Sign in to follow this  
Guest alexx_ox

thinking about migrating but don't know where to start?

Guest alexx_ox

hi

me and my family are starting to think about migrating to australia but don't know where to start. i am currently studying in my third year at university to be a primary school teacher and my wife is a office manager. i am 39 year old, 40 this year and have two children under the age of 18. i have looked at alot of websites on this subject but find it all too confusing. i have used one of those points calculators and qualify with 120 points (i marked the question as yes i have a skilled occupation, but i wont untill next year) so i think i am eligable to apply for a visa but don't know when to. can i apply now as i am still at university and don't yet have my skilled occupation (but i will in june 2010) and how long in advance should i? i have also seen on a few websites (even the au government) that the length of work experience in your chosen field differs, on one site it said 3 out of 4 years and on another 12 out of 24 months, can someone tell me which is right and give me any advice on the matter? also does anyone know about total costs? all comments are welcome on even just one of the questions i have asked (:

thanks

Guest Dave & Carole

Welcome - it's a nightmare to try & work it all out. It took us a few months to finally make the decision to do this and then trying to work out the paperwork was even worse. We did lots of "points tests" & each time it came back different. Many people on here have done the paperwork themselves, but we used an agent & she was fantastic - advising us which route we could take & which of us was best as the main applicant. She didn't charge us anything unitl we actually agreed which visa to apply for. If you want her email address let me know.

Carole

Guest Kazzarazza
    hi

me and my family are starting to think about migrating to australia but don't know where to start. i am currently studying in my third year at university to be a primary school teacher and my wife is a office manager. i am 39 year old, 40 this year and have two children under the age of 18. i have looked at alot of websites on this subject but find it all too confusing. i have used one of those points calculators and qualify with 120 points (i marked the question as yes i have a skilled occupation, but i wont untill next year) so i think i am eligable to apply for a visa but don't know when to. can i apply now as i am still at university and don't yet have my skilled occupation (but i will in june 2010) and how long in advance should i? i have also seen on a few websites (even the au government) that the length of work experience in your chosen field differs, on one site it said 3 out of 4 years and on another 12 out of 24 months, can someone tell me which is right and give me any advice on the matter? also does anyone know about total costs? all comments are welcome on even just one of the questions i have asked (:

thanks

Hi Alex,

Welcome to hours of finding your way around the immigration website. The minimum work experience is 12 out of 24 months, if you can show 3 yrs out of 4 then you should get an extra 5 points. As you're still at uni and presumably have to get some work experience built up after that, have you considered doing an assessment using your wife as the main applicant - I'm sure office manager is somewhere on the list. If you can qualify that way, you could start the ball rolling whilst you are still at uni.

Good luck with it all.

Guest alexx_ox

thanks for your answers (:

does anyone know when i should apply for a visa as i am in my third year at uni or do i have to wait unitl i finish ?

also does anyone know what type of visa i would apply for, 175, 176 or another one ?

thanks

Guest BAZnDAF

I think you really need to speak to a migration agent, give them all the facts, and let them tell you your possible visa's and the pro's and cons for each, as you may be eligable for different types. Most migration agents have an innitial discussion for free. So just ring one and ask.

Under the current system, sponsored visa are being bumped up the queue to the front, and all others are then after this.

Not sure you will be able to apply on your current status, may be worth doing what Kazz has mentioned and apply via your wifes skills.

Barry

Guest skellysgirl

I was in third yr uni when started looking at the proccess, i had to wait till i had been in my job for 12month before i could apply

Guest alexx_ox

so what did you start to do while you were still at uni ?

Alex

Guest skellysgirl

i did'nt i just researched, i had to wait till 12 month point once i had my job, only then could i start. First stop was skills assesment it was pretty easy they just wanted to see my degree. SA Sponsorship level was harder they wanted to see 12month exp and my time at uni must have counted as 3 yrs in the sector. But they refused me first time , i did argue the fact and they reconsidered

Guest alexx_ox

on what grounds were you refused ?

what is your degree in ? (:

Alex

Guest skellysgirl

I am a graphic designer, the refusal point that was most important, was that i didnt have 3 yrs employment. i argued that i only needed 12m and that before that i was in full time edu in the relevant sector. They accepted this and i got SA sponsorship.

Guest alexx_ox

thanks

Where in Australia are you going to and what made you decide to go ?

let me know how you get on (:

Alex

Guest skellysgirl

Erm... for me i had always wanted to go. That's why i went to uni to get my degree to be truthful. My gran lived there till i was 10/11 and used to tell me wonderful stories. When i had my first son the urge to provide something better for him kicked in, this along with a dissatisfaction of the UK. It took a few years to persuade my hubby.

We were not sure where i wanted to go, i suppose sitting choosing from the other side of the world is very hit and miss, and oz is so different from area to area. I was a bit restricted in where i could go with my chosen profession so SA was chosen for us. in hindsight it has a good stable balance, not too hot not too cold, not to big/small reasonable house prices and seems to have a good community both english and oz.

Guest alexx_ox

same reasons as us lol, better lifestyle, sick of uk (:

hope it all works out for you, keep in touch and thanks again for your help (:

Alex

Guest skellysgirl

Ta Alex, if you do seriously consider it, the site is a very handy resource, plus have a talk to the agents they are usually helpful and i gather the first meetings are free.

We went along to an expo type talk in Middlesbrough, im sure ive seen them in Newcastle which give us a lot of info. It did sell oz a lot, but its just common sense to investigate everything yourself when weighing up the options. Good luck with your plans