We are here! But no job :-(

jo_marnes

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jo&Phil

Try Manpower (Grenfell St, 4th floor - ? - of small office building next to food court - on left if you access from King William St). They used to do specific IT support recruitment for a number of companies, lovely chap called Malachy (Irish) in charge of that bit.

Dept Treasury (SA state gov) have an IT job going in today's Advertiser .... it may not be up his street but worth a look. I'm not sure what your visa status is but you don't have to be a citizen for SA Govt jobs (but do for most federal govt ones) --- eg half my dept in a Govt agency are not Aussie citizens and we've all been there for ages (or it feels like it)

Good luck with the job hunting :)

Hi everyone,

Well we have been here about 10 days now and I am starting to fret about my husbands work situation! I know it is early days, but soon it won't be and we'll still be living on a very small pot of savings (and there is 5 of us!).

Mark is in IT and he has joined up with Hays, Hudson and another recruitment agency who I can't remember. He has been put forward for a few interviews, but no word from them except one, where he had an interview but didn't get it. What else can we be doing? It's hard to just drop CV's in to people as in his job (IT Support) he can really work anywhere - its not specific enough to select companies looking for someone like him.

How long did it take you to find a job? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jo xx

Guest Jo&Phil
Hi there,

. I am just looking for real reasons as to why I'm not being shortlisted.

Because your not Australian I reckon. Sorry to blunt, I am in the same position as you, typed tested the other month at 70wpm and 15 years office experience. My husband lost his job but has gained another one, I think in the trades they are used to Poms but not so much in Admin - may be I am wrong. I have seen a couple of jobs advertised lately asking for residents - locals -only to apply. One was a for a Receptionist position. I thought that there was discrimination laws for that kind of thing!:policeman:

I'm really sorry you're having that sort of experience, especially as it's completely different to my own. I guess there are organisations the world over that we wouldn't want to work for!

If you are looking for administration work, the public service has a 'pool' which puts you into casual positions which can turn into longer contracts and even permanancy. The universities ditto.

Is there a sector of industry that you particularly like or have experience in? If so it might be worth looking at that industry's 'professional association' website and hitting organisations on it.

Hope you find a nice job soon

Guest sandar1

Hey guys I know how hard it can be and frightening as one other poster has said watching your savings dwindle. My son arrived (he fortunately had family here) was offered work, very underpaid work which he accepted and was grateful for. It took him a couple of months to get however, he then started to work for himself and really did quite well, unfortunately the strain was too much on their marriage and my daughter in law was so homesick they have now left.

Myself, I arrived back in Oz hoping to retire and due to my marital breakup had to begin looking for work, only to be told that I was overqualified and that no one would pay the money I had been earning overseas and it was the situation unfortunately where I was asked why I would stay if offered a position by another company for more they felt I would jump at it. So I then downgraded my experience just to get interviews, not sure if anyone else has been to a mass interview (horrible) basically you are called in to interview, when you arrive there are about 20 other people there. You are put into a room and given a subject to discuss and they then dismiss the ones they don't think cut the mustard, then they give you another subject etcetera. I'm not sure how long it went on for but after cut 3 I left of my own accord.

In the end I was fortunate enough to have some money left over from the sale of my house and bought my own business. I know so many are not able to do this, I personally have helped several immigrants get jobs when they have been into my shop and have been discussing their situations. I guess if we all work together we can help and support one another, even if we don't have a job to offer just a shoulder to lean on really helps.

Good luck to all seeking jobs, just hang in there.

Guest rockpool crab

Hi there,

Last week was definitely more positive. No work but I visited a lot of new agencies and it all seemed to go quite well. I know I've been put forward to cover orthopaedic secretaries (A role I've done previously)..and my vibes are that I'm the only one they have on their books who has covered this specialty so I'm reeeeally hoping to hear tomorrow.

