Guest Tones

On arrival - settling in

Guest Tones

Hi All,

Emigrating to Adelaide March 29, 2009. Any recommendations for must see's/ do's/ don’t etc on arrival. I appreciate opinions may vary but I'm interested in your thoughts and making friends etc to help settle in.

My advice is get a diary those first few weeks are really overwhelming and there is so much to do you will need to organise your bank accounts, tax file no, medicard to start with many people also take out ambulance cover straight away because its really expensive if you get caught, on top of this you need to give yourself a chance to breath.

Things to help would be a sat nav buy but don't buy it from the city these things seem more expensive there, and a mobile phone but don't get a telstra phone they are expensive to use, (in my opinion) we are with three and pay an extra $7.50 to have an hour and half calls to England per month.

The biggest mistake's I've made since coming here is getting on of those stupid sat nav phone's can't work the thing too complicated, and the type of car we choose, we have 3 kids and in the Uk had a people carrier we thought we won't be travelling so far here and bought a nissan x-trail big mistake kids fight all the time in it and we want to drive around looking at places...

Anyway they do a lot of meet-up's here from PIA and that is great way of meeting people and relaxing, the Australian are great a friendly bunch just going out and about helps with finding your feet they are very generous with information and advice.

Hope this helps

Julie

Guest Django

I wouldn't bother with a sat-nav. Go to a book shop and pick up a UBD. Its a lot cheaper and to be honest you can't get lost in Adelaide or it suburbs. Well one person did last Saturday and they had a sat-nav. :biglaugh:

Stay awake for as long as you can on that first day and apart from get some food in I would just chill for the first couple of days. There is no rush to do anything so don't try to cram everything in. You have 3 months to sort your driving licences out so that is a low priority.

We set up a PO Box No. when we got here and this has saved a lot of hassle. All our forwarding mail from the UK is being sent there and also you can tell people back in the UK to send you stuff to it rather than your home address. We have changed address 3 times already since arriving and are looking to move again very shortly.

Pete

Guest Libby1971

One of the pieces of information I read before coming was that for every day you spend travelling around, offer the kids a day to choose what they would like to do. You'll be charging around trying to find an area you like, then a rental, then a school and that doesn't include things like tax file numbers, having your skills registered, telephones, sorting elec, gas, phones, shipping etc, the list goes on.

Also the idea of resting in the first few days comes more easily to some people than others. My OH was like a child in a toy shop, bouncing all over the place and sooooooooo excited that we were in Australia that there was no way any of us were resting much. Day 2 we were off to the city, and Day 3 we were in Glenelg.:wacko:

If you are having the Meet and Greet service, write down what they say to do. The UBD map is a godsend, buy it. Sat Nav is expensive, we have never used it so maybe we don't know what we are talking about but everyone I know has one of those books. They break down the suburbs and give you maps, shopping centres, police stations, schools, swimming pools, doctors, hospitals etc and are really excellent.

Oh and the other thing I would say is to come to terms with the fact that you'll buy a whole load of cr*p in the first few days/ weeks that long term you won't need but that seemed like a good idea at the time :biglaugh:

Finally, enjoy yourself. You have worked so hard to get here, don't forget that you'll be here a long time and all those tourist attractions can be done a little while later.

Guest stufi1997

Hiya, we got given a UBD map book as part of the meet and greet pack but have got to say we bought a sat nav when we got here and can't fault it. and it saves the inevitable bickering if you're anything like us (me)and can't stand your other half's driving or map reading:realmad:

We rushed around everywhere in the first 2 weeks and now wished we'd sat back and enjoyed the time when we weren't working....but hindsight's a great thing eh, you spend so long on a deadline with visa stuff that it feels like you should have everything done yesterday:o my advice would be embrace the slower pace as soon as you step off the plane, it'll all get done when it needs to....no dramas Fiona xx

Come to the Expats in Adelaide (Facebook) meet up 1st April (contact me for details). Good place to get more ideas on things etc.

Good luck with the move over,

Suzer