jo_marnes

Our first Adelaide update!

Hi everyone,

Well we have been in Adelaide for 10 days now and the time has gone so fast! We have had not the best of starts with our youngest (Leo) getting a sickness bug and the passing it on to our 2 yr old and then my husband and my parents! Luckily myself and my eldest seem to have avoided it but it seemed like I spent the whole of the first week cleaning up sick and poo! :confused: Not good.

We are in OAA in Port Adelaide and the house is a great size. Basic, but clean enough and with all the things we need. Excellent for $180 a week and because rent is done Sat - Sat and we arrived Monday, we were actually living here rent free for the first 5 days! :)

We haven't managed to do as much as I'd have liked to yet. We have sorted the bank accounts, TFNs, car and driving license but have yet to do Medicare, my husband has not yet got a job and we have only got mobile broadband and one temporary mobile set up.

Our initial reaction to Adelaide (having never been to Australia before!) is positive, although there are quite a few things we are finding tricky to get the hang of. We are always getting lost :skeptical: and I am not used to everywhere being shut so early! I'm used to popping out to Tesco in the evening or getting take-away. So far we have had one curry and one thai and safe to say I'll be doing it myself in the future, lol. The kids are loving the beach (well, Leo the youngest isn't too keen on the sea!) and seeing my parents again.

We had a drive about the other day and went down to Hallett Cove. Beautiful views! Haven't seen anywhere in particular that I really feel I would like to live although West Lakes seems nice. Public transport isn't so good there though, so not sure how realistic that is for us if my husband gets a job in the city. I am looking forward to getting into a routine so that we are all a bit more settled. That won't really happen until Mark gets a job though. Until we have income, we can't look for a rental and we can't look for schools etc if we don't know where to live! Frustrating.

Our stuff is supposed to be arriving next weekend (although will still need to get through customs etc) and we have no where to put it!

Went up to Cleland yesterday which was nice. Looking forward to going on a wine tour with my Mum and Sister. They have done Barossa and we were thinking about McClaren Vale - anyone reccommend a company?

So in summary I guess we are feeling a bit out of our depth at the moment. But we don't want to go back to the UK so I guess that's a good sign. Even though we had a Red Back in the loo yesterday - eek! lol.

Jo (and Mark, Aaron, James and Leo!) xxx

Guest The Pickles

Hi Jo, it's great reading things like this... neither of us have ever been to Australia before too so it's good to see that things from your side are positive! No 24 hour garages to buy milk in then I presume... something we'll all get used to eventually! We arrive in July, keep us updated!

Marilyn, Glenn and Louis (age 3) x

Guest Glindy

Hi Jo, just wanted to say welcome. I have been here nearly 6 months now, and we had OAA in Seacliff which was really nice, apart from a weirdo living a few doors up from us, other than that things are great, it is weird getting used to certain things alright, but now I am well used to them.

Hope all goes well for you and your family.

Best wishes

:)

There are 24 hour petrol stations that sell milk. In the city there are also one or two 24 hr convenience stores should you wish to fork out their prices.

Guest graandjac

;)all sounds too easy to me , things comming together very well.

Guest LordLucan
    Hi Jo, it's great reading things like this... neither of us have ever been to Australia before too so it's good to see that things from your side are positive! No 24 hour garages to buy milk in then I presume... something we'll all get used to eventually! We arrive in July, keep us updated!

Marilyn, Glenn and Louis (age 3) x

There are loads of 24-hour garages, so don't worry about that! Most of them are like mini-supermarkets, and many also serve warm food. No supermarkets after 9pm though - but hey, surely we can all manage to get there before then!

Guest kangomik

most butchers and fish places close early doors saturday, unless they are in Malls. Most supermarkets are shut by 5pm saturday. They close on public holidays!

Some mackers are open 24 hours, and most fuel stations (servos) have food in them, so if open 24 hours then the food normally is too.

10 days wow, must just be over the jet lag. Don't worry about the red backs, if you look hard enough you will find them, the trick is not to look so hard.

