Guest Tones

Opinions please - Which school?

Guest Tones

Hi

We've been in Adelaide 1 week and staying in Frewville. We're looking at areas/ houses/ schools etc and becoming increasingly confused. My oldest turned 4 November gone.

Is it true Adelaide's best schools are catholic and in the city-east? I appreciate much depends on child's needs etc but we need a safe, good standard of teaching, on the right track and opposed to letting kids run riot.

Yours in anticipation

Dee

No the best schools are not catholic and they are not just in the eastern suburbs. People think the eastern suburbs schools are good because the people who live in this area are usually well settled , fairly financially secure and so do not have the behavioural anti social behaviours that this some times causes in other areas. The parents living in these areas usually have high expectations for their kids and so expect them to be taught and to behave and learn. The teachers have an easier time because of this and so get to teach the whole curriculum instead of behaviour management. There are plenty of other areas like this in adelaide. Think what you would like from the area you want to live in and then look at the schools in and close by. I'm sure you will find a school that will meet your needs. Especially at primary level.

Guest Tones

Brilliant and thanks. Any ideas for other areas in which you refer? We were bound for Hallett Cove areas etc but yesterday learned from local real-estates of ongoing teen problems, poor schools, graffiti, arson and bush painting. We’re now disappointed because the locality portrayed an attractive lifestyle [which so easily attracts Brits chasing an Oz dream].

Blackwood and surrounding areas have good schools yet are close to the beach, a 15 min 20 min drive. Marion shopping mall with the cinemas and also Mitcham shopping mall which also has cinemas are about 10 -15 mins drive. There is a large outdoor pool at Marion. The primary schools usually have a good community spirit and there are scouts guides, soccer, dance etc in the area and a rec centre which has art classes etc.

There are probably other areas down south that people living there will probably fill you in and I'm sure Diane will be on soon with the virtues of the North East suburbs. Don't worry there are plenty of other areas.

...We were bound for Hallett Cove areas etc but yesterday learned from local real-estates of ongoing teen problems, poor schools, graffiti, arson and bush painting...

There's not that much for sale in HC in the 4 bed, 2 bath category that a lot of British families are looking for when they get here so, consequently, there's not much for them to sell you.

We've been living in Hallett Cove for coming up to 18 months now and can highly recommend the place - there are parts of HC that are better than others but you will find that with any area. The R12 hasn't the reputation of Brighton High School, granted, but we can't all afford to live there!

Have a look at St Ignatius in Norwood for Private, or Norwood Primary (State) - I have heard good things about both. I haven't heard anything bad about any of the schools in the Eastern suburbs, but dependent on where you will be working, the South eastern and north eastern suburbs schools are also excellent. By the way, you don't have to be catholic, or even particularly religious, to get your child into a private school! The non-denominational ones tend to be more expensive. There are some excellent state schools as well though!

I would highly recommend living near to whatever school you send your kids to - once they start having schoolmate play dates, you don't want to spend all your waking hours driving all over the place so if you live fairly close to the school, in most cases the school friends will live nearby! Similarly you don't want a long drive to and from work each day, so pick your rough area dependent on your work, then look around and ask around (in delis, shopping centres, people in the parks) for recommendations of local schools!

Also what suits one child might not necessarily suit another - only you know your child's personality, so only you really can judge what would be best. Some people have bad experiences, some good - I know of one private school mentioned in a post above where the people I spoke to were very disappointed for instance at the standard of their son's education ... horses for courses and all that...

Incidentally, as you're staying in Frewville, it's natural that the people you have been meeting have extolled the virtues of the East - I'm sure if you'd been staying at Aldinga instead, the locals would have told you how wonderful the south is! It's a rare person who will knock the area they've chosen themselves!

Guest guest5218

I had heard that the schools in H/C were good. We have just moved to Sheidow Park and wondered about the schools there.

we were living up north before but we didnt like the area too much industial for us...so when we had a look down south, we fell in love with the area...nice beaches....and u need to look first for a short term rental if ur renting...so that u can easily be free from ur lease agreement if u find an area that u like to be in...