suzer

Shipping or bringing tools in luggage?

Some of you must have done this. I'm bringing some tools back with me but just basic stuff like my screwdrivers and wrenches, socket sets etc...should I put them in luggage or ship them (sending a box too) and is there anything I need to know (thought I saw something about needing to clean them 1st)?

I just can't bear to part with my Craftsmen tools;)

Guest tooeasy

depends on how much they weigh if you can get them in your suitcases if you ship them they have to be clean no rust or dirt on them

Guest alan smallman

Hey Suze

the man is correct. I've just finished hammeriting my rusty stuff and scrubbed all the non-rusty ones. Was advised to do this by my removal company and many will also advise giving them a douse down with Jeyes fluid. Any untreated handles on screwdrivers chisels etc will need varnishing or at least treating so that they are just bare wood (again that's going on what my removal people told me).

Hope this helps but others who have done the journey already will probably be able to give better advice.

Cheers

Alan

Guest Martin and Val
    Some of you must have done this. I'm bringing some tools back with me but just basic stuff like my screwdrivers and wrenches, socket sets etc...should I put them in luggage or ship them (sending a box too) and is there anything I need to know (thought I saw something about needing to clean them 1st)?

Hi Suzer, I'm confused here have you left the country without saying anything, just to buy some tools that you are now trying to bring back?:err: I'm sure you could have borrowed from somebody to save you the trip!

Hi Suzer, I'm confused here have you left the country without saying anything, just to buy some tools that you are now trying to bring back?:err: I'm sure you could have borrowed from somebody to save you the trip!

Lol, I'm only home for a visit and bringing as much of my stuff home to Oz as possible, as I won't be shipping a container for a couple of years...and I used to work in hardware so I have a few things the hubs doesn't. Everything has plastic handles, but my Robogribs have a bit of grease on them, so I wasn't sure.

Guest Martin and Val
    Lol, I'm only home for a visit and bringing as much of my stuff home to Oz as possible...

Ah, it makes sense now I thought I'd lost the plot for a minuet:goofy:, your obviously state side. Hope your having a good holiday.:D

Guest Mrs Dizzy Rascal

Hi All I'm glad you asked this question my other half wanted too take some of his tools in his suitcase, but wasn't sure if they would be considered dangerous or mistook for weaponsxx

Sarah&Nickxx:arghh::goofy:

Hi

This is something that we've wondered about too! Have heard previously that you can do freight on a plane, so that you could put tools in a separate crate. Not sure of weight and cost though - I'm sure someone will know.

Kim x

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Guys

Sean is bringing two tool boxes full of "lethal weapons" as he is a carpet fitter and knives are obviously a tool of his trade! However, as we are migrating we do have the double baggage allowance, otherwise they would be far too heavy. We have shipped the ones he can manage without for 3 months but are bringing the essentials as luggage 42Kg.

Suzer, yes they do have to be clean but customs are not worried about oil or grease just rust, earth and untreated wood, as previously said. We spent days on end scrubbing and Jeyes fluiding all of seans tools so I sure hope customs dont insist on cleaning them again, or all our hard work will have been in vain!

Mandy

PS Have those Yanks quietened down any yet??

Guest marty

I had to go to NZ last week to do a job and took my tools with me, customs were more worried about my shoes as I had been on a farm than my tools