Sign in to follow this  
Guest bessie

anyone know how to qualify as a teacher?

Guest bessie

Hello :)

was hoping someone could help me or point me in the right direction.....

i have a 2:1 degree in English Literature from York uni.....thinking of doing what most people do with English degrees and become a teacher ..... :) (and cos its something i want to do!)

i've been looking on the net but dont really understand the australian system.... in the uk we have the PGCE is Australians equilivent the Diploma in Education, or is that something else?

i'd be interested in primary and secondary

if anyone knows how the system works please reply!

thank you so much

B x (Australian citizen in case it makes a difference!! - duel natonal)

Guest scmercer

Hi, I have looked into doing the same and doing the diploma. I just emailed the institutions with my qualifications and asked if they would be acceptable. It seems to be pretty much the same as the UK but it seems to take 2 years rather than 1 year in the places I have looked at.

Guest Libby1971

The Australian certificate takes 18 months to 2 years and places a good deal of emphasis on the theory of teaching.

The PGCE takes 12 months, has more teaching time and is hard work...half terms are frequently spent in college and assignemnts have to also be done while preparing lessons.

I can't really comment on which one is better BUT if you qualify in Australia and go to the UK to teach there, the Aussie certificate is not recognised and you will be asked to complete the Graduate Teacher Programme. IF you do the PGCE route but leave before completing and passing your NQT year, then you are not allowed to teach in the UK if you do come back.

Ultimately you are talking about 2 years either way.