Numbers of uk immigrants

Guest redfoxy

Guest wemadeit

Devon - I am shocked by how they have treated you!! When a country requires migrants and they set stringent conditions which have to be met prior to even setting foot in the country - which to be fair is a good system in theory - and then mess around with peoples lives when they have seemingly met this initial criteria, sold up and brought everything over to start a new life - and then 'decide at that moment in time' whether you can stay cannot be accepted - I am sure you would have legal rights!!

I am really going to investigate this, as unfortunately I can't 'relax' for 2yrs not knowing whether some person (without being rude!) on a particular day decides the long term future for me and my family!! I think more experiences like this should be highlighted as this could be a very real 'future decider' for people here now and those looking to arrive in the next yr!!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kazzarazza
I know I'll be criticised and slagged off for this, but what part of TEMPORARY don't people understand?

What part of the 475 says Temporary? It is Provisional! There IS a big difference. Immigration SA need to be informed if people are under the impression they could be turned down even if all conditions are met. They should surely have some influence.

I know I'll be criticised and slagged off for this, but what part of TEMPORARY don't people understand?

We all know our visa is provisional, just like we are all prepared for the worst when we arrive regarding jobs etc... The point is it shouldnt state that visa's can turn permanent if all the conditions of the visa are met if thats not true. Please don't start another thread about temporary visa holders being niave or whingy. This is just a point being made about the misleading or even incorrect information given when applying.

Guest caoimhe

The part where they tell you you can get PR if you fulfill the criteria not well we may or may not let you stay even though we will give out other visa after you are sent home. Do you seriously think that we would go through selling our homes and packing up our lives if we knew that even though we fulfilled the criteria asked we still would not get to stay. Those of us on PROVISIONAL visa's are worried enough without people like yourself coming along and posting rude comments.

Guest Django

:rolleyes:

As far as I understand it the only temporary visas are the holiday/working holiday ones.

Its the same as when you learn to drive you get a provisional licence. If you meet all the criteria in the time allowed you get a full licence. I would apply the same line of thought to that of the Provisional Visas. ;)

Pete

Guest Django

Quite right forgot aboput that one.:notworthy: Its a long stay business one isn't it. But people coming out on this one know that it is a four year adventure and that they will be returning to the UK when the job is done.

Guest Martin and Val

If anybody else has had this issue, then please tell your story so others can see the danger of giving up everything to come here only to find the hoops that you have to jump through get more and more and it now looks like they have fire around them just for fun!

We came on a 475 which is a Provisional Visa sponsored by the state of South Australia. It is what thy call a pathway to permanency. The criteria is 2 years living and 1 year full time working. I have checked with immigration and they have confirmed that you don't need to be working in the field that you came over for and that it can also be the secondary applicant that applies for the PR Visa once you have met the criteria.

I'm no lawyer but I'm certain if the conditions are set in black and white at the beginning of the application and again in your Visa grant letter then the goal post can not be moved later, after all it doesn't say two years living one year working and then whatever we feel like adding!!!!

I for one am sick of it all I feel that I was mis sold a product and there must be some legislation about that either here in Australia where the rules were drawn up or in the UK where the product was sold.

We gave up everything to come here, we don't want hand outs just a fair crack of the whip and good honest answers.

Martin

Guest Lisado

Thanks Martin as you have confirmed what we thought :cute: We want to give it a crack of the whip for the 2 years and I am not going to stress already about what may happen after those 2 years. I think I will worry about the next few months for the time being :nah:

Guest BAZnDAF

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/887/

"About this Visa

The purpose of this visa is to allow holders of certain provisional visas to apply for permanent residency.

To be granted this visa, you must have lived for at least two (2) years and worked full time for a total period of 12 months in a Specified Regional Area of Australia before lodging your visa application."

I think its unacceptable of DIAC not to be giving people a legitimate reason as to why their application for a PR VISA has been refused.

I seriously think that someone over there should bring this to the attention of a politician/ government body.

However, as we have seen already once this year, they do change the rules. But then its their country their rules.

Either way if things like this are happening many people will not apply for a VISA.

:(

Guest redfoxy
On the 495 Visa you must live in South Australia (or any other low population area on there website: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/regional-growth.htm - as I found out last week!!) and work full time for a min of 35hrs a week - either in 1 job or a max of 2 part time jobs!

