Guest squeaky

bring my car

Guest squeaky

Hello everyone

Has anyone any experience of transporting their own car from the UK to SA? How much would it cost and what are the pitfalls?

I'm wondering if its worth it or not as money may be tight on our arrival.

Thanks

Guest Team 'W'

Hi Squeaky

Were hoping to do the same and I would be interested in any info on this as well. As I understand it we should be able to fit the OHs car in our container as we arent bringing that much over with us. I think I read somewhere that you have to pay import duty or something at Customs. Dont think its that much and maybe somebody else could shed some light on it for us? ;)

Guest squeaky

I've heard alsorts too some say not worth it as cost to register is high but its got to be worth it for a few hundred !!

Guest Pies

Hi all,

Good article for you here: http://australia.wikia.com/wiki/BritVics/ImportingYourCar

We looked at it, researched the total all-up costs and decided against it: mainly because they assess the value of the car on what you paid for it, not what it is worth now: a £5k car now bought for £23k 5 years ago is assessed at £23k.

Then you have a lot of import red tape and cleaning etc to look at.

It is possible, just need to look at the full picture.

Pies

I would not. The Red Tape and expense is daunting.Besides,Adelaide is packed to the rafters with Cars for sale of every denomination known to man!Good Luck,Billy.