ischa

Finding work as part of the process

Hi,

We are planning a reccie to Adelaide during April, and we were hoping that my husband will be able to see a few companies when we out there. Two came back with positive feedback, which is really good. We are now thinking while we out there to try and arrange something in Perth and/ or Brisbane. One company in Perth came back saying they not taking on anyone because of the economic down turn. We are really keen on Adelaide but finding not many jobs advertised for this area, my husband is a Land Surveyor and most of the work seem to be around Brisbane.

My question is, did you find that you only really started looking for work once you had a visa. And were companies not really that interested before then. You can understand that companies receive many queries regarding work, and if they saw everyone out on their reccie they will have no time for anything else.

We just really worried that we start the visa process and come time to look for work (approx Jan ’10) we may hit brick walls ! Is this a risk that is part of the process, or is it a case of if your occupation is on the shortage list you will find work. Are we trying to jump the gun here ?

We would be really grateful to hear about your experiences. Did you find approaching companies directly worked, or did you use employment agencies. How many of you do actually have work to go to or will you only look once you arrive in Adelaide.

Thanks in advance.

Lindi (32), Byron (35) and Kieran (19months):wubclub:

Vetassess submitted Feb ‘09

Reccie planned for April ‘09

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Guys

From what I have read on here the agencies are not up to much. However, I have NO personal experience of this, I am just passing on what I have read. We did find that the majority of companies, unless you are sponsored of course, dont really want to know until you are there. However, I dont think it would harm you to either call in to see them whilst on your reccie or call them up, tell them you are here and try to make an appointment to see them. A lot of people think that it is very much who you know, as opposed to what you know, particularly when you first arrive. We have been very luckiy to find a succesful businessman, who does seem to know just about everybody, and we have therefore got everything sorted. My situation tends to lend itself to the "who you know" theory but mine is just one little story out of hundreds, so a real judgment on this cant be made.

Good luck with the hunting and let us know when you are in town, we are arriving early march for good and if you want to meet up for a coffee and a chin wag just shout out"!!

Mandy

Guest marty

sorry to ask dumb questions but eveyone seems to come out on a reccie, is this something you have to do as part of your application or do you come to have a look before making the final decision.

I have been here 32 years, I met an Aussie chick in London had kids and then she wanted to come home, things were diffrent then, I just applied and got PR, the only thing they made me do was get married which I still am.

Cheers

Guest ReadyPenny

Hi Marty

No its not a requirement of the visa, just sensible if you can afford it. We couldnt really but the new boss wanted to meet us and see what he was getting so we had to really

Guest marty
    Hi Marty

No its not a requirement of the visa, just sensible if you can afford it. We couldnt really but the new boss wanted to meet us and see what he was getting so we had to really

Thanks for that now I know

Guest Bristol_Matt
    Hi,

We are planning a reccie to Adelaide during April, and we were hoping that my husband will be able to see a few companies when we out there. Two came back with positive feedback, which is really good. We are now thinking while we out there to try and arrange something in Perth and/ or Brisbane. One company in Perth came back saying they not taking on anyone because of the economic down turn. We are really keen on Adelaide but finding not many jobs advertised for this area, my husband is a Land Surveyor and most of the work seem to be around Brisbane.

My question is, did you find that you only really started looking for work once you had a visa. And were companies not really that interested before then. You can understand that companies receive many queries regarding work, and if they saw everyone out on their reccie they will have no time for anything else.

We just really worried that we start the visa process and come time to look for work (approx Jan ’10) we may hit brick walls ! Is this a risk that is part of the process, or is it a case of if your occupation is on the shortage list you will find work. Are we trying to jump the gun here ?

We would be really grateful to hear about your experiences. Did you find approaching companies directly worked, or did you use employment agencies. How many of you do actually have work to go to or will you only look once you arrive in Adelaide.

Thanks in advance.

Lindi (32), Byron (35) and Kieran (19months):wubclub:

Vetassess submitted Feb ‘09

Reccie planned for April ‘09

My wife and I are in almost exactly the same situation.

We are coming over in April on a fact finding mission (reccie).

I have contacted 5 printing companies, only 2 have responded, but unlike you the response has been negative. Both have said there are no jobs available, but call them when I am there and I might get to have a look round. Hardly promising.

I wish I was brave enough to make a move without having already been promised a job when there, but I have been in the line of work I am in now (printing) all my life and not sure I could find work elsewhere. I have even thought about re-training, but it seems you need to be in your present trade for x amount of years for visa purposes.

I'm trying not to worry too much, as there is still that possibility we may decide Australia isn't for us after all. But deep down inside I think it will be.

My guess is when we arrive home from the reccie we are both going to want to emigrate more than ever. It is then we shall start to get serious. I think the first thing we will do is employ the services of an agent.

Guest ReadyPenny

Bristol Matt

If you did want to consider re-training you could do so in order to get a job when you arrive. You can still apply for your visa as a printer, if that occupation is in demand, but you dont have to do that for a job once you are there, well not on PR anyway. You can do whatever job you want once you are in. Just a thought.

Look us up when you are in town and we could meet up with all of you guys doing reccies

Mandy

Hi,

It’s very uncertain times, with the economy being in a down turn. We did chat about maybe putting it all on hold till the economy is better, but who knows how long that will take. Another worry is that they change the skills shortage list every six months and there is always a chance that your specific occupation get’s removed.

