one day and got money from the government the next, but we are supporting ourselves and our children, and trust me I am worried sick about how we will manage in a months time, but we will do as we have come so far already and are determind

Thanks for sharing your situation which clearly highlights the immense difficulties of a temp visa. I am amazed really at how determined people are to make it work regardless of the temp visa and I salute your efforts, it is very humbling. It must be so much more difficult having children and all the expense that they entail. Yes, you knew the score but you were and are, still very determined to make it work. I really hope it works out for you here. Your situation is exactly why I want to take this further.

Thanks again and good luck on the job front.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Hats off to you Caoimhe.

My message was ment as a dig at all temp visa holders as i know not everyone can get a PR visa.

I know of a few people here in Adelaide who could have got a PR visa but instead took a temp visa cause they could get there visa quicker and are now regretting it because they are being restricted.

Good luck to you and hope things work out soon.

Guest kfoley0681

hi i cant imagine your fustration and we have come on a permanant visa and think its ridiculas that my husband was a plumber in the uk for many years and had his own business we were accepted by the tra dept as a skilled plumber to get here and although he found a job quickly they want him to work as a apprentice/experienced plumber as the licencing board want him to do a college course before he is issued with a licence! i feel this is ridiculas when it was on the skills indemand list we were accepted as he proved he had the skills they wanted now he has to retrain!

Guest Lulujim
G'day Martin.

This is why went for the PR instead, it took a bit longer but was worth the wait.

Well that's lucky for you that you had the choice. I would guess that MOST people on here applying for a temp visa have had to as they do not qualify for PR.

It is most definitely NOT a quicker/cheaper route, it takes longer to be granted than PR, and the move to PR after time served isn't quick by all means. Added to that the lack of Medicare, benefits, housing grants etc etc.. how could it possibly be 'easier'??

So if you did no qualify for PR would you not have gone??

I doubt it - so it is not the lack of research that makes us choose Temporary visas, but the lack of choice.

It is still frustrating when the government are advertising and sponsoring us as they 'need' our skills, and when people move their families to the other side of the world they are unable to get jobs in that chosen field.

Well that's lucky for you that you had the choice. I would guess that MOST people on here applying for a temp visa have had to as they do not qualify for PR.

It is most definitely NOT a quicker/cheaper route, it takes longer to be granted than PR, and the move to PR after time served isn't quick by all means. Added to that the lack of Medicare, benefits, housing grants etc etc.. how could it possibly be 'easier'??

So if you did no qualify for PR would you not have gone??

I doubt it - so it is not the lack of research that makes us choose Temporary visas, but the lack of choice.

It is still frustrating when the government are advertising and sponsoring us as they 'need' our skills, and when people move their families to the other side of the world they are unable to get jobs in that chosen field.

Hi Lulujim,

I agree with everything you have said, who the hell would come on a temp visa if they had a choice? I have been reading the immigration site and I find it so difficult to believe that people on temp visas are not entitled to any Medicare whatsoever. This is just incredible! Australia want people here, but if they are ill then God help them. To have to spend a fortune on your health when you have no steady income and dwindling funds is a disgrace. I think this is inhumane and will be taking up this issue as well.

Many thanks and good luck.

Cazzie..you are a godsend. I've only just got in from a wee night out but will PM you with information we have collated too (tomorrow)... But a typical example was a job advert in the Advertiser today which my husband is sooooo suited for "Community Correctional Officer"...the job description is practially his job when he was in the prison service. I showed it to him and the first thing he said "it's a govenment job..so what's the point". Grrrrrrr...I had a look at the form online and noticed that it had different categories of how long they can employee you and on what basis and Contract was one option ..and 12 months was another. I appreciate the job advertised was permanent but I said he should write a letter and state that he'd take contracting work till he becomes a permanent resident...he didn't seem to keen but I think it's worth a shot. I wish I'd known that the 475 barred you from Government jobs though...there was never aaaaany mention of this anywhere..no-one told us. Sigh.

It's a tough world over here..but we just have to keep plugging away, I never thought it would be easy but it does feel discriminating :-(

Cazzie..just so chuffed you're taking this under your wing...well done..I totally applaud you.

Carol Ann

Hi Carol Ann,

Thanks for your PM. I have tried to PM you back but unfortunately I was unable to send. Thanks for your information and support, it is much appreciated.