I think barossa is better than mclaren, but i don't drink wine and am told it's still cheaper in the shops. But Barrossa is a nice drive.

Tried Handhorf for a day at the weekend?

theres loads of places, you will be lucky being at the port you would have seen all the new (11) baby Dolphins by now!

Coles on Anzac Highway reopens at midnight everynight except Saturday into sunday.

Opposite the Marion hotel on Marion Rd there is a small Foodland that is open til 11, not a big range but good for the basics at supermarket prices.

Vilis bakery cafe is 24 hrs, it's on South Rd for those that need a pie at 3am.

The bakery on OConnell St Nth Adelaide is open 24 hrs.

The chip shop (red n white one i think) is open til about 4 am.....I'm sounding like a late night food owl....:biglaugh:

Guest Shel
    Hi everyone,

Well we have been in Adelaide for 10 days now and the time has gone so fast! We have had not the best of starts with our youngest (Leo) getting a sickness bug and the passing it on to our 2 yr old and then my husband and my parents! Luckily myself and my eldest seem to have avoided it but it seemed like I spent the whole of the first week cleaning up sick and poo! :confused: Not good.

We are in OAA in Port Adelaide and the house is a great size. Basic, but clean enough and with all the things we need. Excellent for $180 a week and because rent is done Sat - Sat and we arrived Monday, we were actually living here rent free for the first 5 days! :)

We haven't managed to do as much as I'd have liked to yet. We have sorted the bank accounts, TFNs, car and driving license but have yet to do Medicare, my husband has not yet got a job and we have only got mobile broadband and one temporary mobile set up.

Our initial reaction to Adelaide (having never been to Australia before!) is positive, although there are quite a few things we are finding tricky to get the hang of. We are always getting lost :skeptical: and I am not used to everywhere being shut so early! I'm used to popping out to Tesco in the evening or getting take-away. So far we have had one curry and one thai and safe to say I'll be doing it myself in the future, lol. The kids are loving the beach (well, Leo the youngest isn't too keen on the sea!) and seeing my parents again.

We had a drive about the other day and went down to Hallett Cove. Beautiful views! Haven't seen anywhere in particular that I really feel I would like to live although West Lakes seems nice. Public transport isn't so good there though, so not sure how realistic that is for us if my husband gets a job in the city. I am looking forward to getting into a routine so that we are all a bit more settled. That won't really happen until Mark gets a job though. Until we have income, we can't look for a rental and we can't look for schools etc if we don't know where to live! Frustrating.

Our stuff is supposed to be arriving next weekend (although will still need to get through customs etc) and we have no where to put it!

Went up to Cleland yesterday which was nice. Looking forward to going on a wine tour with my Mum and Sister. They have done Barossa and we were thinking about McClaren Vale - anyone reccommend a company?

So in summary I guess we are feeling a bit out of our depth at the moment. But we don't want to go back to the UK so I guess that's a good sign. Even though we had a Red Back in the loo yesterday - eek! lol.

Jo (and Mark, Aaron, James and Leo!) xxx

Hi Jo

Sorry to hear about the sickness....must be loads of it going around as we are all just in the middle of it (our 10 month old started it)...all sat on the sofa waiting for our turn lol...

We have been here 6 months now and know what you mean, I felt so strange and didn't know how I would get on without my 24hr Tesco....and even though I do miss wandering round buying things I didn't need....the longing has gone and ive got used to the shutting early and going to the post office for my stamps!!

Hope you hubby gets a job soon.....we are near Hallett Cove it's beautiful!!....I would say get the medicare sorted asap just incase....we needed a couple of weeks ago for our eldest and the hospital was great compared with the UK!!

shel x

Hi Jo

Glad your enjoying Adelaide even if it is taking some time to settle in. From what I've seen of your pics on Facebook looks like you have been enjoying yourselves.

Sorry to hear about the sickness but it will pass soon hopefully. Hope Mark finds a jop soon, so keep us posted.

Take care

Michelle