Given the instances of PR rejections I have emailed SA Immigration tonight and I will pop-in to Currie street next week to verify - as we are 5 months in to a 495 visa and don't want any hassle in 2yrs time - will keep you posted!

Please do keep us posted I am a bit worried now too !!

we arrived in sept 08, bought a franchise and are now planning to buy a house. I also started fulltime perm work over 3 months ago, so am on the way to 52 weeks at over 35 hours.

The Immigration must give a reason as to why the person was rejected ! what about human rights !!

Full of worries but still loving it !! the whole world is a precarious place at the moment !

I've been reading this thread and everyone seems to be concerned about the work, residency conditions etc, in order to progress to a permanent visa......and rightly so..

There is something else you should all be very aware of........and that is personal/health circumstances that can affect your progression to PR....

If your health changes whilst on a temp/provisional visa ( how ever you want to interrput this visa)......i.e. you are diagnosed with a condition/illness that is deemed to be a burden to the state....then your PR can/will be refused.

I know for a fact that this has happened recently......residency has been refused and the family have been told to return to the UK.....

But when you are refused, you have the right to go through the appeal system....all the way to the Minister, I believe.

Which ever way you look at it....these visas are provisional/temporary......... IMO think temporary all the way down the line....you just never know what will happen...

.......look at it as a temporary adventure...which may or may not end up being permanent....

Guest Nick11

DON'T PANIC.

Theres a couple of posts on here of someone who knows someone - doesn't quite know what visa they're on - etc etc

Their health may have got worse - may even have a criminal record - might not even be on a 495 at all.

Can you see the oz governemt shipping backing 1000s and 1000s of immigrants on 495s whislt still letting in 1000s of immigrants. It doesn't make sense.

SA at this rate are still not attracting enough immigrants to boost their population - they're hardly likely to decide to send us all back home and start again.

Guest Martin and Val

It is obvious that any health issues may well affect any Visa application.

Regardless of what Visa type, if I had a health issue that prevented me obtaining a Visa then personally the Visa would be the least of my worries!

Once you have had a medical examination for initial entry into Australia again regardless of Visa type you may not be asked to have another anyway. Maybe someone who is going through the second stage of the Temp or Provisional process could confirm that?

Thank you to Baz and Daf for the web link which is very handy.

As a holder of a Provisional 475 Visa I have to apply for the Skilled – Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887) once I have met the criteria.

The 887 visa is for those as stated on the web site which I have listed below:

"Skilled – Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887) This visa is for you if you hold one of these visas"

• Skilled – Independent Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 495)
  • Skilled – Designated Area – Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 496)
  • Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 475)
  • Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 487)

All the above Visa options are Provisional and must be either State Sponsored or Family Sponsored.

As far as I can see this is the fundamental difference between TEMP and PROVISIONAL.

I can only speak for a 475 again here but the second stage Pathway to Permanency fee is included in the original application fee when you submitted the 475 application which again I believe not to be the case with a Temporary Visa.

Any corrections gratefully excepted.

Martin

Guest Martin and Val
I am not going to stress already about what may happen after those 2 years. I think I will worry about the next few months for the time being :nah:

Well said Lisado, Probably the best quote on this topic. 36_1_55.gif

Lets just worry about today we may not wake up tomorrow!

Martin

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZSYYYYYYYYAU

Guest Devon
It is obvious that any health issues may well affect any Visa application.

Regardless of what Visa type, if I had a health issue that prevented me obtaining a Visa then personally the Visa would be the least of my worries!

Once you have had a medical examination for initial entry into Australia again regardless of Visa type you may not be asked to have another anyway. Maybe someone who is going through the second stage of the Temp or Provisional process could confirm that?

Thank you to Baz and Daf for the web link which is very handy.

As a holder of a Provisional 475 Visa I have to apply for the Skilled – Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887) once I have met the criteria.

The 887 visa is for those as stated on the web site which I have listed below:

"Skilled – Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887) This visa is for you if you hold one of these visas"

• Skilled – Independent Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 495)
  • Skilled – Designated Area – Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 496)
  • Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 475)
  • Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa (subclass 487)

All the above Visa options are Provisional and must be either State Sponsored or Family Sponsored.

As far as I can see this is the fundamental difference between TEMP and PROVISIONAL.

