Digital Cameras

Moosh

I need to get a new digital camera as my birdy sunk his beak into the lens of my current one! So, what do I look for?

I've seen a few on the net and am confused .... (it's not hard to confuse me! lol) What is the different between optical zoom and digital zoom and does it matter if it doesn't have a viewfinder??

Thanks

Michelle

Hi there,

I got a Sony Cybershot camera from JB Hifi, $261 and it's great, it's compact, really easy to use and it also does action shots, which I find useful with the kids, especially son playing football, I can get some really good clear pictures even when he is jumping up for a header.

JB Hifi, let you play about with their cameras in the shop, playing about with the zoom etc, well worth taking a look.

I like the sony cybershot too. would recommend for sure.

look at how long it takes an image to record to the card, check the battry type - some still have AA ones, which don't last as long. optical zoom, the lens moves, digital zoom it doesn't and is sometimes not as sharp I believe. It is useful to have a small viewfinder, as although they are a bit small to be comfortable, if you are trying to conserve battery, you can turn off the lcd display and use the viewfinder.

I looked at a couple models and googled them, there are some good photography opinion sites/formus out there worth a read.

Guest ReadyPenny

Michelle

Optical zoom gives you control to zoom in on to what you want in the pic. Digital zoom just blows the picture up a bit bigger. Go for optical every time, far superior to digital!!

Dont take any photos of the parrot with it though LOL

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Michelle get one of those that the dog slobbers all over in that advert on tv, then when reggie has a bite it should be ok!!! Sorry cant remember what it is called though!

Not much help am I ?

sarahx

Guest norah battie

Sony Cybershot brill....be careful though there are 2 models get the slightly more expensive one....8mega pixels and 5x zoom...although its a 5x zoom you can go into setup and make it a 10x zoom....excellent for action shots and fireworks etc....just charge the battery and that lasts a while.....get a good storage card like 4GB for storing videos...i wouldn't buy a video camera now....

Sony Cybershot brill....be careful though there are 2 models get the slightly more expensive one....8mega pixels and 5x zoom...although its a 5x zoom you can go into setup and make it a 10x zoom....excellent for action shots and fireworks etc....just charge the battery and that lasts a while.....get a good storage card like 4GB for storing videos...i wouldn't buy a video camera now....

I have the 8 mega pixel one that you are referring too and also got a large storage card, excellent value for money and great pictures too

Hi, thanks for all your replies. They are very helpful.

It looks like I'll be going for at least 8 mega pixels and over 5 optical zoom.

The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W150 8.1 mp, 5 x optical zoom looks good, but so does the Canon Powershot A2000 IS 10mp, 6 x optical zoom and the Fujifilm Finepix J100, 10 mp, 5 x optical zoom.

I think its a choosing whether I want to use 2 x AA batteries or a Li-Ion one and if I want an SD SDHC slot.

From what I'm reading, it's not worth bothering with the digital zoom as that is only a glorified cropper and most good editing packages do that job anyway.

Oh decisions decisions.

:idea:

Guest HelenAndSiggi

Hi Moosh,

I personally would buy an SLR camera.

Disadvantage:

a bit more expensive

bulky

Advantage:

you will take the picture you actually see through the viewfinder SLR (mirror system)

high quality built and amazing picture quality

change lenses later if you want to (macro, zoom)

good feel

I personally would buy a Nikon or Canon SLR

The Canon has probably more suitable lenses.

I use the Canon EOS 450D and I would never go back to a small camera again.

Just don't buy a camera without viewfinder. In bright daylight you won't see picture on the screen you like to take.

My advice is to go a camera shop and try a few. Maybe you know somebody who can buy a camera in duty free (i.e. Dixons).

Hope it helps,

Siggi

Guest graandjac
Hi Moosh,

I personally would buy an SLR camera.

Disadvantage:

a bit more expensive

bulky

Advantage:

you will take the picture you actually see through the viewfinder SLR (mirror system)

high quality built and amazing picture quality

change lenses later if you want to (macro, zoom)

good feel

I personally would buy a Nikon or Canon SLR

The Canon has probably more suitable lenses.

I use the Canon EOS 450D and I would never go back to a small camera again.

Just don't buy a camera without viewfinder. In bright daylight you won't see picture on the screen you like to take.

My advice is to go a camera shop and try a few. Maybe you know somebody who can buy a camera in duty free (i.e. Dixons).

Hope it helps,

Siggi

Have to agree with siggi, if your not sure or worried about the step up the Nikon D40 is perfect, also dont be fooled by mega pixels.....more dosent mean better. When i steped up to my D40 after loads of home work all i kept being told about it was its a "no brainer", and after having it for a year its bloody fantastic and fool proof and the pics are really good , you can do all the playing with settings you want or just point and shoot......good luck .

My budget is <$300 so have decided on the majority vote and going to get the Sony Cybershot DSC-W150. It is 8.1mp, 5 x optical zoom, 10 x digital zoom, 2.7" LCD, View Finder, Video with sound, MS Duo Pro / HS HG, Li-Ion battery, Optical IS and face detect. RRP is $249.00.

I didn't want to spend too much money as generally technology is dated within 4 or 5 years and by then it will be time to buy a new one anyway. I would have loved to buy a more expensive one but unfortunately the OH put his foot down.

Thanks for all your help.

Michelle

Guest cornish Busdriver

:)) :)) hi Shell.

Your Ecletus now see's what he can do with his beak then lol lol lol.

Been there, got the T-shirt, the scars and the bite marks to prove it lol lol lol.

He looks a stunna.

Matt