dad's arrived......what to do

Scousemouse

Hi guys,

need a bit of advice here. Dad arrives today (so excited, me); but as we are working; and dad doesnt drive now (bad vision)..................how does he get around? Yeah, the bus, hahde haha, but he's 72, not been to oz for 50 yrs, and i am worried he will be lonely:huh:.

Ideas on the possibilities please, keep them clean, he's a widower; fit as a butchers, and in the eastern burbs for 10 weeks.

Book him onto some of the bus day tours of the hills, barossa etc, these are often full of grey headed folk. Lunch at the Feathers, or the Robin Hood. Otherwise he may just like relaxing outside in the warmth and the sun, My F-I-L just loved being able to warm his bones, read his fav westerns and sip a beer or two until we came home. Ask him, he's come to see you more importantly than the place.

Guest happy feet

hi jane. enjoy ur time with dad, i'm sure he will just be pleased to be able to spend some time with you,,,,and the nice weather.

cara x

ps thanks forthe phone call

As rachiegarlo says, day trips are a good way to see the area, plus there will be people to chat to on the coach. My husband used to do these tours many moons ago (as the driver) and I'm amazed they still do the same trips now!! They leave from the central bus station in Franklin Street.

See http://www.premierstateliner.com.au/daytours.html

:wubclub: Thank you, lovely peoples........................i knew i could count on you guys!

Well, he's here, and i cried like a baby to see him again; sounds daft, its only been since november, but hey, im a (senti)mentalist..

I will pass on your regards folks, and maybe over the next 10 weeks, arrange a day at the beach, having missed last weeks little get together!

TTFN

Jane

Guest sandar1

High, you'll have a great time with your dad I'm sure. But I know what you mean it can get rather lonely and the days can drag on a bit. The bus system in Adelaide is great, if you can get him into town using the bus, there are the usual places to go to museums etcetera, he could catch the bus to Victor Harbor for the day. Just make sure he has your phone number address, and he wont get lost I'm sure.

Local councils quite often have clubs also so give yours a buzz, my parents go to one out at Marion and that is a bit far. Call the Salvos also to see if they have any clubs near to you, also some of the Country based clubs in Adelaide have things on during the day.

Good luck.

Have a great visit.

Sandra

Guest Aussie pat

Hi Jane, hope your Dad enjoys his visit. I go to the Burnside library each week and the council buildings are always full of pensioners. There is also a coffee shop and advice centre that has info re activities for the elderly. Wattle Park is in the catchment area. Hope this is of help.

Hedy