We are here! But no job :-(

jo_marnes

Guest rockpool crab

Hiya,

We've been here since 23rd December and still no jobs either. It's a scary situation to be in eh. I've even applied for cleaning jobs and not got an interview. It's the usual cry when I do apply for jobs "you're too qualified and you won't be here long before you're off again". So frustrating.

Guess we just need to keep plugging away but it's the worst time to be here for sure.

I'm doing all the cold canvassing, rejigging my resume and cover letter tailored for every job, applying to everything and anything, networking in the community (i.e. the local pub..lol)..but seriously our kids are both in soccer teams and we are fairly social folk and go out quite a lot, always to anything we're invited to.....so just all need to keep our fingers crossed that one time it'll pay off. I've joined every agency too and not heard anything from them, they phone up and talk a good story about stuff they're putting me forward for then I hear nothing. :arghh:

Thinking now I really seriously need to make my own money and try my hand at something else as job hunting isn't happening for me.

Catch you later...and best of luck with all your future applications.

Carol Ann

Hi everyone,

Well we have been here about 10 days now and I am starting to fret about my husbands work situation! I know it is early days, but soon it won't be and we'll still be living on a very small pot of savings (and there is 5 of us!).

Mark is in IT and he has joined up with Hays, Hudson and another recruitment agency who I can't remember. He has been put forward for a few interviews, but no word from them except one, where he had an interview but didn't get it. What else can we be doing? It's hard to just drop CV's in to people as in his job (IT Support) he can really work anywhere - its not specific enough to select companies looking for someone like him.

How long did it take you to find a job? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jo xx

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest caoimhe

I've joined every agency too and not heard anything from them, they phone up and talk a good story about stuff they're putting me forward for then I hear nothing. :arghh:

Carol Ann

This is exactly what we found. Its so fraustrating

Guest rockpool crab
This is exactly what we found. Its so fraustrating

Hi there,

Here's what I wrote recently to "Drakes" another agency I'm with..

Hi there,

I appreciate that I didn't get this job but based on the criteria I most definitely fulfulled all of these, therefore is there some other criteria that wasn't listed that is prohibiting me from getting any further with my applications. If so can you please tell me what it is and I could then address it. I had 8 years working in a hospital environment from the typing pool, to covering various secretaries, finally my own secretarial position within ENT, covering two consultants and then onto Medical Research. My typing speed is 80 wpm and I can write 120 wpm medical shorthand. I am just looking for real reasons as to why I'm not being shortlisted. What are the "Clients Requirements"? as I believe my skills and experience are high and I would be interested to know what other people have that are better.

Thanks

Looking forward to hearing from you..here is the criteria which was listed in the advert

Fast, accurate typing skills

Knowledge of Medical Terminology

Previous experience as a Medical Typist

Carol Ann

Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 17:03:54 +1000

To: carolannhannah@hotmail.com

Subject: Medical Typist - DO005000tmmt

Dear Carol Ann

Thank you for your recent application relating to the advertised position of Medical Typist - DO005000tmmt.

Your application has been given every consideration but unfortunately, in this instance, was unsuccessful. Whilst your background and experience are impressive, some candidates had qualifications, skills and work history that was more specific to our client’s requirements.

We would like to maintain your details on file for at least three months in the event that a role becomes available that could also be of interest to you, in which case we will make every endeavour to contact you.

If you prefer your details not to be held on our database please do not hesitate to contact me . Our Personal Information Collection Statement can be viewed at ; http://www.drakeintl.com/au/footerdoc/privacy.aspx'>http://www.drakeintl.com/au/footerdoc/privacy.aspx

Please refer to our Internet site http://www.drakeintl.com and continue to apply for any roles that are of interest to you.

Once again thank you for submitting your resume to Drake. We hope to have the opportunity to assist you in future.

We'll see what happens from that...nothing I would suspect but would really like to know the other criteria. I'm thinking of taking my address off my resume..maybe because I'm South they're not shortlisting. We'll see.

Cheers

Carol Ann

When we emigrated we were also told my husbands job was in demand etc etc. Sent off CV's, cold called, contacted agencies, did all the things you have to do - you know - go back to college to get licences to be able to do some of the work he had been doing for 24 years in the UK - all with no luck whatsoever. Watched the ever growing queues for casual mundane jobs, saw over and over in the media that 5 or 6 HUNDRED people would apply for a single job. Used up all our savings trying to survive. Finally he got some retraining in a different field and got a full time job ................. two and a half years later!!!!

