Riponian

Don't want to be lonley

Hi

I have posted before but it was sometime ago. Our Visas are in the pile to be processed but I am already feeling homesick and we have not gone anywhere yet!!!

I would like to get to know people before we arriive and find out what it is like so I feel more familiar when we get there. I am currently living in Exeter in the UK (away from family) so that is not helping. I am 30, married and have two small children and 2 and a half and six months.

If anyone is on facebook or wants to exchange emails that would be great. If anyone is in the same boat with small kids and want to share parenting stories please get in touch.

Thanks

Michelle :(

Hi Michelle,

I'm not having a go, but are you absolutely sure 100% that you want to come over to Australia? If you're worried so much about it at this stage, by the time your visa comes through you'll be a basket case! Is this something that both you and your husband are in a agreement about? Are you both completely committed to the move? If not, best sort it out now before you go any further. PIA is a great place to meet other people who are in a similar position to yourself. Before we came over, we went to a few meet ups in the Midlands and met a few people who are over here now also. Perhaps someone could let you know if there are any meet ups arranged in your area.

The other thing I would say is that if you ARE certain that you want to come over here, then you MUST make the effort yourself to get out and meet people when you arrive. Don't be afraid to put a post on when you get here asking to meet up with people in a similar position to yourself. There are regular meets here anyway so you shouldn't have too much of a problem there. As you have small children, make sure you join Playgroup SA so that you can go to playgroups in your area.

Sorry, I sound like I'm lecturing you but what you're facing is the most enormous upheaval you could put your family through, so please be sure that it's absolutely right for all of you.

Good luck!

Hi Michelle

Welcome back to PIA.

I agree whole heartedly with Liz' comments. I was sure I wanted to move here with my husband and young family but have found the feeling of homesickness and isolation very difficult to deal with at times. It's natural to feel like that but is horrible whilst it lasts...I'm sure you can help yourself by 'meeting' people online but the reality of the move will throw up some unexpected emotions too. It's all part of the emigrating rollercoaster ride and has to be expected.

The great thing is that PIA has lots to offer you, support, meet ups, information on playgroups etc something migrants from years ago never had so make the most of it.

Good luck with your move, if you decide it's still the right thing for you that is.

Dette :)

Guest stufi1997

I don't reckon you can ever be 100% sure you're doing the right thing....you really won't know til you try it. Stu was always he one in our family who REALLY wanted to come, but if anything it's him who has had more trouble with homesickness. I was like you, wanted to be really sure that we could cope away from all our family and friends but in the end it's down to your partnership, talk it through and you'll be fine...everyone has doubts, good luck Fiona xx

I don't reckon you can ever be 100% sure you're doing the right thing....

This is so, so true - I'm still not sure, and we've been here five years now!

It's probably easier on migrants these days than it was say 20 years ago though, there are things like the internet, cheap phone calls, Skype, etc to keep in touch, and it's more feasible for people to come and visit you, or for you to visit them (just a little pricey still!)

'Do try to get out and about as much as you can though - you'll meet people, and it will stop you swelling on the people you can't meet because they're a few thousand miles away. Be prepared for some really bad 'downs, but slowly, hopefully, the 'ups' will outnumber them. Having the kids will help - they're a good ice-breaker if you're shy yourself.

Keep us posted how you get on!

Diane

'Do try to get out and about as much as you can though - you'll meet people, and it will stop you swelling on the people you can't meet because they're a few thousand miles away. Be prepared for some really bad 'downs, but slowly, hopefully, the 'ups' will outnumber them. Having the kids will help - they're a good ice-breaker if you're shy yourself..

I total agree with this.. having the litte ones will help, just go to as many groups you can find...there are plenty of options here baby playgroup for the tiny one, playgroup for the older one, kindigym etc. helped me no end when we got here..i have found people to be very friendly and have kept friends as my son has gone from playgroup to kindi and now to school..try to find a playgroup that is in a kindi you might send your older one too when he/she is old enough then you can stay intouch with the friends you make..:wubclub:

pm me anytime if you want any info

Jo

Thank you so much everyone yes I am sure I want to go but don't really know till we try....

I think it is juts a bit of an emotional week for not been out much as the kids have chicken pox!!!!

Tanks to PIA I have found some on in Exeter who is going and hopefully going to meet up and yes I can't wait to get over there and meet more people. I have had to do that down here and it has been great but the weather has not helped.

I just want to get to know people before I go and so have a bit of a safety net if you get what I mean.

THANK YOU a bit of sleep helps