Those already in Adelaide or going over shortly with jobs, can you please give some advice on how you went about it all.

Thanks,

Lindi

Guest ReadyPenny

Lindi

We will have a good chat about all this when you come to visit. We'll meet up and tell you our story from beginning to end. Too long to put on here and most people would probably think too boring. The short version is in our signature!

Mandy

I wish I was brave enough to make a move without having already been promised a job when there, but I have been in the line of work I am in now (printing) all my life and not sure I could find work elsewhere. I have even thought about re-training, but it seems you need to be in your present trade for x amount of years for visa purposes.

Just a thought, a friend of ours in the UK retrained as a plumber - only took him three months and he's now got a very lucrative career on the Isle of Wight. I have a feeling it takes a lot longer and is a lot harder to retrain here, so might be worth looking into options for retraining in the UK before you come - not saying come over as that particular trade, and if you can find something in your current line all the better - but if down the line you got made redundant here from printing, you'd have a certain headstart having got some paperwork in another industry, which would open up your options down the line!

Not trying to be negative, so I hope that's not the way it comes across, but I have read on other forums recently about printers being made redundant here, and it IS a global recession after all, so might be worth considering having a few other strings to your bow.

I wish my OH had done this - he's just been made redundant from the automotive engineering industry and manufacturing here generally is in a bit of a downturn...

Diane (PS have a good trip when you come over)

my husbands not had any good responses from agencies. When we first got here he applied for about 30 jobs, most didnt even reply. He found his job in the newspaper which is poorly paid for his level of experience. Again hes started applying, in past 2 weeks hes applied for jobs he knows he can do all sales jobs many readvertised etc. Again no replies hes done about 20 applications. the agencies just arent interested unless it appears you tick every single item on their requirement list. His boss even stopped using agencies as the people they sent couldnt actually do the job but looked good on paper. They dont return phone calls either, i would love to hear from people who actually have got a job through an agency here they must be vary few and far between!!!:arghh:

sorry to ask dumb questions but eveyone seems to come out on a reccie, is this something you have to do as part of your application or do you come to have a look before making the final decision.

I have been here 32 years, I met an Aussie chick in London had kids and then she wanted to come home, things were diffrent then, I just applied and got PR, the only thing they made me do was get married which I still am.

Cheers

Dear Marty,

Oh the joys of youth and being in love!!! I was just thinking the same thing! I'm American - met and fell in love with my British husband 13 years ago and I did the same thing (moving to England though) without even questioning it! Had been to England briefly twice but just arrived. I'm not sure why 13 years later (maybe it's the three children) that I seem to be slightly more cautious! Only slightly, mind you. I'm still of the opinion that its a big adventure and nothing has to be permanent. My in-laws have ping ponged back 3 times from Australia with some great financial losses at times - (some gains ultimately at others) even in their 50's & 60's so I'm not afraid of what may happen really. I have found however, (having moved from the US to Canada to England and now hopefully to Aus) that some people are just more adaptable to different cultures than others and there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, I think my husband may find things a bit difficult whereas for me it's my fourth country. We went on a reccie - but that was more like a pe-immig holiday really. Glad we did as it wasn't what I expected and it gave the kids something to related to as the waited.

Liz

Guest sauvignon

Hi

We did our recky the year before last. My husband like yours did not see that many jobs advertised for what he did.(owned a tour op before)this made us nervous and had thoughts of maybe going to Perth etc,where there are more job apportunities. Anyhow we arrived in Adelaide 6 months ago. My husband got the job he wanted.(basically they created the position for him)3 months ago. He loves the job,so even better. The agencies don`t really care that much until you are here with your visa. What my husband did was see these agencies while here and before,but also contacted companies that he would like to work for. Then kept in contact the year we were in the Uk waiting on the Visa. It is a long and hard way to do it, sometimes in the right place at the right time.Adelaide is lovley though and you will get more for your money on the house front anyhow than Perth. If you would like more help we would be happy to have a skype chat, before you arrive or meet up when you do your recky. Best of luck!

, i would love to hear from people who actually have got a job through an agency here they must be vary few and far between!!!

Maybe my OH has just been lucky but he's been placed in two permanent positions by an agency. He's never had a problem with getting his calls returned and receives calls asking if he fancies this or that job, or even just to tell him they've nothing appropriate at present when he's decided to go back on the market.

When you consider how much money the agency can make on a placement, it seems nuts that they would ignore any one who they could expect to be able to place. I hear that sometimes it is just cheaper for the company to advertise vacancies through the paper, if they are reasonably confident that this will bring in a good amount of applicants - as they then will not need to pay a recruitment company!

A couple of years ago we met a lovely man who had come over to validate his visa. He was told by one company that they would love to employ him and it seemed pretty sure that if he came back six months or so later, a job would be his. The family didn't come over (or haven't so far) and I'm sure he wouldn't be the only person who has been promised a job on arrival, that the company has never heard from again. After all, situations change and there are a fair few people after an ever-decreasing number of jobs. I guess offering jobs to people who aren't actually here yet, might seem a bit smoke-and-water to some companies*.

Only my opinion though and I totally understand why people who intend to emigrate in the near future would want to secure employment first. After all it's pretty scarey starting all over!

LC

*Excluding nurses and people with particularly unusual/high skill levels!:notworthy: