Big dog to Oz!

Trevali

We are looking into exporting our bullmastiff dog to Adelaide. Unsure of the procedure to follow and timescales of preparing documentation etc prior to departure.

Is it true that for the pet to travel to Adelaide, means him being kennel quarantined at Sydney as the closer Melbourne kennels are getting over populated. This means we would have to transfer him from Sydney to Adelaide. All extra costs!!

Has anybody been through this process with their pet. Any advice most welcome on cost etc.

Thanks

Alison x

Guest brandyslad
We are looking into exporting our bullmastiff dog to Adelaide. Unsure of the procedure to follow and timescales of preparing documentation etc prior to departure.

Is it true that for the pet to travel to Adelaide, means him being kennel quarantined at Sydney as the closer Melbourne kennels are getting over populated. This means we would have to transfer him from Sydney to Adelaide. All extra costs!!

Has anybody been through this process with their pet. Any advice most welcome on cost etc.

Thanks

Alison x

We looked into taking our Boxer, he is a bigger than the average boxer and it was roughly going to cost 3 to 4 grand at least. Costs aside though apparently a lot of airlines were reluctant to take him cos of his snub nose as they are more likely to have difficulties breathing in the air. I think they have to be in quarantine for a month when you get there and they have tests etc to do before they go. Plus we are in Ireland and there was the whole added business of getting him over to Heathrow ect as I think to send him from Dublin was astronomical. Then I worried about getting a rental that would allow us to have him as he is so big a lot of people see him and think he would be destructive or dirty, when actually he is very clean and strangely for a boxer doesn't chew everything in sight!

In the end up we have decided not to take him which is the one thing casting a shadow over this whole business but he is going to my parents, they love him and actually told me they wanted to keep him when I started talking about going to Australia, initally I completly planned to bring him.

Check out Airpets for more info. Hopefully someone who has gone through with can advise you.

Guest Martin and Val

We used Air-pets to fly our dogs over and they had to go to Melbourne, yes you do have to pay again to fly them to Adelaide after their quarantine at which point we used Jet Pets.

When we collected Megan from the airport she was very different and quiet but it didn't take long for her to get back to normal and she has settled very well and really loves her daily walk on the beach.

If you asked us would we do it again then sorry we wouldn't as our Boxer didn't make it and developed complications on the flight over, unfortunately he died the day we arrived and we never got to say our final good byes to him. We still miss him terribly and our loss of him is the only thing that has affected our new lives. We are very happy with our lives here in Australia but constantly wonder if we did the right thing or not.

brandyslad, in our opinion you have done the right thing if we had did what you are doing our Boxer would probably have still been enjoying him self in the snow.

What ever people decide regarding their pets is a personnel choice, a hard one but one you have to make. Our Boxer was 9 years old and it's to late now but we should have allowed him to stay in England no matter what the emotional cost may have been.

Good luck with everything.

Guest brandyslad

brandyslad, in our opinion you have done the right thing if we had did what you are doing our Boxer would probably have still been enjoying him self in the snow.

What ever people decide regarding their pets is a personnel choice, a hard one but one you have to make. Our Boxer was 9 years old and it's to late now but we should have allowed him to stay in England no matter what the emotional cost may have been.

Good luck with everything.

Thanks for this, this must have been terrible, it would knock me sideways if we arrived and then something happened him, you know what I mean being a Boxer lover, their personality makes it absolutely impossible to not become so attached to them. It is a tough choice but I know he will have a good home here. He is such a big wuss! and used to having company all the time as I work from home, that the journey and quarantine would really upset him, and my dad said he would probably get it tough to come through it. Some breeds are more robust and I have heard of people who have taken dogs over with no probs (such as Megan) but when he has been offered such a good home here I can't pass it up.

Guest Milliesdad

Hi, we also have a boxer. She's 8 years old and a very loving family dog. We have decided that when the time comes we will not be bringing her as we don't think she will travel well. Its heart breaking to think of it so we will be making the most of our time with her. We've decided to give her to some friends of ours who already have a boxer, but they always look after ours when we go on holiday and love her to bits. We know she'll be going to a loving home, and that helps somewhat.