With hindsight we would never have emigrated at the start of a recession. This was back in 1991, it was bloody hard to survive with two small children, (and we could then apply for benefits which helped), it caused major depression, and ultimately broke my marriage up.

My advice for anyone thinking about migrating right now in this economic climate is simple - DON'T!

Just replied something similar on another thread.........but i agree....personally, unless you have a job to come out to OR are coming over with pots of money.....i'd think VERY CAREFULLY.......

The job situation is definitely getting much worse........it is taking a while for things to filter down here, but it's started.....

Hi there,

Here's what I wrote recently to "Drakes" another agency I'm with..

Hi there,

I appreciate that I didn't get this job but based on the criteria I most definitely fulfulled all of these, therefore is there some other criteria that wasn't listed that is prohibiting me from getting any further with my applications. If so can you please tell me what it is and I could then address it. I had 8 years working in a hospital environment from the typing pool, to covering various secretaries, finally my own secretarial position within ENT, covering two consultants and then onto Medical Research. My typing speed is 80 wpm and I can write 120 wpm medical shorthand. I am just looking for real reasons as to why I'm not being shortlisted. What are the "Clients Requirements"? as I believe my skills and experience are high and I would be interested to know what other people have that are better.

Thanks

Looking forward to hearing from you..here is the criteria which was listed in the advert

Fast, accurate typing skills

Knowledge of Medical Terminology

Previous experience as a Medical Typist

Carol Ann

Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 17:03:54 +1000

To: carolannhannah@hotmail.com

Subject: Medical Typist - DO005000tmmt

Dear Carol Ann

Thank you for your recent application relating to the advertised position of Medical Typist - DO005000tmmt.

Your application has been given every consideration but unfortunately, in this instance, was unsuccessful. Whilst your background and experience are impressive, some candidates had qualifications, skills and work history that was more specific to our client’s requirements.

We would like to maintain your details on file for at least three months in the event that a role becomes available that could also be of interest to you, in which case we will make every endeavour to contact you.

If you prefer your details not to be held on our database please do not hesitate to contact me . Our Personal Information Collection Statement can be viewed at ; http://www.drakeintl.com/au/footerdoc/privacy.aspx

Please refer to our Internet site www.drakeintl.com and continue to apply for any roles that are of interest to you.

Once again thank you for submitting your resume to Drake. We hope to have the opportunity to assist you in future.

We'll see what happens from that...nothing I would suspect but would really like to know the other criteria. I'm thinking of taking my address off my resume..maybe because I'm South they're not shortlisting. We'll see.

Cheers

Carol Ann

funny was just suggesting to chris he do the same. Feedback hes had hes over experienced, how can you be overexperienced lol:biglaugh:. I think i might strt my own job agency looks like money for old rope , they get roughly 5k a candidate so they dont have much incentive to look far if they are overloaded with cvs.

Guest caoimhe

Whilst your background and experience are impressive, some candidates had qualifications, skills and work history that was more specific to our client’s requirements.

Carol Ann

This is the same response my O/H was given every time he was turned down by an agency. If you do not have the exact requirements their client wants why aren't they more specific with the job decription. How do you find out what your doing wrong and how to change it:arghh:

Guest Martin and Val

We arrived in Adelaide on 22 Oct 2008 and started our search for work. Fortunately Val struck gold and started work in December. Two weeks ago she gained a pay rise and promotion which is fantastic. I on the other hand backed off my search over Christmas and then went head first into it once the New Year arrived.

So far this year I have applied for over 60 positions some with agencies and some directly to the companies, I’ve cold called armed with CV’s and letters.

I have been keeping my hope up on a particular job I went far but this week got the call that I had been beaten by another candidate. This was a hard one to swallow after being short listed from 50 applicants down to the last two. But nothing I can do about that except keep applying.

I’ve not much time for the agencies to be honest even though I have just completed my first week of work through one of them.

Just keep plugging away and be prepared as it may well take a long time to get your foot on the ladder.

Good luck

Martin

Hi there,

. I am just looking for real reasons as to why I'm not being shortlisted.

Because your not Australian I reckon. Sorry to blunt, I am in the same position as you, typed tested the other month at 70wpm and 15 years office experience. My husband lost his job but has gained another one, I think in the trades they are used to Poms but not so much in Admin - may be I am wrong. I have seen a couple of jobs advertised lately asking for residents - locals -only to apply. One was a for a Receptionist position. I thought that there was discrimination laws for that kind of thing!:policeman:

Hi there,

. I am just looking for real reasons as to why I'm not being shortlisted.

