Guest alan smallman

Are my feelings natural?

Guest alan smallman

Hi to you all.

We've been wanting to move to Oz for as long as we can remember but have never been in a position to either afford it or have never had the qualifications to be able to be accepted over there. But after 30 years of marriage, 3 adult kids later, a few qualifications later we finally have been able to apply to come over as RGN's. For the past two years we've worked hard to save for all the bits you have to pay for (you know the sort of things I mean, like medicals, visas, Nursing registration, etc). We've hopefully got someone coming to rent the house, and even if we don't we've decided that (after doing the sums) we can just about to afford to leave the house empty. Our youngest son is coming over with us on our visa (457 Temp working visa which we hope to change for PR when we feel the time is right) and our two eldest intend to come over when we have settled after 12 months or so. We're on target for meeting the costs of air fares, container, etc etc. Sooooooooooooooooooooo what's the problem you might ask?

Well, there aint one as such, but here's the thing......................................:embarrassed:.having worked hard to get to within a month of leaving for a country we know is better for a plethora of reasons...............................................We're 'bricking it'. Is this usual? did anyone else have panic attacks at the last minute having not really thought about it when they were busy organising it all? Is it natural to think 'are we doing the right thing?' I know we are but it feels like I'm in a swimming pool looking up at the diving board 20ft above me thinking 'that looks easy'. I've climbed up tha ladders with everyone watching me and walked to the edge, and as the row of 10 and 12-year old kids line up waiting patiently behind for me to jump, I just can't bring myself to do it!!! I know we ARE gonna do it, but I feel sooooooo scared. Did anyone else feel like this? We've been to Adelaide and we came back after a few weeks reccy, knowing that it was the place for us. we've got jobs and everything. I know it's just last minute nerves and I just need to take the leap of faith. just wanted to know if everyone else felt the same.

Apologies dor the big thread and Cheers for any feedback you give which will inevitably make me feel easier!!

XX Alan

Hi to you all.

We've been wanting to move to Oz for as long as we can remember but have never been in a position to either afford it or have never had the qualifications to be able to be accepted over there. But after 30 years of marriage, 3 adult kids later, a few qualifications later we finally have been able to apply to come over as RGN's. For the past two years we've worked hard to save for all the bits you have to pay for (you know the sort of things I mean, like medicals, visas, Nursing registration, etc). We've hopefully got someone coming to rent the house, and even if we don't we've decided that (after doing the sums) we can just about to afford to leave the house empty. Our youngest son is coming over with us on our visa (457 Temp working visa which we hope to change for PR when we feel the time is right) and our two eldest intend to come over when we have settled after 12 months or so. We're on target for meeting the costs of air fares, container, etc etc. Sooooooooooooooooooooo what's the problem you might ask?

Well, there aint one as such, but here's the thing......................................:embarrassed:.having worked hard to get to within a month of leaving for a country we know is better for a plethora of reasons...............................................We're 'bricking it'. Is this usual? did anyone else have panic attacks at the last minute having not really thought about it when they were busy organising it all? Is it natural to think 'are we doing the right thing?' I know we are but it feels like I'm in a swimming pool looking up at the diving board 20ft above me thinking 'that looks easy'. I've climbed up tha ladders with everyone watching me and walked to the edge, and as the row of 10 and 12-year old kids line up waiting patiently behind for me to jump, I just can't bring myself to do it!!! I know we ARE gonna do it, but I feel sooooooo scared. Did anyone else feel like this? We've been to Adelaide and we came back after a few weeks reccy, knowing that it was the place for us. we've got jobs and everything. I know it's just last minute nerves and I just need to take the leap of faith. just wanted to know if everyone else felt the same.

Apologies dor the big thread and Cheers for any feedback you give which will inevitably make me feel easier!!

XX Alan

absolutely completeley normal. We went through this too, as nurses you will neverbe short of work and should earn not bad money. Your moving your entire lives to half way round the world why wouldnt you be bricking it lol?;)

Guest sarahsmartiepants

It is normal to think what the .....Are we doing, there would have to be something not quite right for you not to be!

