TV Programme

Guest daveraddings

Guest daveraddings

Hi all

I am a researcher with ITV's current affairs programme Tonight with Trevor McDonald and we are coming to Adelaide in the next couple of weeks for a film about the pros and cons of emigrating.

We are following a Brit family who are starting a new life in Adelaide but we are also looking for others who are interested in participating in the programme.

We are desperately hoping to interview a family who are returning home to the UK for good after they decided that the emigration dream was not for them. I've not yet obtained the figures for Australia, but I'm told some 20% of Brits who emigrate to New Zealand return home. Obviously we want to reflect that in our programme.

And we are looking for a few people who are passionate and articulate about the "should we stay or should we go" debate.

If I can get a telephone number for those interested in being interviewed, I'll give you a call to discuss things further. It will help us work out the main points that people feel strongly about.

Hope that sounds reasonable. The proposed broadcast date is April 3rd.

cheers

Dave Raddings

dave.raddings@granadamedia.com

Guest cunnah10
Hi all

I am a researcher with ITV's current affairs programme Tonight with Trevor McDonald and we are coming to Adelaide in the next couple of weeks for a film about the pros and cons of emigrating.

We are following a Brit family who are starting a new life in Adelaide but we are also looking for others who are interested in participating in the programme.

We are desperately hoping to interview a family who are returning home to the UK for good after they decided that the emigration dream was not for them. I've not yet obtained the figures for Australia, but I'm told some 20% of Brits who emigrate to New Zealand return home. Obviously we want to reflect that in our programme.

And we are looking for a few people who are passionate and articulate about the "should we stay or should we go" debate.

If I can get a telephone number for those interested in being interviewed, I'll give you a call to discuss things further. It will help us work out the main points that people feel strongly about.

cheers

Dave Raddings

Looks like nobody brave enough .......

Guest Nick11
If they want anyone deleriously happy here they know where to come;);)

Ah yes Tyke - but that doesn't make good viewing!

We want tears, tantrums and a bit of drama.:biglaugh:

Guest Guest75
Ah yes Tyke - but that doesn't make good viewing!

We want tears, tantrums and a bit of drama.:biglaugh:

I can do drama!!!!

Chased by savage Koala's

Perilous journeys at sea.

Starting arguments in forums!

:jiggy:

Guest redfoxy
I can do drama!!!!

Chased by savage Koala's

Perilous journeys at sea.

Starting arguments in forums!

:jiggy:

I have seen some of theose "wanted down under" programmes latley and they seem to be trying to put people off emigrating to Oz, like filming in winter and not summer as they did in the past. May be the UK government are getting fed up with nice educated people with a bit of savings leaving the UK and immigrants into the UK that are draining the system !!. But no back to the point..there are some who dont like and cant settle but yes you have to commit and make a go of it for at least a couple of years and maybe those who dont dont wnat to admit it on national TV !!

Guest Fat Boy Fat
Hi all

cheers

Dave Raddings

I am really un-happy but can't afford the flights would there be any chance of you paying them as part of the interview.

I would need to go via Florida for a couple of weeks then across to Spain for a couple then onto Kent. After we have been in kent for a while we would need to come back home to Adelaide to pick a few things up.

I can do really upset and the pointless looking out to sea shot if that helps.

Guest Guest75
I am really un-happy but can't afford the flights would there be any chance of you paying them as part of the interview.

I would need to go via Florida for a couple of weeks then across to Spain for a couple then onto Kent. After we have been in kent for a while we would need to come back home to Adelaide to pick a few things up.

I can do really upset and the pointless looking out to sea shot if that helps.

:biglaugh:

Gone off the idea of moving to Cuba then???

:swoon:

Guest kangomik

i think it's a great idea to film here in winter and the UK in Summer.

Which pub are we meeting in for the interview to give it that "really missing home" feel.

I was stumped on the articulate bit as i don't drive lorrys.

Guest sarah_clancy

hey.... my parents went home literallly a month ago...

they made the move twice in 1 year!

i'm still here tho... am debating to go back at this point in time!

the dream isnt always what it's made out to be....

hey.... my parents went home literallly a month ago...

they made the move twice in 1 year!

i'm still here tho... am debating to go back at this point in time!

i dont mean to offend but personally if i were single in australia id move to melbourne or sydney, apart from festival season theres more of a life there , dont give up on oz completely but crikey even the young people here appear old!! (this is from somebody who mostly likes it here to x:wubclub:)

Guest sarah_clancy

No offence taken. My partner would like to come back with me, see some of the world.

Home will always be home i guess, and if its the wrong decision to go, then I can always come back...

Whats the dream made out to be then? (not picking on you sarah at all btw - just my opinion ) You need to work out what your dreams are and then work out if they are achievable. I think too many people have an image and are not realistic and honest with themselves. You hear people say 'living the dream' and I think the problem is too many peoples dream is a big fancy house and car without hardly ever working, living in a crime free, perfect place - and that really is a 'dream'.

People need to be realistic and honest with themselves and do plenty of research before they come here and then maybe it would work out for more people. We came fully aware that it would be a hard slog - making new friends for us and the kids, finding jobs but maybe starting a bit lower on the ladder and having to prove yourself, having to pull yourself through any sad periods where you or your children miss home and family and friends, facing the possibility that you may struggle to pay bills if you cant get work. All these things were on the radar for us before we left the UK and though they are problems magnified when you get here at least you have prepared for it and its not too much of a surprise.

But I know that as that visa gets closer to being granted you think ' I am doing the right thing ' I know I went through those thoughts but my conclusion was always ' yes this is what I want ' - I know some people who think ' no this isnt what I want ' but do it anyway. They are maybe the people who return to the UK - at least though those folks can say I tried it and it didnt work - no regrets.

However I think my point is research, research, research, follow your instincts but be prepared for an emotional and difficult time ahead.

ps been here 4 months and we are living OUR dream!!!!!! Will it be forever? dont know what the future holds I love it here now but am realistic to the fact that may change a year or more down the line but for now Adelaide was the best move we ever made!!

Guest sarah_clancy

Couldn't agree more with that first bit, but i will say (and dad will back me up on this) You can do all the research you want, on the net etc. But its not reality until you come to live here. Whole different ball game. It was my Dads dream for 12years to be here, imagine that and then to get here....... and it be totally different to what you expected. And we had several holidays to test the water.... He was always the one that said "we must give it 2 years before going back" so after 4/5 months they were back in the UK explain that? Out of the "comfort zone".

Adelaide is beautiful, and PERFECT for young familes. But if you don't have a trade, and you are in the mid 40's then it is extreamly hard to get work, just like my parents found out. Woolies wuld much rather employ a 15year old to stack the shelves!

I've worked pretty much my whole time of being here, Met some amazin people and Done some crazy things... and wouldnt change anything because it been an amazing experience, and I no doubt will be back in years to come....