niknjas

Driving test here or there

Hi Hoping someone can help me. Hubbie has driven 20+ years but I've had lessons, stopped and started for various different reasons. Took one test and failed miserably when I cut somebody up.

Just trying to figure out whether I should start my lessons agin here or do it over in Oz. If I took it over here, do you have to hold a british driving licence for a set period of time before you can apply for an Oz one?

Niki

Guest BAZnDAF

I would say take the test here in the UK, at least you know the area, which may make you feel more confident.

I would assume once you have a full license you could change it over there, not aware of any requirement to hold it for a certain period of time before your eligable. But I don't know for sure.

Might be worth dropping an email to the department in SA who manages the licenses.

Barry

Hi

I think I might have read something somewhere that you needed to have held your driving licence for 12 months in your own country before they will change it. I think this is right because my son is learning to drive and I said to him he needs to pass before June 09 so when we go in June 2010 he would have the 12 months.

Someone on here will know for sure. ;)

Regards Janine

Guest Bakers

Hi if your hubby has full license he justs takes it in & they issue you with full Australian license you can have a year,5,10 etc my hubby had 5 year think it cost about $180,as for you i was exactly the same over in UK & hated driving there came over here & realised you do really need to drive here,you get a learners permit you have to take theory first if you go onto raa.au they have the practise test & all info then you can opt to learn with hubby & take vort (test) or if like me you hate tests i decided to do cbt (competancy based training) you have instructor & they sign you off as learning once completed no test you just go onto your p plates which you hold for 2 years here before getting full license,i have the best instructor Chris & he settled my nerves within 1st hour & now after 4 hours he thinks i'll only need another 10 which is brilliant & i love driving over here roads much easier & learning in automatic also you have to complete a logbook here & have 50 hours driving experience before getting p's so i drive with my hubby all the time & they just have to sign book lessons are around $60 an hour so my advice would be to do it here hope that helps good luck Tess x