Because your not Australian I reckon. Sorry to blunt, I am in the same position as you, typed tested the other month at 70wpm and 15 years office experience. My husband lost his job but has gained another one, I think in the trades they are used to Poms but not so much in Admin - may be I am wrong. I have seen a couple of jobs advertised lately asking for residents - locals -only to apply. One was a for a Receptionist position. I thought that there was discrimination laws for that kind of thing!:policeman:

thats terrible:shocked:

Guest Libby1971

Residents means someone who lives here and all of us fit the bill. Residents generally applies to permanent residents as employers don't want to be asked to sponsor people who might leave as the costs are high. In certain areas you must be a citizen to get a job like in Centrelink. Trades might be used to poms but that has nothing to do with whether or not you get a job.

I am quite disturbed about how Aussie bashing this thread has become. You don't get a job, shame. I know when you are strapped for cash, the matter becomes pressing but with the best will in the world, no employer has to explain their decision for giving someone or not giving someone a job. There is no point getting upset and challenging anyone over it. And accusing someone of being racist and not giving you a job because you are English, well, to be blunt, get over yourself.

It took me a year to find a job and I applied for soooo many. I rang up several people to ask for feedback on my application, not ask them to justify their decision, and most would not reply. I have no idea why my application wasn't successful and it didn't really help me at the time not knowing either. You didn't get that job coz the employer didn't want you. Someone else might but that employer isn't going to change his mind so having a go is useless.

In some cases, it boils down to your references. If you do not have an Aussie reference, it will cause some issues because the possible employers won't wit until the end of their business day to make a phone call back to the UK when within 5 mins they can have the info they want by making a phone call in Aus.

You may be a great employee, but until you have a job in Australia that proves it, getting angry or having a go won't help. And it doesn't matter what job it is, any job will give you a reference.

Overexperienced is similar to overqualified and is code for might want more money so we'll get someone cheaper instead. The recession is having an impact all over the place.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I agree too Libby, we know no one when we arrive and sometimes I think people believe "my job is on the demand list I will fall into work" or "they will be waiting for me with open arms" But there is no one waiting at the airport ready to snap you up !

It takes a while ti re - establish yourself here and a potential employer might also think you could bugga off back at any moment.

Guest kangomik

I think your spot on there Libby.

Well written.

Many employers will not give a reason why incase of legal implications, and to be honest if you did not get a job in the UK how many times did you follow it up?

Good post Libby........you've made some very good points.

I also agree with what others have said.... that sometimes things happen through word of mouth or who you know.

My first job here was with Aussie Car Rentals. We'd got to know Brian very well, and he offered me some part-time work. I had decided to go back to college and learn some new skills which would add to my admin knowledge. So Brian suggested I do a few hours for him a week, which would get me some aussie work experience.

Well....it helped greatly....

We as a family have been very lucky.....dont know if it's the field we work in or not? Jon as a Chef has never been out of work since we arrived.......okay he started off working part-time/casual at first for a few weeks until a permanent position came up. But for over 3 years now, he has been in permanent full-time employment.

In that same time, i have mostly worked....all part-time admin work. But it did take me all that time to secure permanent part-time work.

Good luck to everyone

Residents means someone who lives here and all of us fit the bill. Residents generally applies to permanent residents as employers don't want to be asked to sponsor people who might leave as the costs are high. In certain areas you must be a citizen to get a job like in Centrelink. Trades might be used to poms but that has nothing to do with whether or not you get a job.

I am quite disturbed about how Aussie bashing this thread has become. You don't get a job, shame. I know when you are strapped for cash, the matter becomes pressing but with the best will in the world, no employer has to explain their decision for giving someone or not giving someone a job. There is no point getting upset and challenging anyone over it. And accusing someone of being racist and not giving you a job because you are English, well, to be blunt, get over yourself.

It took me a year to find a job and I applied for soooo many. I rang up several people to ask for feedback on my application, not ask them to justify their decision, and most would not reply. I have no idea why my application wasn't successful and it didn't really help me at the time not knowing either. You didn't get that job coz the employer didn't want you. Someone else might but that employer isn't going to change his mind so having a go is useless.

In some cases, it boils down to your references. If you do not have an Aussie reference, it will cause some issues because the possible employers won't wit until the end of their business day to make a phone call back to the UK when within 5 mins they can have the info they want by making a phone call in Aus.

You may be a great employee, but until you have a job in Australia that proves it, getting angry or having a go won't help. And it doesn't matter what job it is, any job will give you a reference.

Overexperienced is similar to overqualified and is code for might want more money so we'll get someone cheaper instead. The recession is having an impact all over the place.

