Guest rockpool crab

It's a bugs life

Guest rockpool crab

Hi there,

We've moved into our new rental and have a new pet!..lol..it's a stick insect (I think)..and it's huge!..its body is at least 15 cms in length. It's a weird thing though..as you walk past it..it's triangular head follows you as you move..it's totally watching you..eeeeeeee. It's front legs looked like they've been amputated..but they're not..they're underneath and he only brings them out on special occasions..generally when I'm running naked around the back garden (as you do). Look at his beady little eyes..eeee..lol. Kieran has affectionately called it "woody"..guess after the stick thing.

bug.jpg

bugwhole.jpg

enjoy!...first time I get a reaaaaaaaally big huntsman..watch this space..lol.

TTFN

Carol Ann

Just a quick tip, if you do get a harry (huntsman) dont try to get rid of it, as it tends to keep the rest of the other 8 legged friends out of the house/garage, especially the redbacks.

Hi there,

We've moved into our new rental and have a new pet!..lol..it's a stick insect (I think)..and it's huge!..its body is at least 15 cms in length. It's a weird thing though..as you walk past it..it's triangular head follows you as you move..it's totally watching you..eeeeeeee. It's front legs looked like they've been amputated..but they're not..they're underneath and he only brings them out on special occasions..generally when I'm running naked around the back garden (as you do). Look at his beady little eyes..eeee..lol. Kieran has affectionately called it "woody"..guess after the stick thing.

bug.jpg

bugwhole.jpg

enjoy!...first time I get a reaaaaaaaally big huntsman..watch this space..lol.

TTFN

Carol Ann

Hi Carol Ann

Its a preying mantis - we have loads of them in our garden here in NZ except that here they are bright green. They are fantastic creatures and often rock back and forth on a plant. They are very friendly, totally harmless to people but eat all the nasties in the garden. We had a egg casing on our rear deck and it hatched out at the beginning of summer - must have had about 80 tiny tiny mantis jumping out - amazing sight. They are very intelligent creatures even if they are a bit wierd looking!.

Cheers

Mariane and Cliff

Now this I like, they are great, we brought a dead one back from Perth years ago, (no I am not wierd, it was my dad really) it was completely in tact and it lay in a glasses case all the way to Manchester, no idea where it is now but he use to be on my mum and dads fire place to remind them of Australia and how my mum nearly papped her pants when she saw it.

You should start a nature section, what with your baby huntsman in your car and now this, what next??

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Yep it is a preying mantis! We had one outside the windows a couple months back, it didnt go anywhere then it was on the floor dead!:sad:

Guest mantis88

Looks a bit like uncle Jack!

Your correct about the inteligence but forgot to mention the handsome and witty parts!