Guest geoffb

Kids dentistry/eyes

Guest geoffb

Hi,

Just wondered how child health works in OZ, as we know kids eye tests, glasses and detal care is free, so what about in OZ.

Thanks

geoffb

Hi,

Just wondered how child health works in OZ, as we know kids eye tests, glasses and detal care is free, so what about in OZ.

Thanks

geoffb

Dentist - You have 2 options..........private or school dentist. The school dentist is around $30 a year....i've used the school dentist and have found them to be fine. I now have medical extras insurance, so will now take the kids to my dentist.

Private medical extras insurance wont cover the whole cost of treatment, but you will get some money back. If you have kids that need regular dental treatment or will possbily be in need of braces etc in the future, then this will be very costly.....you are talking thousands of dollars.......

Eye tests can be done through medicare....and are free...for both adults and children..but if kids need glasses etc then that will cost. My 5 year old son has recently had glasses and they cost me $320...this was before i took out extras cover.

Vaccinations etc are free..........

Some private med cover like Mutual Community cover the full costs of kids general dental(not braces) if you choose one of their member dentists. I just got my daughter new glasses and after my claim with health cover cost went down from $320 to $170 ish for frames and lenses. It is worth having the extras even if you don't sign up for full health cover. This makes it more affordable.