Guest PEZ

Meet & Greet and on arrival accom.

Guest PEZ

Hi all. We have now sold house (Fingers crossed) and we are hoping to be in Adelaide about sept. Was just wondering when and how we go about applying for on arrival accomadation and meet and greet.

Many thanks Pez.

Guest Lisa & Kevin

Hi Pez & Sarn

Congratulations on the Sale of your house :D that was really quick!!

I think to apply for the OAA and Meet & Greet you have to fill in some forms which you can get off the SA Immigration website.

Think we are going to go for the Meet & Greet but not so sure about the OAA yet :unsure:

Speak soon

Lisa & Kevin

Guest sjs

Hiya

yes go onto the sa immigration website and I think its 6 weeks before your arrival you must apply or earlier if you have booked your flights well in advance. We applied for both and did not get granted the oaa, we would have been given meet and greet though as we were initially staying in Victor Harbor that was too far out for the volunteers !!! So we didnt get either - but good luck anyway !!!!!

Guest The Pickles

I haven't heard many good things about the accommodation provided so we have booked a full furnished house for a month with Judi at Roo Rentals (hello again Judi) plus she recommended a car hire company who quoted a really good price. We'll be sorted for the first month while we decide which area we want to settle in. Hooray for the internet!

Well we are in OAA right now and for the money it is great. It's basic, yes, but other than that we can't complain. We have everything we need and good size accomodation close to shops/ transport etc. Our rent officer has said no worries if we break anything, they'll replace it etc etc and will give us references for future rentals. Can't fault it really. And it's only $180 a week!

Don't be put off by any bad comments about the OAA or meet and greet services

We're in our OAA now and yes its basic but its cheap and ours is right near a tram stop so only 10 mins from the city and 10 mins from the beach!!

and the neighbours are really friendly

It gives us a decent base for upto 12 weeks (and you can give a weeks notice) to explore and find the areas we like and want to settle in

The other services provided have also been pretty good explaining where everything is and plenty of tips

heres a photo of me outside our accomodation

3385518235_a790244b72.jpg

mick

Guest PEZ

Thanks for that Mick, where abouts are you? If we can get oaa and its small, basic or a bit grubby it wont worry us at all. At the end of the day its cheap and as we have never been to Oz at all it means we are not tied into a lengthy rental contract while we are searching for work and the right suburb for us.

Hi,

We're in Glandore

Its very quiet but theres a Coles and Kmart a 5 minute walk away just on the Anzac highway

Theres an indian restraurant, pizza place and a pub within walking distance as well so its got my needs sorted!!!

I doubt we will choose to live in this suburb but its just proving perfect as an initial base

good luck

mick

Guest Farrows

Hi Pez,

Congratulations on house sale!!

We too are also heading out in Sept thats me hubby and 2 boys and have applied for OAA ! Just noticed you are in Berkshire just wondered where abouts.

Good luck with it all!!

Becki:o

Guest PEZ
    Hi Pez,

Congratulations on house sale!!

We too are also heading out in Sept thats me hubby and 2 boys and have applied for OAA ! Just noticed you are in Berkshire just wondered where abouts.

Good luck with it all!!

Becki:o

Hi Becki. We live in Bracknell, i worked in reading for last 18 years, 13 at Greenbergs in off Rosekiln lane Witley and 5 at Solaglas Norcot Road. Tilehurst.

Guest woolmerdj

We have both OAA and meet and greet, both were apsolutely fine. The meet and greeter Eric and Yvonne were brilliant, very dedicated and we are still in touch with then(we arrived last august) The OAA was fine, nothing special but adaquate and cheap. It is a good base to explore different area's from(we were in Everard Park).It was basis, a bit like 1970 Butlins, but it had everything we needed and the area was very quiet. Rentals aren't cheap here and can be hard to come by. We stayed in the OAA for 6 of the 12 weeks and then found a rental in an area which was near to good school and transport for worK. You could rent straight away, if you are sure of where you want to live, but may regret it if you are locked into a year constract

Go for it

Jane

Guest bappy24

Hi i am bappy from dhaka Bangladesh, me and my family(me, my wife and 2 child) recently got our visa for Adelaide, we are planning to come here by October 23rd. i cannot find how i can get the OAA and meet & greet services, anyone there who can help me about it or get me a house for rental. i have told that house rental for newbies are very hard. no tenants want to rent their house to newbies.

Guest Adelaide_bound
    Hi i am bappy from dhaka Bangladesh, me and my family(me, my wife and 2 child) recently got our visa for Adelaide, we are planning to come here by October 23rd. i cannot find how i can get the OAA and meet & greet services, anyone there who can help me about it or get me a house for rental. i have told that house rental for newbies are very hard. no tenants want to rent their house to newbies.

They no longer offer these services unfortunately :( Best bet is to get short term accomodation and then use the tips on here (get an application pack together with loads of references etc etc in) to bomb all suitable housing and you will get somewhere - despite people saying it is hard work, everyone seems to get somewhere to rent within a couple of weeks on here, so try not to stress too much, you just need to put the legwork in. Good luck

Guest pixie7

Its a shame about the OAA etc we could defo have used the help and it would add a bit of security in the first scary weeks!

We've now given up our rental in UK (few months ago) and a bit worried about documents/references to put into a pack for rental in Oz as we are living with family until we go (probably early 2012) we will still put a reference from uk rental agency in but it will be quite old- any other ideas?? Going to put personal ref. in.....

Guest Adelaide_bound

Ref from last agency, ref from family you are staying with (especially if they have a different last name!) personal refs from anyone you can think of (especially Vicar, local Bobby etc etc lol), bank statements possibly to show funds, 'Info' page (ie, I'm a teacher, so lovely and responsible, our hobbies are reading and quietly looking after gardens' :P that sort of thing), passport page photocopy, Medicare card photocopy (for ID purposes, obviously can only do that once in Oz)....um then I start to struggle to remember - but think there were some other threads on this previously? Or someone who has actually done it recently might be able to help lol.

Guest bappy24
    They no longer offer these services unfortunately :( Best bet is to get short term accomodation and then use the tips on here (get an application pack together with loads of references etc etc in) to bomb all suitable housing and you will get somewhere - despite people saying it is hard work, everyone seems to get somewhere to rent within a couple of weeks on here, so try not to stress too much, you just need to put the legwork in. Good luck

Thank u very much but can u tell me (get an application pack together with loads of references etc etc in) where i can get it. if u let me know then i will be very grateful

bappy