I'm chasing the administration route as I thought, rather naively I guess, that I might get temping work. But it seems an equally difficult sector to get work in, even with my "impressive skills".

Next week I'm going to all the IT agencies as I've revamped my resume based on a discussion I had with an IT agent on Friday. The guy was so so so helpful, and a fellow Scot, so I'm hoping when he see's my new resume on Monday it might be easier for him to place me. He said it only takes one person to take you on and you'll find the jobs start coming along as soon as you get an Australian Reference and the job description on your resume, he said it makes a huuuuuuuge difference, but it still takes the one job to get the ball rolling.

I have registered with the uni. pools and Flinders Private Hospital Suites...as well as Flinders Medical Centre typing pool.

I'm still quite chipper about it all but don't know how long that'll last as the money runs out..eeek.

Best of luck to everyone out there still searching. If I ever get a job and hear of anything where I work this will be my first port of call i.e. I'll post the job on here and give you all a heads up. As someone else said "if we all look out for each other"...such true words.

Catch you all later

Carol Ann

I'm really sorry you're having that sort of experience, especially as it's completely different to my own. I guess there are organisations the world over that we wouldn't want to work for!

If you are looking for administration work, the public service has a 'pool' which puts you into casual positions which can turn into longer contracts and even permanancy. The universities ditto.

Is there a sector of industry that you particularly like or have experience in? If so it might be worth looking at that industry's 'professional association' website and hitting organisations on it.

Hope you find a nice job soon

Guest sandar1

Hey good Luck Carol Ann, honestly if we all just think about each other it helps definately that Karma thing going on. Personally I always found the temping a great way to go, once people can see what you are like to work with they either keep you on or recommend you to someone else. Poms generally have such a great work ethic and it is appreciated.

Once again good luck to everyone out there, and if we all post jobs etc that we hear of it has to help doesn't it.

Sandra D

What a Gas.What Entertainment.Ive discovered tonight that,in the face of adversity(as we all try to secure our future here)we have amongst us certain people who patronise smugly,with smarmy ,smart arsed innuendo,and they proclaim to be technical experts qualified to the hilt,yet they can't even spell the name of their true vocation,let alone anything else!Who needs that? How did they ever get a job here with spelling like that,as the Resume appears to be of paramount importance when searching for a job.I suppose they are just "Bushlitters".

Adelaide is a lovely place to live (and work) theres no doubt about it, But come on people did you really all expect to arrive here, and walk into the first “perfect” job you applied for ?

Anyone who says that life in Aus is all rosey is bull****ting, its bloody hard work from day one BUT it does get easier, you stop comparing everything with the good ole UK, stop wanting sausages that the local butcher makes etc etc

Im sorry but life has taught me that in order to get anywhere you have to work at it. We, like many others arrived here with no jobs, and we really didn't expect to get the first one that was offered. Everything thing takes time (even in the UK) ok so it might be a little slower here but eventually things do start to happen. Just be patient, remind yourselves of the reasons why you left the UK and chose Australia.

Take off your rose coloured glasses (the UK is still as **** as it was when you left!)

Guest Kraig1967
Adelaide is a lovely place to live (and work) theres no doubt about it, But come on people did you really all expect to arrive here, and walk into the first “perfect” job you applied for ?

Anyone who says that life in Aus is all rosey is bull****ting, its bloody hard work from day one BUT it does get easier, you stop comparing everything with the good ole UK, stop wanting sausages that the local butcher makes etc etc

Im sorry but life has taught me that in order to get anywhere you have to work at it. We, like many others arrived here with no jobs, and we really didn't expect to get the first one that was offered. Everything thing takes time (even in the UK) ok so it might be a little slower here but eventually things do start to happen. Just be patient, remind yourselves of the reasons why you left the UK and chose Australia.

Take off your rose coloured glasses (the UK is still as **** as it was when you left!)

:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

No-one expected to walk into a perfect job, no-one says on here that they did, what they have found is that the job market is becoming harder to break in to from a migrants prospective and if anybody has any tips on securing that first elusive job before the funds run out.

nothing to do with sausages, butchers or anything else that you think you have seen in this thread.

Guest sandar1

Because I didn't immigrate, but just moved back to Adelaide can someone explain to me, do you all have to find a job within a set amount of time and have that company sponsor you, or can you work for yourself ie: start your own business. If so is there some way in which the rest of us can support at least those of you who are in a trade by hiring you or putting together a list of people available as electricians, plumbers, hairdressers, teachers (available for tutoring) etcetera (just a thought). My mum and dad immigrated here when I was very young, same situation tough times in those days and Mum ended up left in Adelaide got a job at Holdens and Dad was sent to Maralinga to work, they made it through but I still remember the tears etcetera. I have lived in several countries over the years with my ex husband and know full well how bloody hard it can be and you do get homesick for everything, family, food, weather, old jobs, old friends, but eventually you slide into place and you enjoy your new home, friends etcetera, just hold in there, and once again let's see if we can try to work out some way to put together a list of people with skills, not quite sure how, but I am surely willing to help if I can.

Night y'all.

the job market is becoming harder to break in to from a migrants prospective ....

With all due respect, and good luck to everyone that is looking, the job market is pretty bloody tough for EVERYONE - we have been here five years and OH has recently been made redundant, and it's happening to a lot of aussies too. This is a global recession, job hunting is hard, jobs are scarce. It's nothing to do with where you come from. Even true blue aussies are having it tough. The only positive thing I can think of to say is that you only need ONE job, and hopefully, you and it will find each other one way or another - you just have to make sure you try everything to give you the best possible chance. Companies seem scared to hire anyone at the moment, but honestly, if its tough and seems impossible, it's really nothing to do with you being a migrant!

Can't offer any good advice I'm afraid, because if I knew the answer, OH wouldn't be still looking!

Guest Kraig1967
With all due respect, and good luck to everyone that is looking, the job market is pretty bloody tough for EVERYONE - we have been here five years and OH has recently been made redundant, and it's happening to a lot of aussies too. This is a global recession, job hunting is hard, jobs are scarce. It's nothing to do with where you come from. Even true blue aussies are having it tough. The only positive thing I can think of to say is that you only need ONE job, and hopefully, you and it will find each other one way or another - you just have to make sure you try everything to give you the best possible chance. Companies seem scared to hire anyone at the moment, but honestly, if its tough and seems impossible, it's really nothing to do with you being a migrant!

Can't offer any good advice I'm afraid, because if I knew the answer, OH wouldn't be still looking!

My point was that if you have Aussie experience/references then it may be 'slightly' easier to get a job, being a new migrant you will not have these thus possibly making it harder.

Its tough out there right now, people are on here asking for advice/help/tips and how people are finding work nothing to do with 'the good ole UK', 'butchers' or 'sausages' so I think you will find from a new migrants point of view things do look bleak as the funds dwindle because there are several Aussies out there who are after the same job as you and are IMHO more likely to get it. Nothing to do with race, creed or colour its just down to Australian qualifications/work experience and the way the employment climate is right now as prospective employers will not risk employing a new migrant as they are wary that they could leave and head back 'home' if things get worse.

Guest Kraig1967
yup its hard, no doubt about it, but FFS stop bemoaning everything Australian and get on with it or pee off back to the UK

With all due respect, where is the bemoaning everything Australian? FFS either say something useful or say nothing as stupid comments are not helpful.

Whats going on?this link has got it all!Whats all this FFS business.I can't stop laughing.Beats watching TV any day,thanks folks.

