Guest Janine3979

Can anyone recommend a good primary school in north adelaide?

Guest Janine3979

We are moving to Adelaide in September and have an idea of a few areas that we would like to live, but needs to be commutable to Edinburgh for my husbands job. We are quite flexible as we will be renting to start with, I think the deciding factor will be the school for our children aged 5 and 8. Can anyone recommend a good school in this area? :unsure:

Guest caoimhe

Hi we live in Hillbank and our kids all go to Salisbury Heights just off the Target Hill Road. They are only there about 7 weeks but really love it and we think its great. We checked with a few people we know and the school was given really good reports. The areas around this school are Salisbury Heights, Hillbank, Salisbury East and its only about 15-20 minutes to Edinburgh.

Good luck and oh welcome to PIA

Guest Janine3979

We have looked at those areas, also greenwith and golden grove, do you know if the school has a website?

Good to hear your enjoying it, we can't wait to get out there, would have moved sooner but got a holiday booked in august so had to wait till after we get back from that.

Guest lace4
    Hi we live in Hillbank and our kids all go to Salisbury Heights just off the Target Hill Road. They are only there about 7 weeks but really love it and we think its great. We checked with a few people we know and the school was given really good reports. The areas around this school are Salisbury Heights, Hillbank, Salisbury East and its only about 15-20 minutes to Edinburgh.

Good luck and oh welcome to PIA

hi

we are desperatly trying to get to adelaide we were looking to go to salisbury the thing that is really scarey are the childrens schooling as we didnt realise you have to pay for state schholing until you get citezenship! we have four children! lol from4 to 12 did you have to pay school fees to start with and how much were you paying? we only want state schooling until we get citezenship but if we have to pay for their ed anyway do you think its just as cheap to go private?

You don't have to pay huge amounts for State Schools, and it's not dependent on citizenship - just visa type. Even then, there are only a few provisional/temporary visa types where you have to pay "International Fees": on most visas, you just pay exactly what every other Australian pays - ie about $300 a year for primary and maybe $500 a year for senior school (Years 8 to 12 usually). Private schools fees also vary a great deal - there is a good private school near here which charges about $3,000 a year, others that charge around that or up to $7000 or $8000 a year, and then the very exclusive ones that charge something like $15,000 - $20,000. Scholarships are also available - both our children sat academic entry exams and were lucky enough to be offered discounted fees at a private high school as a result, so there are plenty of options - musical and sports scholarships are also very common. There are some excellent State High Schools in this area too. We are actually very lucky.

After all that waffle, I highly recommend Highbury Primary School in the North East - certainly drivable from here to Edinburgh Park as that's where my OH used to work. You would probably find you have to live somewhere within the catchment area though as it is a very popular school.

We always planned to find a school we liked, and find a rental accordingly, but actually good rentals are/were like hens teeth so it didn't work out that easy! We looked at about six different schools and then made a "top three" list! Still ended up buying rather than renting as we couldn't find any nice rentals in any of those areas either - found a nice one to buy instead though!

Diane

Guest salisbury massive

You have to pay for schooling regardless of whether you have citizenship or not. If you are on a temporary visa you have to pay international schooling fees. Generally the cost of Primary schooling is around $200 - $300 per child a year depending on school. State High Schools are around $400 - $450 and private schooling is A LOT more expensive than that.

I pay $200 a year Reception Primary State

$440 for year 8 High School State

$1140 per term for year 10 Private. ($4,500 a year)

Uniform just cost me $136 for Reception Primary

$300 for Year 8 High School

$660 for the Private School

Don't forget to add in excursions and camps etc. Extra costs on the private school is book hire each year. This year I paid $300. State school book hire, stationary and resourses are included in the cost. You can pay in instalments through the year with state school.

Jo

Guest lace4
    You don't have to pay huge amounts for State Schools, and it's not dependent on citizenship - just visa type. Even then, there are only a few provisional/temporary visa types where you have to pay "International Fees": on most visas, you just pay exactly what every other Australian pays - ie about $300 a year for primary and maybe $500 a year for senior school (Years 8 to 12 usually). Private schools fees also vary a great deal - there is a good private school near here which charges about $3,000 a year, others that charge around that or up to $7000 or $8000 a year, and then the very exclusive ones that charge something like $15,000 - $20,000. Scholarships are also available - both our children sat academic entry exams and were lucky enough to be offered discounted fees at a private high school as a result, so there are plenty of options - musical and sports scholarships are also very common. There are some excellent State High Schools in this area too. We are actually very lucky.