Hi Cornish - just to say shame you didn't do your research properly regarding IT jobs though eh? Haven't I read before that's what you wanted to do instead of going back to bus driving here? So maybe you're not so perfect after all - just finished work so a bit annoyed by some of your comments. Let's see if you feel the same when you have been here a little longer

I don't know Cazzie but think she is doing a brilliant thing - wish I'd had the guts to do it :notworthy:

Looks like another post where someone is trying to help others and getting comments about it turning it into a them and us situation - everyone is entitled to their opinions but not by putting down some who have worked hard in getting here. We've got no sprogs but hats off to them who have and doing their best to make this their home - rant over - bad day at work today!!!!!!! I'll put my toys back in the pram now :biglaugh:

We need to understand why employers are refusing to employ people who only have a provisional visa. To be told 'NO' without a valid explanation is not good enough. Once we find out why, only then can we begin to address the problem.

Who are these employers? How about having a sticky thread where we can list employers who have refused provisional visa holders? And what reason if any was given? These employers can then be reported to SA Immigration with evidence provided.

If anything is to change, then hard facts are needed. Is there a lack of understanding amongst employers? Do they view 475 visas like working holiday visas & think that we are going to go home after a few months? Does the word Temporary put them off? Do they realise that provided visa conditions are met, we are able to get PR after 2 years in SA (assuming we can find 12 months worth of work!!)

I'm not in SA yet & expect it to be hard when I arrive, but to face employment discrimination just because I don't have PR is no different than racial discrimination. I know there are certain industries which require citizenship & I accept this, but a right to work in a country means exactly that, irrespective of what visa you hold.

We need to understand why employers are refusing to employ people who only have a provisional visa. To be told 'NO' without a valid explanation is not good enough. Once we find out why, only then can we begin to address the problem.

Who are these employers? How about having a sticky thread where we can list employers who have refused provisional visa holders? And what reason if any was given? These employers can then be reported to SA Immigration with evidence provided.

If anything is to change, then hard facts are needed. Is there a lack of understanding amongst employers? Do they view 475 visas like working holiday visas & think that we are going to go home after a few months? Does the word Temporary put them off? Do they realise that provided visa conditions are met, we are able to get PR after 2 years in SA (assuming we can find 12 months worth of work!!)

I'm not in SA yet & expect it to be hard when I arrive, but to face employment discrimination just because I don't have PR is no different than racial discrimination. I know there are certain industries which require citizenship & I accept this, but a right to work in a country means exactly that, irrespective of what visa you hold.

Hi Pesty,

Thanks very much for your superb post and relevant points. Yes, I agree that all of these points should be looked at. I can quite understand anyone's fear of naming names but they could PM me. I think our MPs need to know if employers do have a lack of understanding and what the word 'temporary' or 'provisional' actually mean to them. We need to know too. After all, the whole point of coming here is to be permanent, but without the work, that will prove difficult. Yes, 'a right to work' just about sums it up. I will be putting your questions to the MP.

Thank you and good luck with the entire emigration process.

Guest cornish Busdriver

Hi Devon.

You have had a bad day at work !!!!!!!!!! hit with your worst i can take it.

My comments were not to affend anyone, it was a constructive comment not a dig.

I did over 18 months or research into the IT industry in my sector of work contacting companys by phone, email, fax and talking online with company directors. The job offers were there but the pay is not what i was willing to work for, It was good but not good enough for me not to start working for myself later on.

Im lucky i had another line of employment to fall back on till all my software and other computers arrives.

I know of quiet a few people in Oz not just Adelaide that have come here on a temp visa because they didnt wanna wait the time for a PR visa. So im not having a dig as i dont like it when people do that but the estimated time for processing a temp visa is suposed to be 6 months quicker than a PR visa.

My hat comes off to anyone here on a temp visa, personally i dont think i could have come here and managed if i had to and i admire anyone who has had the strenth to make the move.

Guest caoimhe
I know of quiet a few people in Oz not just Adelaide that have come here on a temp visa because they didnt wanna wait the time for a PR visa. So im not having a dig as i dont like it when people do that but the estimated time for processing a temp visa is suposed to be 6 months quicker than a PR visa.

Well I find that hard to understand as I know people on this forum who lodged their application after us and got there visa before us eg we lodged our temp visa on14th August 2007 and I know Django lodged his PR visa after that and he got his before us, and this is not the only example. Im not giving off about some getting visas before others just that this is shows that temp visa do not come through quicker

Guest Martin and Val

OK, I must add to this thread again.

I'm pleased that it was noted that I didn't turn the job down it turned me down and the company was "AGL" the electricity supplier. So they can consider them selves named and shamed!

I still can't see where this argument about temp is quicker than PR to get. That's a load of *****.

I started a thread on here last year which I recently resurrected called "Time Line" take a look at it and see how long some people wait for their Visa's, they are all over the place and no one can say that Temp is quicker!

I take my hat of to "Caoimhe" and all others who have brought their children over here to this great country that we now call home and I wish you all good luck in your new lives.

Oh Cazzie, sorry I gave the wrong impression you can use anything I have said, good luck and thank you for what you are trying to do.

Martin