Can't agree more Billy, it seems that some folks here are either all chit or all sugar, doesn't seem that long ago most of the posts were *how great my life is in SA* now the gloss has worn off it's all *how chit is it here, the agencies aren't the same, the drivers are crap blah blah blah blah :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest rockpool crab
Can't agree more Billy, it seems that some folks here are either all chit or all sugar, doesn't seem that long ago most of the posts were *how great my life is in SA* now the gloss has worn off it's all *how chit is it here, the agencies aren't the same, the drivers are crap blah blah blah blah :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Well I, for one, still love it here and don't doubt that I never will. If I don't get a job then I will "pee off back"...and that'll be that.....loved the adventure and the gloss still isn't off here as I think this is a fabulous place to live and I feel lucky to be living here.

I know of all the agencies I've been to they are incredibly helpful and I have no doubt that if they had plenty of jobs to give out then they would.

I heard today that Job Stateswide are shutting down 8 out of 10 offices. This was a government funded employment agency.

Worst case scenario, we don't get work and we do go back...to give it a bit of perspective ...nobody died...it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm sure our families would be more than happy with that result!

Carol Ann

Guest Martin and Val
Worst case scenario, we don't get work and we do go back...to give it a bit of perspective ...nobody died...it wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm sure our families would be more than happy with that result!

Carol Ann

That's a very true quote Carol,

It's hard for everyone at the moment and that's not just here in Australia but everywhere else also.

If you have a job, well done. If you're hunting, good luck.

One things for certain Australia is where we are staying, but I suppose you never know what is around the corner.

We love it here, the people, the place and even the drivers!

We belong here now and in just 6 months feel very much at home.

Chin up everybody, enjoy the adventure even though it is hard at times.

Martin

Guest BAZnDAF

I Know I'm not there at the moment, but surely if you are unemployed in Australia and you decide to move back to England, then you'll just be unemployed in England minus the money it cost to get back!

Its a case of living where your happiest.

I didn't want to start arguments with this post!!

I just want to say thanks to those who have been positive and for those who have given us tips and contacts - very much appreciated. Mark has had an interview with one company this week and is hoping to hear on Monday. Fingers crossed.

Best of luck to everyone else looking too xxx

Good luck Jo, its a shame when these posts go this way. Let us know how you get on.

Denise

Guest Django

I must say we (also 6 months in) love it here. I'm not working and need to find something sooner rather than later. But we are here for the long term. We knew it wasn't going to be easy but loving the challenge.;)

Whats all this FFS business.

Chatroom abreviation 'For F*** Sake'.

Guest rockpool crab
I Know I'm not there at the moment, but surely if you are unemployed in Australia and you decide to move back to England, then you'll just be unemployed in England minus the money it cost to get back!

Its a case of living where your happiest.

Hi there,

Both myself and hubbie took a two year career break and we're renting our house in Scotland. So if it comes to it we'll go back.

I don't want to, but if I have to, then we will.

You're right though..a hugely expensive holiday at the end of the day ..gulp.

Hope to be here for the long haul though...truly do.

Carol Ann

Guest Kraig1967
I must say we (also 6 months in) love it here. I'm not working and need to find something sooner rather than later. But we are here for the long term. We knew it wasn't going to be easy but loving the challenge.;)

Exactly the same situation as a lot of people posting on this thread, no mention of anyone wanting to 'pee off' or the gloss has gone or how bad it is here, just a figment of someones over imagination, who reads something and then decides it says something completely different. Quite a talent if you can pull it off well.

This originally started of for advice on the job market, quelling peoples fears and help with tips on applying for jobs. All in here if you can pick through the whole thread.

Good luck to all the job hunters and let us know how it all turns out and anything that you feel may help others in the same situation. My OH has had only her second job interview in three months today so fingers crossed this time next week she will be working for Haighs' Chocolates, if not then we'll keep 'plugging away', sorry to steal your quote Martin but its what one must do before 'Peeing off back to the good Ole UK for some of them sausages that the local butcher makes that we all miss so much.

Take it easy people

Guest rockpool crab

Best of luck Jo and Jacky..got my fingers crossed for you and would just love to log on and see you both secured work!

Cheers

Carol Ann