bill

Provisional or Temporary Visas?

I'm a bit confused by all the talk of "temporary" visas on various threads at the moment, and I think that we need to be clear on what we are talking about. As far as I can see, much of the talk about 475 visas has referred to them as "temporary". They are in fact provisional visas, meaning that assuming you satisfy certain criteria, you can apply to become a permanent resident.

I wonder if any of the problems people have reported with employers refusing to consider people on such visas, are due to the employer thinking that you are on a temporary visa (meaning you have to leave Australia after a specified time) as opposed to a provisional visa (meaning, in the case of the 475, that if you have lived here for 2 years and worked for 1, you can become a permanent resident).

If, however, employers are refusing to employ 475 visa holders because they are provisional, we should be lobbying to have the law changed, so that they can only ask "temorary visa or not?". They shouldn't be allowed to refuse to employ people on the basis of not being permanent residents when the only thing preventing permanent residency is getting a job!

It's a catch 22 situation - if you can't get the work, you can't satisfy the visa requirements, but if they refuse to employ you because of the type of visa, then you can't get the work! :arghh:

Rest assured my Cazzie will be raising this with our parliamentary representatives!

Guest caoimhe

This is a very good point Bill, we even say ourseleves that we are on a temp visa when infact it is a provisional.

Form now on I will state that I am on a provisional visa

Guest Martin and Val

All good points Bill, but sorry to say although it is a provisional Visa it states in the Visa it's self in your passport that it is "TEMPORY RESIDENT" and that "Holder is permitted to remain in Australia for 03 years from date of first entry of the primary applicant"

We have come across this also with Medicare as we are classed as "VISITORS" and cant progress to the next level of Medicare until we have applied for permanency. This has prevented us from taking up a fantastic health offer from Val's company as we don't have the correct Medicare Card!

There are many restrictions more seem to surface each day!

Cheers

Martin

Were probably lucky and hubby got the first job he went for and provisional visa status wasn't a problem, they didn't even ask, but in the covering application letter, he just put that he had full work rights in australia or something like that.

All good points Bill, but sorry to say although it is a provisional Visa it states in the Visa it's self in your passport that it is "TEMPORY RESIDENT" and that "Holder is permitted to remain in Australia for 03 years from date of first entry of the primary applicant"

We have come across this also with Medicare as we are classed as "VISITORS" and cant progress to the next level of Medicare until we have applied for permanency. This has prevented us from taking up a fantastic health offer from Val's company as we don't have the correct Medicare Card!

There are many restrictions more seem to surface each day!

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin,

This is a perfect example of what I'm trying to clarify. Cazzie's spouse visa (which is of course completely different from the 475) makes no mention of a time limitation, says "provisional" and not "temporary" and states "unlimited travel until the permanent visa application has been decided". The "Temporary" wording and time limitation on your visa seems to me to put you at a disadvantage. Maybe if that wording was less specific about a time limitation, and didn't say "Temporary", it might not put employers off so much. After all, it's not really temporary, as in "you have to go home at the end of 3 years". The great likelihood is that people on such visas will want to stay, and will be allowed to stay - so why shouldn't the visa contain wording that is well thought out, rather than the current ambiguity, which might well put potential employers off.

Cheers,

Bill

PS Congrats on Val's job - you won't be short of lemonade for a while! :)