suzer

Shipping containers w/wood furniture

Wondering if anyone has done the above. Spoke to someone who used to work in quarantine and he said something about extra treatment of the container (something like a bug bomb and extra quarantine on arrival), plus the possible need to get a broker).

Thanks

Guest cornish Busdriver

Ive just talked to our shipping company ( allied pickfords) and there seems to be no problem with our wooden furniture coming over.

Got here on the 28th Feb, gets inspected next monday and should be arriving to the house by thursday.

Guest maxxangel

Wooden furniture doesn't seem to be a problem with customs. The only time I heard of wooden items being stopped for treatment is on decorative things. A friend had a wooden giraffe from Africa and a digeridoo held back for treatment (the digeridoo was from Oz originally, so not sure whether country of origin even has anything to do with it).

Did all of you declare your wood items ahead of time? Did any of you use a broker, or simply go through the shipping company for anything?

Guest maxxangel

oooh, good question. I filled in forms, so it's possible that I had to mention anything wooden in there. I have a vague memory of answering a question like it in a form, but it could have been our arrival declaration forms that I'm remembering. I do feel a more distant memory than that as well...:unsure:

just used the shipping company, think its untreated wood they have a problem with, if its stained or varnished its ok. We had quite a bit of wooden stuff, all ours got through only thing confiscated was a banana leaf phot albulm we bought in the maldives on honeymoon:sad: