Guest ReadyPenny

The Dreaded Goodbyes!

Guest ReadyPenny

Well the goodbyes are now underway and I must say it is worse than I expected. It started on Saturday, at my sister's wedding, as some of the family who were there, we wont see again before we leave -it was very difficult. We are currently doing the rounds visiting, having meals and drinks etc and I hate it. However, I must admit, the more I do it, the easier it seems to get. I have left all the close family and friends til last of course and I think this is going to be the hardest thing ever. I would have preferred to do them all first, but this was never going to happen!

Amber is currently GLUED to my mum and dad and I fear I will have to prise them apart on Saturday night, with floods of tears. If you are in the UK watch out for the flood warnings in the North West of England on Saturdays weather forecast!

We have also packed our cases, well most of them, and this had Sean's mum and his sister in floods as well, it brings home the finality of it all. I keep telling myself and them, that we are only a phonecall away and that nothing is permenant, except death. It seems to be working!

Can't wait to get on the plane on Sunday, although I know I will be in bits for the first part of the journey, I will also know that the hard part is over and I can start to look forward to what lies ahead of us.

See you all VERY soon

Mandy

Guest Dave & Carole

Oh bless. After all the planning, its horrible to have to spend your last few days feeling rubbish when you ought to be excited.

I'm sure it will all be worth it when you get out there.

Guest sjs

Mandy so you are coming then !!!! You sound so much stronger than a week or so ago when you said that you didnt want to come any longer. You sound like you are excited now and looking forward. The goodbyes are horrible but as you said you are a phonecall away. We speak to some people more now than we ever did back home!!!

Good luck with everything

sjs

Guest jorose

All the best with your journey. I think you will find it will be worth it.

Guest Roo1

Ahh, its always the way hun, we all (this side) have been through it!

Keep your spirits up and think about the new life you are coming to.

Have a great flight

Judi xxxx

Guest cazzie

Mandy, Good luck with the next few days, it really is quite fraught but mixed with excitement too. I remember getting to Changi airport and I thought I saw my son. Of course it wasn't him and it couldn't be him. I cried and cried and wondered what the hell I was doing. Six months (wow!) later, it all feels so much better. Have a good rest on the plane and look forward to a new life down under.

Guest ReadyPenny

Thanks guys, will do! Can't believe you have been there 6 months already Cazzie WOW!

Guest happy feet

hi mandy, well the time has finally arrived.. it is alot harder to say good bye than u could ever imagine.. good luck with it all, and have a safe journey,, we have just got a house in little britain ....hallet cove, don't hesitate to get get intouch when you get here...

cara xxx

Guest Django

You yhink its tough now. Wait until you get to the airport. Thats the hardest thing is to walk away through to departures. Word of warning. Don't look back. :nah:

Just think in less than a week and it will all be over.

Good luck

Pete

Guest Lisado

Hi mandy

I know how bad I was when I moved from Newcastle to Birmingham (only 3 hr drive) when I had to say bye to my family. When I came back to Newcastle they were sooo happy and then I hit them with the bombshell of going to OZ - so I am dreading the goodbyes.

My sister has just got her visa for the States so she will be saying bye before me - so I'll pick up some pointers from her I hope. She's tougher than me!

I really hope it goes okay for you and I'll be thinking of you on Sunday. I hope it all goes ok and enjoy your new life in Oz :D

Keep in touch, Lisa

Guest caoimhe

Not matter how you try to prepare yourself for the goodbyes it's no good. I refused to say goodbye to anyone more than 3 days before going..even when leaving good friends I tried to make myself cry so they wouldn't think I was a heartless cow..the reason was I always knew my hardest goodbye would be for my only sister..leaving her was (next to my mum's death) the hardest thing I have ever done in my life....her words to me were to promise we would never come back as she knew (from spending time here) that we were doing the right thing for our kids. Sitting in LHR I thought my heart would break, I think it was knowing that although we had left Northern Ireland this flight totally left the UK. I cried so much people were staring at me and my O/H told me later he didn't think I would get on that flight and too be honest I was soooo hoping he would ask to get the next flight back to NI. I honestly felt sick in my stomach and I was terrified. I felt so guilty leaving everyone crying and knowing we were responsible for thier pain. Now 3 months in we are struggling financially but every weekend on the beach body boarding (with cheap boards from the reject shop) my boys are having a ball and I can honestly say all the pain was worth it. They have totally embraced Ozzie life and are loving it and that's why we came. So when you look at your daughter in a few months you will know the pain was worth it.

