minkyme29

Salary sacrificing - explaination please?

Hi everyone

I'm sorry to ask this as I know it has been mentioned on PIA many, many times but I can't find the info at the moment. Can someone explain 'salary sacrificing' to me...am intrigued by the benefits if there are any...:wacko:

thanks

Dette :)

Guest Django

Its basically a tax dodge. Some jobs allow you to pay household expenses to a set limit before tax. ie, you get paid then a deduction is made to go towards these expenses. You are then only taxed on your remaining pay.:unsure: I think thats right.

Guest Martin and Val

We use Val's for our rent, we could have used it on a mortgage, loan, Visa card etc. The payment is made to whoever before you get your wages and also before you pay any tax therefore you are taxed on a lot less income.

Hope this helps but I sure somebody else can give you a lot more of a tech answer.

Martin

Thanks for your help...so am I getting this right...the employee has immediate access to the salary sacrificed? Or is it taken by your employer and put into a safe place for later on?

Guest stufi1997

Hi Dette,

As always Pete's right,I do it...and it seems to work really well, mind you haven't got to the end of the tax year yet. Here's how it works for me. You get your top line on your pay slip, they deduct your allowed limit (depends on the company you work for) mine is $617 per fortnight and it gets paid to another company (CBB), then tax your pay, then add your extra benefits like travel allowance etc, out of the sacrificed money, CBB take $11 for managing my money, they pay our rent then what's left over gets put into a credit card which i can use to buy anything, just not allowed to take cash out. cheers Fiona xx

Thanks Fiona...that sounds pretty good to me, anything to keep it from the tax man! Have seen part time work with Uniting Care Wesley and they offer salary sacrificing...lots to ponder on now.

salary sacrife is a great perk to have if your lucky enough to work for an employer who has it. I also get $617 a fortnight allowance. But to give u an example say u earn $50k a year, and your allowance is $16k, they take off the 16k then tax u on the rest. For me it means i get around $200 a fortnight more in my pay. I also ontop can get an entertainment card so i put $25 a fortnight onto this also tax free which pays for coffees etc or save it up and have a meal now and again all tax fre!! Its easy to set up and i nominated my mortgage but the money goes ito my bank account the day after pay day so its pretty straighforward. Some companies have restrictions on what u can sacrifice towards, hope this helps and congratz on the job x

Thanks to all of you for your help...and to Claire who's explained it very well...certainly sounds beneficial.

I haven't yet got a job but have been looking into the feasibility of jobs with Uniting Care Wesley who offer salary sacrificing. I'm in the very early stages of researching this as I need to earn something and eventually want to retrain in counselling or psychology so think working for an organization like that will be great experience.

thanks again

Dette :)