After all that waffle, I highly recommend Highbury Primary School in the North East - certainly drivable from here to Edinburgh Park as that's where my OH used to work. You would probably find you have to live somewhere within the catchment area though as it is a very popular school.

We always planned to find a school we liked, and find a rental accordingly, but actually good rentals are/were like hens teeth so it didn't work out that easy! We looked at about six different schools and then made a "top three" list! Still ended up buying rather than renting as we couldn't find any nice rentals in any of those areas either - found a nice one to buy instead though!

Diane

wow you were really lucky! we been trying to get out various ways im a hair stylist but i havent got 6 years experience and they have stopped processing that on skills trade visas grrr so looks like my only option is to go on a student visa now so now im looking for a trade to study that is really needed their do you know of a college i can apply to in or near salisbury?

thanks so much on your advise for schools i think i stick to a good state school and that is more in my price range i will certainally check out that school you suggested is that state school is it?

we want to buy too but thats dependant on selling this house we have in uk lol which is a joke at the moment isnt it lol.

Guest lace4
    You have to pay for schooling regardless of whether you have citizenship or not. If you are on a temporary visa you have to pay international schooling fees. Generally the cost of Primary schooling is around $200 - $300 per child a year depending on school. State High Schools are around $400 - $450 and private schooling is A LOT more expensive than that.

I pay $200 a year Reception Primary State

$440 for year 8 High School State

$1140 per term for year 10 Private. ($4,500 a year)

Uniform just cost me $136 for Reception Primary

$300 for Year 8 High School

$660 for the Private School

Don't forget to add in excursions and camps etc. Extra costs on the private school is book hire each year. This year I paid $300. State school book hire, stationary and resourses are included in the cost. You can pay in instalments through the year with state school.

Jo

wow you sound like you may have as many children as me lol my children are 4, 6, 9,12 the schools look like they run differently out there you pay more the older they are is it?

sounds like i would need a school for each of them lol

Hi again

Yes, Highbury is a state primary school. I think (although you could check on the DECs website for definitive answer) that unfortunately the student visa is one of the few where the parents do have to pay International Fees which for four kids could be quite steep. I know there is a very good Hair Dressing Academy in the City - I will try to find out the name of it. That would be about 30 minutes from Salisbury. Are you using a migration agent, as it might be worth exploring all other options in case there is another visa type you could apply for that doesn't entail the International School fees?

The whole visa thing is so complicated and seems to change on almost a daily basis!

Diane

Guest lace4

i had a feeling things wouldnt be that easy for schooling lol unless i can get sponcership i think student visa is my only way in. we have got the immigration unit but we put them on hold for a bit untill we can find out more on how we can afford to get our children in school i just dont want to pay them £5000 to then find out we cant afford to school our children grr it is sooo complex isnt it just feel that doors keep closing on us

maybe it mayhelp if i could find a job offer but even then i think they would need to sponsor me to get anywhere

Guest caroline123

Hi, do you know of any schools that offer cricket scholarships (or secondary schools that are mad about cricket/sports!). My son is 12, 13 in May. (Looking to move to Adelaide or Perth - still doing the old research).

Guest Franz Chong

I would avoid any Northern Area Primary School.Had a Cousin who went to Salisbury Primary from 1983 to 1987 and didn't like it but the family had no choice as they couldn't afford Private Schooling.Having said that The best I can recommend and do take into account It's almost twenty five years since I graduated from Elementary School is either Walkerville or North Adelaide Primary.I assume you would be living around Salisbury.The only downside I can think of if the kids are old enough to take the bus to school on their own for Walkerville is there's no straight through service like there was in my time in that the Buses from the Northern Area used to go down Smith St and set down just outside St Andrews and do the same on the return They would have to catch the 500 or 502 to Ingle Farm Shops and then a 202 to as Close to Stephens Terrace to walk down.