jo_marnes

5 weeks until the BIG MOVE!! Anyone else on similar timescale?

Hello!

I'm having an excited moment :v_SPIN:

We are moving in 36 DAYS! Wahoo! Anyone else moving to Adelaide in March?

First I'll introduce us! I'm Jo, I'm 25 and I am a Mum of 3. This is my job for the time being! I have a qualification in Biomedical Science and I hope to eventually train in midwifery over in Oz. My husband is Mark, he's 31, and we have got our visa using his job - Computer Support Technician. Our children - all boys - are Aaron (5) who loves Chelsea FC, food and Lego, James (2) who loves trains and In The Night Garden and Leo (almost 1!) who loves pulling my hair and his brothers :). My parents and my Sister live in Glenelg (moved Aug 08) and we can't wait to see them again!

It's all gone a bit mad over here. We have shipped our stuff (ETA 4/4/09), applied for OAA through SA government, just sorted our bank account and seem to be buried under the 'to do' list. We have rented the house but still need to sell lots and organise. Our biggest hassle at the moment is selling our car because we need the money to buy our new car in Oz - and its not easy to get a car to fit 3 child seats in! Plus Mark has no job to go to - eek!:shocked:

We have no idea where we want to live eventually. Hence we have no idea where the kids will go to school. We figure we will have to work around whatever job Mark (eventually) gets.

I go through so many different emotions - excitement, anticipation, horror, stress, sadness and hope. I'm not worried about the lifestyle particularly - its money issues that are the concern. Being on a temp visa we won't get any benefits (tax credits and family allowance) which we get here. But I know that we can apply for PR after a couple of years. Its just trying to remember the 'big picture' when you have no funds that I'm worried about.

I'm also feeling like I'm forgetting something.... anyone got any tips on what they should have done before they left? We have booked flights, taxi to airport, got visa stamp in passports, got 2 appts with job agencies, shipped our stuff, have advertised other bits for sale, rented house, transferred money..... can't think of the rest of it off the top of my head.

Anyway, would love to meet up with other expats making the move soon, or have been there a while or even for ages! I need company, tips and a laugh!

Look forward to hearing from you!

Jo xxx

Wow all thats making my head spin never mind yours. Enjoy your last weeks in the UK and hope all goes well for you - can't wait to hear how you get on.

Kim x:D

Hi Jo

We're waiting on a 175 skilled independent - submitted last August and waiting patiently!

Hi Jo

We're waiting on a 175 skilled independent - submitted last August and waiting patiently!

Awww the wait is awful. Our visa came through months before expected, which was amazing (though we still waited 6 mths!). I'm not sure how long you expect to wait for a 175? Best of luck with your application xxx

jo sounds like you got everything sorted hehe good luck and hope to see ya when u have settled down:v_SPIN:

kim how are ya gurl? nearly there now fingers crossed its soon;)

sue xxx

I know the wait is really starting to get to me now - haven't even got a CO yet so its anyones guess about "when"! Ho hum :daydreaming:

Kim x

jo sounds like you got everything sorted hehe good luck and hope to see ya when u have settled down:v_SPIN:

kim how are ya gurl? nearly there now fingers crossed its soon;)

sue xxx

Hi Sue

Believe me I've got everything crossed - will probably be in knots by the time we get a visa! We'll get there eventually.

Kim x

Guest the4hopes

Write a shopping list, for things when you get, here keep it safe. Its like being spun around a few times and then dumped in a shop with nothing you recognise! We were shopping for about 1/2 hr with still only tea bags in our trolley!

Also get everything ready a few days before you go, we were still packing and weighing cases and clearing the house up until our taxi arrived, I am usually so organised! Our visitors were still arriving to say goodbye 10 pm the night before,and wanting to talk for ages!!!

Also get plenty of sleep if you can!

And enjoy the whole thing, so you can look back with happy memories.

Laura x

Guest BRG1200

We're off on 28th Feb, land on 2nd March. Will stay with friends in Rosewater (nice) for a few days then off to my wife's sisters in Elizabeth (not the best area).

Shedloads to do, sold house here so when we leave the new people move in.

Hope they're nice to our neighbours, we have such nice neighbours.

We have a good few friends and contacts in Adelaide as my wife Juliette is from there.

Like your hubby I have no job arranged yet, just agency appts, and Juliette does not want to contemplate one herself until our two young children are "settled". Our boy is nearly 4 and our little girl is nearly 18 months. They both love the beach. Hope there is plenty else they'll love.

Nerve-wracking isn't it?

Hi Jo,

Reading your thread, you seem so organised. When did you start this process, was it after you got notification of your visa.

We were appointed a Case Officer on 28.1.09 and requested to get medicals done. These are booked for 20.2.09

It seems that you have done the hardest part, just look forward to your new life and future in Adelaide. I am sure it will be as you thought it would be.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Alison x

Oh sorry - didn't realise I had more replies! Usually I get an e-mail but not this time.

I didn't start planning anything regarding the move until the visa grant, but what with my parents haveing made the move last year it all seems vaguely familiar. I know the steps they had to take (which I may never have thought of on my own!) and have tried to sort those so its not a last minute panic.

My parents were also weighing their suitcases not long before departure and leaving stuff behind! I don't want to do that, but I can see that its very easy to run out of time in those last few days. I was thinking earlier about how on earth I was going to manage selling the last few bits, packing, washing, cleaning the entire house (for new tenants), seeing family and making sure all paperwork is in order. I feel stressed just thinking about it!

I picked up the forms to re-direct our mail today - another job done (though not sent off, haha!).

Selling our car is being a real pain. I have put it in Autotrader this week and just keep getting spam e-mails and annoying phone calls from really 'helpful' people who will introduce buyers to me for a nominal fee of £79.95...... yeah right! Grrrrrrr

I am also feeling the need to shop! I keep thinking of things I need. I should make a list really, but I have lists coming out of my ears and am fast running out of paper, hehe.

I cancelled many household bills this week too - some needed 31 days notice (Sky) so it was good to sort that. We are away next week and so I wouldnt be able to do it then. Plus side is that we are owed money back from Council Tax and TV License - not much but it pays for the cancellation fees on the household insurance (theiving gits).

Not much else to report - anyone thinks of anything, let me know!

Jo xx

Good luck to everyone on there way here, sure you will all love it. As for getting organised, you seem like you got the most important things covered. Only extra thing we did was to get the miedicla records for the family from our doctor and take them with us. The little red book things they fill in in the UK for vaccinations etc, take that with you, cos they change them over to their version of it (blue book), well they did with us anyway. And when you get here, get to the medicare office, as you entitled to full medicare cover on reciprocal health care agreement. We tried to take out private health, but for us it worked out twice as much for half the benfits of PR's.