You have one of the hard things to sort sorted before you get here so dont sweat it too much! You'll be right!

sarah

Guest Tracijbc

OMG!!! You are having the most natural thoughts in the whole wide world!!!! We left the UK in April last year and during Christmas 2007 I managed to get myself so horribly stressed out and drunk that I even accused poor old Matty of never asking me if I wanted to go to Australia and blaming him for making me leave the UK. Clearly this is a lie, we had discussed it for the previous 3 years, BUT the stresses of doing this crazy thing we have done/are doing are so immense that you don't realise until it hits you in the face like a big wet fish.

Relax, spend time with those people you will miss the most and go visit places in the UK/Europe you have never been to but always meant to go and see. Most important though is spend time with your mates, family etc and take loads of photos!! These are the things that will see you through the post migration blues.

Accept that you will have ups and downs before and after you move, but it's only natural as you are making enormous changes to everything that is familiar in your life. Remember though, that for 99% of us here, eventually it does all come out ok, your life starts to feel "normal" again and you settle into your new life here in Oz.

Good luck and if you need anything before or after you get here, don't hesitate to ask....we are all in the same boat and happy to help!! :D

Trace x

We were still "bricking it" after 6 months here, but glad we went through the tough first few months, and now you wouldn't get me back to the UK for anything.

Guest graandjac

:goofy:believe me EVERONE has gone throught the same thing some might admit it some might not, make no mistake the hard work starts when you arrive but be patient.....be flexible......... and give it time .....and Adelaide has alot to offer good luck and chill

Hi to you all.

XX Alan

Hey man its very normal....tbh i think we were sat on the plane flying thinking wtf.....were really doin this....and were now sat here thinking this is great were loving every moment of it...we have been here nearly 10 months now and it has just flown by it really has....great guys on here mate who will offer you help support and guidance should you ever need any of it....

Enjoy.....

Guest tooeasy

it is completley natural you are leaving everything you have ever known since you were born and you are going to something unknown we did but now i can honestly say its the best move we ever made and we love it here :)

Guest lastboyscout

Its perfectly normal to go through this, we did and looking back now, can laugh about it .

Its great waking up in the morning and looking at blue skies...............................

Guest Django

Its great waking up in the morning and looking at blue skies...............................

Its even better looking at your bedroom celing. You really must get a house Lee. :P

Everyone has doubts. You wouldn't be normal if you just did it without worrying about what you are doing.

Good luck

Pete

Guest alan smallman

Thanks to you all for your comments and support. I can't thank you all enough really! I guess (no, actually i KNOW) that's what's good about PIA, it really is a community there to offer advice and support and share experiences, which I (and the missus) greatly value.

It's not gonna stop us from doing it - we've got to coz the alternative doesn't bear thinking about and we don't want to be regretting the things we could've done. Thank you all soooooooooooooo much. It's really appreciated!!

XX Alan

PS Pauline doesn't know I've posted this so when she comes in from work I'll show her your responses which will make her feel better aswell.

Cheers again all:notworthy:

Guest 2much2type

I have read many posts in all the time I've been a member of this site.

I sometimes feel like I've been on a journey with many of the members already too !

But one thing keeps popping into my mind when I think about the leap of faith.

Why ?

What is it REALLY that's making me want to go, and why there ?

Am I running from something ? Can I really escape it half way round the world ?

Why ?

Hope that wasn't too deep !

Keep the posts coming folks, I'm learning so much !

:o

Guest lastboyscout
    Its even better looking at your bedroom celing. You really must get a house Lee. :P

Everyone has doubts. You wouldn't be normal if you just did it without worrying about what you are doing.

Good luck

Pete

I know Pete, but the house of sticks got blew away by the big bad wolf :biglaugh:

I`m waiting to see a man walking down the road with a hod full of bricks, then my master plan will be complete MUUUHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAA ( thats supposed to be an evil laugh ) :biglaugh: