Sign in to follow this  
Guest kellyjamie

hows the work front??

Guest kellyjamie

Hi guys we were looking for your opinions on the work front in Adelaide?? hubby works with youths, and also adults dealing with housing issues, social and community issues aswell, but we would both do anything! were probably going to apply this summer for state regional sponsorship (providing SA dont take youth worker off the list!) and had been considering either Adelaide or sunny coast. I had posted on PIO how hard is it to find work anywhere and i got a reply saying its very hard just now andeven basic jobs are hard to come by?? whats your opinions on this in SA?

thanx everyone, a very worried kelly x

Guest Libby1971

I applied for a job working in the community with teens and young adults. I was rejected because I had no experience working with Aboriginal people. This is what they told me but it could have been anything...

I would say go for it BUT you must make sure you have the money to cover you for while you are looking for jobs. We had 8 months worth of money and I know that we were lucky and not everyone does. But if you can, make sure you have enough just in case it takes a while to find a job rather than not

Guest sjs

Can obviously only give you our experience - which is hubby is a chef and he found work in the first week of arrival (is on the in demand list) but I cannot find part time work - I have 10 years sales/customer service experience and have been applying for nightfill assistants, real estate work, general shop assistant work with the likes of big w kmart, wine sales rep and nothing coming from it. A local woman I know has told me her husband has lost his job - which was in sales - so I know you are in a different field but thought you may be interested in our experience.

Good luck

Guest Libby1971

I am a high school teacher and it took me a year to find a long term position. Actually I ahd one terms work in a year. Once I completed the comp 6 month probation period I was offered a perm contract but the process can be hard.

Some people come here and find that although their jobs are on the skills list, there are not the vacancies now. For example, primary teachers...most of the teaching population I have encountered are over 50 and retirement looming means there will be massive teacher shortages in the next few years but the vacancies aren't there now. Plus with the recession, people are making cuts wherever theycan and experience counts for nothing when you have a cheap school leaver who can be trained up