I am not Aussie bashing at all! My best friend is an Australian from Adelaide, we worked together back at home. It is just difficult times here at the moment, for those of you who came out a few years ago it was probably a bit easier as there was no world financial crisis on. I am currently working with a lady who has three teenage children and she has been totally honest with me. One of her children will soon be looking for a full time job and in the next few years so will the other two and she wants them to get work. She also said that if she was an employer she would give the job to an Australian - I appreciate her honesty, she is protecting her children.

The job that I mentioned was on either seek or career one about a week a go and said that they wanted a resident - local. I will try and find it to see if it still on there.

Guest Kraig1967
I am not Aussie bashing at all! My best friend is an Australian from Adelaide, we worked together back at home. It is just difficult times here at the moment, for those of you who came out a few years ago it was probably a bit easier as there was no world financial crisis on. I am currently working with a lady who has three teenage children and she has been totally honest with me. One of her children will soon be looking for a full time job and in the next few years so will the other two and she wants them to get work. She also said that if she was an employer she would give the job to an Australian - I appreciate her honesty, she is protecting her children.

The job that I mentioned was on either seek or career one about a week a go and said that they wanted a resident - local. I will try and find it to see if it still on there.

Well said, I didn't pick up any Aussie bashing at all, I've got the impression that when someone airs their fears on here regarding employment, and asking for advice because they are worried about cash they are told to stop complaining. People read too much between the lines ans then insert what they think.........

No-one has mentioned that they expected to walk into a job, or that they expected everything to land at their feet, all they asked was how long and any suggestions.

When all they want to know is are there any good tips as to being successful in gaining employment, ideas, things to include/omit on your Resume etc etc etc

So to start off we have bee told to omit from our Resume

1) Age

2) Visa type

3) Resident status

4) Edit for each application

5) Referees - Try and use EMail addresses only, this omits time zones and the need for phone calls

If the prospective employer want to know this let them ask and then you can explain in full detail what they want to know.

And also expect to start a few levels lower than your employment in the UK, tailor your Resume and covering letter to each job you apply for, my wife currently has 27 different Resumes and covering letters saved on her laptop and just edits each one for each new job application. As Martin said earlier, KEEP PLUGGING AWAY, something will come up and anything is a start, I was a self employed plumber in the UK and I now wash cars for a living.

There is a clear distinction between a resident and a local.

A lot of businesses will specify a local person i.e. in the vincinity, as a huge percentage of jobs are casual/on call/temporary and they can, and often do, call you up and expect you to be at work within half an hour. That's why they need locals - so you can get to work quickly. It's no good living in Seaford for example and applying for jobs in Smithfield - you are not local. However you would certainly be a RESIDENT - it is an entirely different thing.

From my own experiences years ago I was told by a very experienced Australian HR (I absolutely hate that term HR) manager how most businesses then weeded out who they will interview and contact for job vacancies. Remember this was 17 years ago when hundreds would apply for one vacancy, and in the days before email CV's. He would get 3 or 4 hundred paper CV's - make two piles one male applicants, one female applicants. One pile would go straight in the bin. Next two piles - over 30's, under 30's. One pile straight in bin. Next two piles - one page CV, more than one page. One pile into bin. Then a quick glance over work continuity and experience - by this time he would be down to a handful of whom he would probably choose only 2 to contact and interview. The reason most applications don't result in any further contact is because your details are not retained!

You certainly can't limit yourself to only looking for your dream job, or to doing what you are qualified for. Just apply for anything and everything and be prepared to be bitterly disappointed a lot.

Someone earlier posted about applying for cleaners jobs without success. My advice is to make sure you have an ABN, as a lot of cleaners are sub contract and you will need to be registered as a sole trader. Also a lot of cleaning is done during extremely unsociable hours (2am starts etc) so be prepared for broken nights. Some companies/agencies also require you to have Hep A and B shots before you start work with them as a cleaner.

Just read post above ............. I used to wash cars too! Great cashie job.

Hiya,

We've been here since 23rd December and still no jobs either.

Carol Ann

Hi

I have just spoken to a friend who works at Flinders Hospital. There is a Medical Secretary temp pool there. You can apply direct to them. If you go on to their website and follow on from Careers there or you can go into their HR office at Flinders and pick up an application form Their Medical Pool Secretaries are kept in work and busy.

Good luck.

Guest Martin and Val
In certain areas you must be a citizen to get a job like in Centrelink.

No entirely correct Libby.

Although it's only temporary and through an agent I'm working for Centrelink.

Found this today....it doesnt make good reading....

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,27574,25256522-2682,00.html

This last paragraph confirms what some of us have noticed about the job section in the paper..

