Guest wijaya

Overseas job on 475 visa

Guest wijaya

Hi all

We are now waiting for our 475 visa to SA. I know that to qualify for a permanent residency we need to work at least 12 months, and live 2 years there. Regarding the job, can anybody help with my query. Do all the works must be with employers in Australia to qualify for this ? I am now in the process of agreeing to work as a foreign correspondent for a publication based outside Australia. I will work full time for them. Will this qualify as a work as part of 475 visa requirement?

Regards

As far as i recall, 457 visas is a sponsored visa by a company and you have to remain working for the sponsoring company for the visa to remain valid. If you change employer, then you have to get new employer to take over the visa. As for an overseas company, i'm not sure if this would qualify for the 457 visa. Best get onto your migration agent and check before you go any further.

Guest tooeasy

there is a air con duct installer that i have been working with and he is on a state sponsored visa he has been here nearly 2 years and applied for his ressidency and was turned down he has worked for the 2 years only taking 2 weeks holiday

he asked diac why he had been refused and they told him they dont have to give a reason

he has bought a house here and is all settled he is gutted his employer does not want him to leave so now his employer is going to sponsor him for another 2 years then hopefully the economic melt down will have passed by then and he will get ressidency

:unsure:

Guest tonyree

Just got interested in this one. My understanding is, this migration program is about addressing the aging population of australia and the skills shortage so if you are going to be working elsewhere then you do not address any of these two ,so you are not entitled to anything.The australian system will not be benefiting anything. You can read migration booklet 5 to see what i mean. its found on their website.

I am not so sure if diac is not supposed to give a reason as to why they cannot give you permanent residence. I have found australian migration program to be one of the most transparent systems. Should one have a problem you can approach the ombadsman especially if you have met all the set requirements unless we are not getting the full story..If you look on their website they give the details of the said office.

Just to clarify, I think the OP is on a 475 visa not the 457 which is a company sponsored visa.

The 475 is a State sponsored Independent Visa so the holder is not tied to a particular company.

The only thing on the DIAC website about working is

" You can apply for a permanent visa after you have: lived for two (2) years in a Specified Regional Area and worked, including being self-employed, for one (1) year in these same areas."

Doesn't say who the employer has to be but obviously worth checking up on with DIAC.

As far as I understand the 475(or 495 as was) is a provisional visa and as long as you work for 1 year and live for 2 years in a regional area of Australia (and subject to health and police checks) the permanent visa will be granted.

HTH

Lea

Guest tooeasy

he had worked for the 2 years and has spoke to the ombudsman and they said it is up to diac whether he gets residency or not even if he has met all the requirements he even had a letter off his employer saying he was a valued member of their company

he seems ok as his company is going to sponser him

his agent just told him he thinks they are cutting back on the migrants coming in incase the recesion hits hard