I can only speak for a 475 again here but the second stage Pathway to Permanency fee is included in the original application fee when you submitted the 475 application which again I believe not to be the case with a Temporary Visa.

Any corrections gratefully excepted.

Martin

Hi Martin

I can only obviously comment on our 495 to 887 and can confirm:

We only had to pay $195 to immi as the major part is paid in your original entry

We were not asked for another medical (although luckily we have no health issues anyway so wouldn't have been a problem)

We were asked for UK and Australian police checks again - which came back clear

Other than that it was only proof of living in and working in SA which we were able to provide after being here for well over the specified time

Hope this helps

DON'T PANIC.

Theres a couple of posts on here of someone who knows someone - doesn't quite know what visa they're on - etc etc

Their health may have got worse - may even have a criminal record - might not even be on a 495 at all.

Can you see the oz governemt shipping backing 1000s and 1000s of immigrants on 495s whislt still letting in 1000s of immigrants. It doesn't make sense.

SA at this rate are still not attracting enough immigrants to boost their population - they're hardly likely to decide to send us all back home and start again.

SIR visa.......

I was shocked when this person told me what has happened to them......think its appalling....

and I agree with Nick, cant see them shipping 1000's of people back.........but SOME, i'm afraid are being refused......for what ever reason....

Personally, think the whole thing stinks.........why have these temp visa's in the first place? If they are willing to let you in the country as you are deemed to have something they want...then why not just go for perm visa's and be done with it!

Anyway, good luck to everyone..

Guest redfoxy
sir visa.......

I was shocked when this person told me what has happened to them......think its appalling....

And i agree with nick, cant see them shipping 1000's of people back.........but some, i'm afraid are being refused......for what ever reason....

Personally, think the whole thing stinks.........why have these temp visa's in the first place? If they are willing to let you in the country as you are deemed to have something they want...then why not just go for perm visa's and be done with it!

Anyway, good luck to everyone..

bloody good common sense !!

Guest Nick11

It must be because of health or police checks.

Another thing I realised - some people work out of state and commute - their employer isn't sa based - maybe another reason for rejection on a 495 visa.

I'm not sure of the figures and my be talking complete rubbish but I bet at least 50% of all immigrants that settle in sa come on a 495 visa. Not many decide to settle here who come on pr visas. SA is well down the list. The government realise this and want to attract as many immigrants to sa. Now if it were Queensland or Perth we were talking about - it may be different.

We are due to apply for pr in a couple of months and aren't worried.

Nick

Not many decide to settle here who come on pr visas. Nick

Hmmm, don't agree with this one. We and many others we know and know of actually choose to come to SA above other states for all sorts of reasons - climate, work, lifestyle and pace of life, housing costs.... It's not always a "last resort" choice!

D

Guest Nick11

I bow to your better judgement Diane. Nearly three quarters of the folk I meet are on this visa - but maybe its just a fluke.

I know you have more experience of this.

Nick

x

Guest wemadeit

A handful of posts on here are unbelieveable!!!!!!!!

Whether a Temp or provisional - both were granted after rigorous testing procedures whilst we were in the UK - for the sole reason to boost an ageing population. It clearly states in my 495 provisional visa that if the criteria is met - as detailed by Martin - we are able to gain PR status. If a part of that criteria is not met or health checks fails - then they have a right - failing that - then no!!

Why would all these people give up careers/lives/homes to move to the other side of the world on a 'hope' that some 'bod' at DIAC chooses due to the time of yr/weather/mood etc etc.........

I have today received a response from SA Immigration after calling them yesterday, and they are keen to fully understand what is going on. Would the people who have been declined PR status be able lt us know whether ALL the criteria was met by them, or did they miss any?

Guest stufi1997

I do find this a difficult one to believe actually...I'm pretty sceptical of this being a striaght forward case of refusal after satisfactorly completing the requirements....I reckon there must be some other factor involved in it somewhere!! As someone has said maybe they were working interstate or their kids went to school outwith the state.

I do know of one couple who were majorly delayed in getting their PR granted because he told them truthfully about a speeding fine he had gotten during their first 2 years....HOWEVER they were not refused they were held up because of it, until he completed reems of paperwork like you have when you put an insurance claim in the uk....diagrams of the "incident" and all sorts. I really don't think most people should be worried about it at all!!!