On July 5 last year, there were 1021 job advertisements in the CareerOne section of The Advertiser. On March 21 this year, there were just 586 ads.

Guest rockpool crab
Hi

I have just spoken to a friend who works at Flinders Hospital. There is a Medical Secretary temp pool there. You can apply direct to them. If you go on to their website and follow on from Careers there or you can go into their HR office at Flinders and pick up an application form Their Medical Pool Secretaries are kept in work and busy.

Good luck.

What a star! fantastic I'll do that tomorrow for sure.

THANK YOU

Carol Ann :notworthy:

So that means 40 people ahead of my husband with contacts etc or who are known in the industry!

My OH - also an electrical engineer*- recently went for a job at the airport. He has seen a lot of engineering jobs go/cut down recently so thought he probably wouldn't even get an interview. Well he was one of the lucky few (6, I believe) that were seen, but was told that there had been over 120 applications received! How horrific is that?! He didn't get the job, but really didn't expect to (though he hoped like crazy!) as there are so many people out there fighting for the same few jobs. Amongst those will be the 'perfect' person for the job usually with absolutely spot-on experience and possibly backed up by personal links.

One of our very good friends -Australian- was made redundant after over 20 years. He has soooo much experience of many different aspects of his job, has been responsible for training others in-house and at TAFEs, is well-known (in the right way!) round Adelaide and had great personal contacts. Brilliant as he is, four months on he still hasn't got a job - and he's not proud and is applying for just about anything! Recently he was offered work on the road twisting the stop-and-go sign. Typically he was told that he would need to take a course first, then go back and there would be plenty of work. $180 later, he still has not been offered any work.

We also know a medical secretary. She's been working in the field for a long time now, after leaving nursing. Last year she decided to try to find another job. Again, she has heaps of experience and connections, but still could not find another place.

I think what I'm trying to say is even Aussies are finding it hard, which doesn't help migrants but is a sign of the times I guess.

I also think it's important to remember that SA advertises the need for particular job skills, and SA probably needs them - just not necessarily in Adelaide. Which sucks, but there you go.

Good luck to all of us. I think we're going to need it.

:wubclub: LC

Has also been known as a project manager and facilities manager, depending where he's worked.

PS. GOOD LUCK CAROL ANN!

Guest rockpool crab

Hiya,

Cheers for the good luck wishes. Yup...tiz a sign of the times for sure. Guess I'll just keep "pluggin away" as they say.

I've applied for 10 jobs today but mostly agency stuff. Theres a couple of jobs that I need to really sit down and concentrate to ensure the letters are spot on for non agency posts. I started pulling together info. for them but my head is buzzing so took a break and did some more agency work.

It's a slog but I'm sure it'll be worth it one day.

We just got to keep thinking positively..Karma..and all that jazz :D

Cheers

Carol Ann

My OH - also an electrical engineer*- recently went for a job at the airport. He has seen a lot of engineering jobs go/cut down recently so thought he probably wouldn't even get an interview. Well he was one of the lucky few (6, I believe) that were seen, but was told that there had been over 120 applications received! How horrific is that?! He didn't get the job, but really didn't expect to (though he hoped like crazy!) as there are so many people out there fighting for the same few jobs. Amongst those will be the 'perfect' person for the job usually with absolutely spot-on experience and possibly backed up by personal links.

One of our very good friends -Australian- was made redundant after over 20 years. He has soooo much experience of many different aspects of his job, has been responsible for training others in-house and at TAFEs, is well-known (in the right way!) round Adelaide and had great personal contacts. Brilliant as he is, four months on he still hasn't got a job - and he's not proud and is applying for just about anything! Recently he was offered work on the road twisting the stop-and-go sign. Typically he was told that he would need to take a course first, then go back and there would be plenty of work. $180 later, he still has not been offered any work.

We also know a medical secretary. She's been working in the field for a long time now, after leaving nursing. Last year she decided to try to find another job. Again, she has heaps of experience and connections, but still could not find another place.

I think what I'm trying to say is even Aussies are finding it hard, which doesn't help migrants but is a sign of the times I guess.

I also think it's important to remember that SA advertises the need for particular job skills, and SA probably needs them - just not necessarily in Adelaide. Which sucks, but there you go.

Good luck to all of us. I think we're going to need it.

:wubclub: LC

Has also been known as a project manager and facilities manager, depending where he's worked.

PS. GOOD LUCK CAROL ANN!

Guest paddyhaha

Ditto on the job front, been here six months nearly and still no joy on the job front. We were told plumbers would walk into work but 4 interviews and far to many no responses gets you down