ozzieclare2be

random Q about birds

Guest Nicky&Andy

when on our recci , there were black and white birds which sound like the clangers( if any one is old enough to remember the kids tv programme) i found a book thinking they would have an exotic name !!!!!!! but no just a magpie (i still love the sound of them though)

Guest sarahsmartiepants

They are magpies, my mum was disapointed when she saw what they looked like she said you hear them on "neighbours" and she was expecting some kind of exotic bird!:biglaugh:

Guest Guest75
    Women :chatterbox:

:wideeyed:

:biglaugh:

I was going to say Mavis and Reylene!!!

Guest panther
    what are those annoying squarking birds you hear here in the morning called?

Could be many different species describe the colour and i may be able to assist you as at the moment all the Gum trees are in flower in our area and it could be small parrots who just love the nector and make a lot of noise especially in large flocks. or as other posts have said it could be a family of magpies,(very Large Black and white Birds) or a murder of Crows all black they have a distictive sound.

Panther

Short Term Accomodation in Marino with Sea Views

oh i thought they would be called something more interesting. Its for a story im writing, as its set in aus i thought id best make it accurate. The name of those clanger sounding birds would be interesting too me too. :biglaugh:

I think you mean the sulfur crested cockatoos - they are making a right din lately! But I love em!

Magpies are the ones that make clanger noises, magpie larks are the ones that make a high pitched eeeeeeek noise that goes right through your eardrums, Corellas are the noisy white ones, bit smaller than the sulfur crested cockatoos, who sound like they have sore throats - and neither of the latter know that birds are supposed to shut up when it's dark! There is also an owl that sounds like a cuckoo - think it's the Booboo Owl or something like that! Bit wierd hearing a "cuckoo" at night for sure!

Just got some lovely fairy wrens outside my window at the moment - they are bright blue for some seasons of the year (spring and sumemr I think) but fade to a brown with slightly blue tail this time of year. Really cute though.

Guest sandar1

We have an Australian bird book which I keep in a handy place and we put a post it note on the page each time we see it, fun for the kids and for you especially if you each have a different colour post it, you know the thin ones. Boy am I getting nerdy

Yes,they are Magpies,but look more like pied Rooks.Still,the nicest song ive heard here is that of the imported Blackbird,that reminds me of our lovely English spring time.

But apparently the imported blackbirds are a menace and kill a lot of the native birds....even if they do sound nice!

Don't forget the galahs, and also the crested pigeons (I think) that look like they are wearing little centurion helmets and their wings squeak and creak as they fly! The green parrotty things (sorry, not sure of the technical term for them) sound like mice when they fly over - my sister calls them sptifires as they swoop past so fast... Then there are the wattle birds and the miner birds.... they're the ones that terrorise my cat!

The green parrotty things (sorry, not sure of the technical term for them) sound like mice when they fly over - my sister calls them sptifires as they swoop past so fast...

Rainbow Lorikeets. :D