Guest Jamie&Carrie

How well do you think I'll do?

Guest Jamie&Carrie

I start work next week for a huge insurance company as a claims consultant. I am looking forward to starting work believe it or not, as it's been 12 weeks since I last worked and I hope this will help give a feeling of normality back to my life.

I do have a reservation...

Will the Aussies accept me? It sounds like a daft question but I will be working in a team of around 12 and there are also 2500+ employee's working here in Adelaide and I reckon I could be the only pom. One thing I enjoyed about work or any work was being in a team and having good platonic relationships inside 'and' outside of work..

I hope to have this again..

A few people I have spoken to have told me it is hard to 'get in' with them.

I have some friends already in Adelaide god bless em(two being aussie (Ja my Sydney mate and a guy called Nick whom I met through a friend who lives in L.A. in America would you believe!!) and a couple of brits and other expats I met through here and in the hostel I stayed in(you guys n gals who are reading this know who ya are!)).

But work friends are also an integral part of my life that makes my job (any job) more enjoyable.

So what's your take on it?

Guest KP Nuts

Well first of all congratulations on the job, secondly you must of had an interview so they must have liked you to get the job offer, and thirdly you'll be fine, just last minutes nerves.

Let us know how you get on.

Guest donna T

You will be fine - I have just started work in a large call centre and there are only a couple of English voices around. As far as I can tell - no one has taken any notice of where I am from or has much interest - we were all new together,

So please don;t worry

xx

Guest Martin and Val

I'm sure all will go well, congratulations and good luck.

Martin and Val

Which insurance company ?? I worked at SGIC for nearly 3 years as a contractor in the IT department (converting the claims systems). The work culture was a bit different to the UK but everyone was really friendly, it was a really nice office to work in. Just work hard and join in drinks down the pub at luchtime and you'll be fine !!! nw

Guest BAZnDAF

Congratulations on the job. :) I'm sure there will be more poms working there

Guest Trakki

Good luck, as long as you are yourself you will be fine. I got told by a friend to make sure I didn't refer to England all the time (like saying in England we did it like this) which I didn't do, no reason really. Find though that I am constantly being asked, 'did you do it like this in England?' or what's such and such like!! ' I have just been my normal self, get the mickey taken out of me sometimes for the way I say something or calling something by a different name but it is all done in good jest so I don't mind. Another thing I found is that the majority that I work with either have English parents, grandparents or are married to English men. Sorry waffling really

Good luck and I am sure you will be fine.

Guest Jamie&Carrie
    Which insurance company ?? I worked at SGIC for nearly 3 years as a contractor in the IT department (converting the claims systems). The work culture was a bit different to the UK but everyone was really friendly, it was a really nice office to work in. Just work hard and join in drinks down the pub at luchtime and you'll be fine !!! nw

Thanks for all your well wishes guys. :notworthy:

Anne, I'm starting with Allianz based in the CBD.

If there are 2500 employees here in Adelaide I very much doubt you'll be the only Pom - there will probably be Italians, Greeks, South Africans and several other nationalities as well! You'll be fine, congratulations on getting the job, just keep your sense of humour and remember, the aussies tend to call a spade a spade so don't take offense at any Pom comments, once they start teasing you about that you'll know you've been accepted!

Guest Jamie&Carrie
    If there are 2500 employees here in Adelaide I very much doubt you'll be the only Pom - there will probably be Italians, Greeks, South Africans and several other nationalities as well! You'll be fine, congratulations on getting the job, just keep your sense of humour and remember, the aussies tend to call a spade a spade so don't take offense at any Pom comments, once they start teasing you about that you'll know you've been accepted!

I reckon we'll have the usual 'introduce yourself' session on the first day and I know we're gonna have some 'workshops' that will help those who haven't got any 'call centre' experience <Cringe!> :wideeyed:

Ya know the ones...roleplay et al helps with active listening, problem solving etc. I'm not the biggest fan of those BUT I know they help and I guess they could be good icebreakers to.

In the meet and greet if I refer to myself as a POM (you know to break the ice somewhat) would they think I was trying to hard or do you reckon they will think I'm taking the piss?