Trevali

Whether to bring fridge freezer from UK

Hi all,

Can anybody advise whether it is worth shipping our fridge freezer from U.K. to Oz. We have been advised by shippers that U.K. fridge freezers cannot cope with the heat in Oz as the seals on the doors are not thick enough and therefore would be mopping pools of water up. Is this true?

Thanks

Alison x

We brought ours and use it as our drinks fridge/vege freezer now - but I think the rules may have changed since we brought it out so check with your shippers if yours complies with current regs. It has no trouble in the high temps - we just try not to open it too much when it's over 40 degs outside. After all, your house is hopefully cooler!

Guest redfoxy

We brought ours and use them in the garage as a drinks fridge and freezer for ice cubes and ice creams. We have a big one which we bought off the house owners inside.

I would bring every thing, these houses are hard to fill !! as dont forget we live outside as muc as possible !!

Guest theforrests

We brought ours with us over a year ago - we're still using it as our main fridge and freezer and its still doing fine ... no pools of water or the like. From memory I think there is a website you can go to check whether yours complies with the regulations - ask your shippers.

Sarah

Guest TRIMIX

Your mover is telling you a load of pork pies, the only reason you would want to leave it in England is if the refrigerant is a hydrocarbon. If it one of the new ozone friendlier types which is posted on the web then you should bring it. That includes the blown insulation that keeps the cold in. If it is fairly new the UKs fridges and freezers comply anyway. The type of refrigerant used will be on the back of it with a R number.

Guest Bernie

Hi Alison,

That's a new one! You might find you eventually upgrade to a bigger fridge here. Have a look at some elcetrical retailers here for size and price comparisons. As others have mentioned it may come in handy as a second fridge down the track (consider electricity costs of running two). No need to get rid of a perfectly good fridge if you have the room to bring it.

Links for you;

Harvey Norman

The Good Guys

Guest ReadyPenny

Alison

We were advised the same and left ours behind. However, I have met loads of families who brough their and they are fine, although most of them have now bought new and use it as a spare for beer, ice cream etc in the garage. I would say if you are paying for a container, check the regs re the cfcs etc and bring it along.

Mandy

Guest Chelseadownunder

Ours is fine, its an Americam Fridge Freezer. But kids had a tin of beans just before we left and put it open inside fridge the day of the removal. Not to be recommended!!!! I have never smelt anything like it. Warning Check it just before they rap it up!!

Steve