Good luck to you all:wubclub:

Guest TheTodds

Goodluck with all your goodbye's and just think of your new life waiting down under!

I must admit I feel sick reading about all your experiences of goodbye's. I'm dreading it but not allowed myself to think that far ahead yet!

Oh dear :-(

I think it's our turn next! I'm dreading it. We've had a few goodbyes so far with people who we don't see too often, but thats been ok. But I think that's mainly because I still haven't got my head round the fact we are leaving!

We aren't being taken to the airport - getting a taxi so thats not a worry. We will be spending that last day with my husband's parents and that will be hard. We have so many leaving parties coming up - I'm feeling exhausted by it all really and yet not emotional - just worn out with all the organising!

Best of luck to you - see you there soon!

Jo xx

Guest The Pickles

I went and studied in South Africa for a couple of years a while ago and as an only child, waving goodbye to my parents was heartbreaking. I remember them leaving my house for the last time, I was waving and smiling but tears were pouring down my face. The good thing is, my move made my Dad fly for the first time and they visited me a couple of times. Now I have my own family and my parents have a Grandson who they absolutely adore... they will sell up in the UK and move out in a few years when we can sponsor them. The joy of email/Facebook/Skype/webcams should make things a little bit easier... Just look forward to your new life and of all the friends and family that will want to visit you!

Good luck (I'm not looking forward to our goodbye's either... second time round won't be any easier)!

Marilyn x

Guest mtreen

Hi my name is Mick . Been here in Seaford South of Adelaide 11 years and oh my god it was hard at first but gets better.

You are coming at the right time with the heat. All i can say is give it a go, you will be home sick for a long time, that is normal.

Have a good trip.

Mick

Guest ReadyPenny
    You yhink its tough now. Wait until you get to the airport. Thats the hardest thing is to walk away through to departures. Word of warning. Don't look back. :nah:

Just think in less than a week and it will all be over.

Good luck

Pete

Thanks Pete! We have insisted that nobody comes to the airport. We are getting a taxi and as we need to be there by 6.00am I dont think we will be inundated with well wishers! I hope they respect our wishes and dont come, otherwise I fear I may never make the departure gate LOL

Mandy

Guest ReadyPenny

Thank you all. Your words are very comforting and reassuring. I know I am nearly there now and I also know that as soon as I sit down on that plane, although the tears will be rolling, I will feel a huge sense of relief. All the goodbyes will be done and as you say Laura I can start to look FORWARD to all the hellos and the new life waiting to embrace us. Ultimately I know we are doing the right thing, but having never left my home town(other than holidays) it's just hard - that's all. Next time I do something like this, it wont be as hard because I will have already experienced it. Everything gets easier with time.

I look forward to catching up with you all and I am sure in 2/3 months time I will be reassuring others who are in the situation I am in now!!! Guys if you are leaving around June time, just remember when you get the wobbles, look up my "wobbly" posts and then read my reassuring words just a few weeks later.

Your support is much appreciated guys.

Mandy x

Guest ems

Hi Mandy.

I can't believe your very nearly here. The goodbyes are the hardest and like you i left close family and best friend till the end. The problem is you always want to see them one last time.

Have a safe journey and look forward to meeting you when you arrive. If you need anything let me know and i'll help anyway i can.

Take care and see you soon.xxx

Guest ReadyPenny
    Good luck and a safe journey :)

Thankyou! You will be there before you know it too!

Guest ReadyPenny
    Hi Mandy.

I can't believe your very nearly here. The goodbyes are the hardest and like you i left close family and best friend till the end. The problem is you always want to see them one last time.

Have a safe journey and look forward to meeting you when you arrive. If you need anything let me know and i'll help anyway i can.

Take care and see you soon.xxx

Aww Emma thanks ever so much. Yours is a journey that I have followed very closely. As I have said before I have a great amount of admiration for you going this alone and now you're even offering to help out others, like me, when you are not even sorted yourself yet. You really are a gem and am really looking forward to meeting you in person

Take Care

Mandy x