Guest covfan71

Police Checks

Guest covfan71

Hi All,

does anyone know how deep they go when doing police checks. I have a niggly feeling that about 20 years ago in my teen years i may have received a caution, don't remember. I know these are only valid 5 years but stay on your record for life. (cousin is a policeman). Just wondering if that could jeapoardise my Visa. Has anyone else had a problem

Guest covfan71
    The good news is...

It will not jeapoardise your visa.

Rob

That is good news, but how do you know?

Guest Jamie&Carrie
    That is good news, but how do you know?

Just declare everything to the DIAC if you're unsure, sometimes things have a way of coming back to you if you fabricate/omit anything, it's best to be safe than sorry.

Ergo don't give your app the kaibosh just cos of this.

If you're worried that much you can always speak to a migration agent for an official stand point on this.

All the best.

Guest BAZnDAF

The Police certificates will either show as 'No Trace' which means you have NEVER been convicted, 'No Live Trace' which means you have a conviction which has now been stepped down (as they put it), OR they will list current convictions and any pending court cases.

If your certificate is likely to be returned with 'No Live Trace' (which mine was, well what can I say, I was a bit of a lad back then.) then you MUST have declared it on your visa application.

best policy is be totaly honest.

I don't think a caution is classed as a conviction, check with your police officer friend.

Barry