Electricians /migration experts please help!!!

Guest bessie

Hello :) my husband and i are totally confused! if anyone can advise us you are superstars cos we have tied ourselves in big knots!

i'm an australian citizian so the plan was for my husband to apply for a spouse visa. however we think he will only get temp resident visa as we havent been together for 5 years and havent much proof to show how long we've been together - tho are married and expecting baby (june 2009)

so big upset one is the temp visa

now we're panicing because we need to be able to prove he is fully qualified as an electrican. we were planning for him to do distance learning and exam at peer college in adelaide (where we want to migrate to) however he needs to prove to get onto that course that he is actually qualified as an electrician!!!

we know that most peeps do this thru VETASSESS but what do you do if you don't want to or need to apply for a skilled visa???? can you apply to be assessed by Vetasses even if you arent applying for a skilled visa?

also peer college apparently only accept TRA applications for their course, but the TRA no longer assess general electricians but pass them onto VETASSESS!

so if we go thru VETASSESS we cant go to peer college adelaide BUT we cant apply thru TRA as they dont accept overseas general electrician application!

i'm sure this is totally confusing to anyone who reads it! we are very confused!

if anyone can shed any light on the above please help!

we really dont want husband to have to apply for skilled visa cos of money, time etc (we want to go october this year)

thank you

hi,

thanks both for your replys, we are not so concerned about the visa as a spouse one should go through easy enough ( although be it resulting in a temp visa for the first 2 years)

the problem we are facing lies within trying to get my husband (matt) qualifications regognised by an australian governing body that will allow him to enrole on a wiring regs course at peer collage adelaide, they do not regognise Vetassess ( and we don't really want to do this as the cost and time is not within out budget/timescales, however thay do accept TRA who no longer deal with applications and pass everything onto vetassess......help!

We really need an expert or someone who understands this (better than we do) and can advise us the easiest/quickest/simplist way to get electrical qualifications assessed before we move to Oz............please if anyone understands this your help will be eternally greatful.

thanks, fingers crossed :)

Helen (26) Matt (30)

xxxx

Hello :) my husband and i are totally confused! if anyone can advise us you are superstars cos we have tied ourselves in big knots!

i'm an australian citizian so the plan was for my husband to apply for a spouse visa. however we think he will only get temp resident visa as we havent been together for 5 years and havent much proof to show how long we've been together - tho are married and expecting baby (june 2009)

so big upset one is the temp visa

now we're panicing because we need to be able to prove he is fully qualified as an electrican. we were planning for him to do distance learning and exam at peer college in adelaide (where we want to migrate to) however he needs to prove to get onto that course that he is actually qualified as an electrician!!!

we know that most peeps do this thru VETASSESS but what do you do if you don't want to or need to apply for a skilled visa???? can you apply to be assessed by Vetasses even if you arent applying for a skilled visa?

also peer college apparently only accept TRA applications for their course, but the TRA no longer assess general electricians but pass them onto VETASSESS!

so if we go thru VETASSESS we cant go to peer college adelaide BUT we cant apply thru TRA as they dont accept overseas general electrician application!

i'm sure this is totally confusing to anyone who reads it! we are very confused!

if anyone can shed any light on the above please help!

we really dont want husband to have to apply for skilled visa cos of money, time etc (we want to go october this year)

thank you

Not sure of your route for a visa, but I would suggest forgeting about the peer bit for a while they are just one of many training providers over here. Firstly to become a licenced electricain you need to go down the VETASSESS route, basically you send all your qualifications off to them and pay some money. You will need certs copies of certified and experiance certified ie letters from employers detailing what you do, tools you use, meters you use length of experiance etc, indentures, NVQs etc.

Then you do a trades test usually in the UK or at a TAFE here if you arrive here.

From this point you may be classed as a gerneral electrican.

When arriving here in Adelaide you send all your stuff off again to the same place (so keep two copies everything at least). You will then be issued a certificate as either a mechanic or fitter (electrical).

You then need to do the wiring rules (which is where Peer or TAFE come in, most people usually do Peer because it is quicker).

With both bits of paper you can then apply for an electrical licence.

Peer will allow you to do the wiring rules course from the UK but you cannot sit the test until you get here. You then need evidence that you are either going through the process of licensing or already have your electrical mechanic fitters licence.

Be careful that you have the experince and credntials (I am not saying you havent). As some people have migrated across here and then could not get licences and failed the process making you unemployeable as an electrican, only making you employeable as either an apprentice or a mate.

The way to get your courses cheaper is to apply for a CITB number search it on the web , quote this and you get the Peers CITB discount.

The man to speak to at Peer is Jess if you want to call, he is usually there Mondays.

Does this help?