Guest Andrew&Ren

Help Ladies im a shopaholic!!!!

Guest Andrew&Ren

Hey ladies on PIA!!!

We are only 4 weeks away from our big move and something crossed my mind....

What is it like for shopping in Adelaide??

Are there vintage/second hand shops? Big brands? Tk Max style outlets??

Also what is ebay like in Aus??

I :oLLLOOOOOVVVEEEEE clothes,shoes,bags.....

Hope likewise females can help me!!! :wubclub:

Guest Rob and Clare
    Hey ladies on PIA!!!

We are only 4 weeks away from our big move and something crossed my mind....

What is it like for shopping in Adelaide??

Are there vintage/second hand shops? Big brands? Tk Max style outlets??

Also what is ebay like in Aus??

I :oLLLOOOOOVVVEEEEE clothes,shoes,bags.....

Hope likewise females can help me!!! :wubclub:

I'm not sure if I'm bringing bad news or not, but fashion brands are not something ranked highly on Adelaidians agenda, it's a large country town in more ways than one, and if people can buy thongs (flip flops), singlets and board shorts, and men can grow rats tails or beards then they are happy.. That's not to say everyone is like that but certainly a good portion.

That said in David Jones in the city you can get some major brands, Guess, Ted Baker, Armani, CK, Ralph Lauren etc.... and we have an FCUK shop too in the city, Myer offers some brands but generally not as much as David Jones, so all is not lost..

If you don't want to spend much on shoes then there are some cheap, decent shoe shops, Novo, Rubi... These do quite trendy shoes but as they aren't leather they are quite cheap, but they will still last the fashion season, meaning you can get your fill of shoes without breaking the bank.

There is an outlet village near the airport, but it is 99% based on Aussie High Street Stores, which aren't bad, but aren't great. Outlet shopping in Brisbane and Melbourne certainly offer a much greater range and have some International Brands.

There's also nothing really like TK max, but during the sales you can get a pair of Guess jeans for $100, so it's not that expensive.

Not so sure about Ebay, many sellers ship worldwide so you may not see much of a difference, but Australians haven't quite caught up with the internet shopping bug yet, but it's getting there.

Not sure if I've helped or put you off.

Guest sandar1

No nothing like TJ or TK Max. Australians do dress I think differently to the POMs and Yanks, you can get some fantastic buys at the moment. There's a fantastic little store on Unley Road called Rong 888 and it is next door to a fantastic vintage retro store called Dress Ups at 62 Unley Road (I think its fantastic because I own it) but it has been around for over 24 years at the Adelaide market and has just moved to the one location at Unley. Red Ruby vintage is also very good in Peel Street in the city lady who owns it Gale is lovely. Also Urban baby in Twin Street, and Get Funked on Port Road. Happy shopping

Sandra

Guest sandar1

Forgot to mention that I do run bus tours of op shops and vintage shops about once a month if anyone is interested let me know.

Sandra

Guest Roo1

Regarding Ebay, I still shop on EbayUk as even with the postage I'm still getting a bargain and able to get all my fav brands from the UK.

IMO EbayAU I find expensive. Prices are high for 2nd hand stuff and postage is hyped up too.

I'm currently buying up baby clothes/items from EbayUK. 6 items for 7 quid (thats including postage) BARGAIN! :notworthy:

If anyone on here has a bundle of newborn boys clothes/items they want to sell.....send me a PM! :wubclub:

Judi x

Guest sandar1

This for me is a really interesting post, as I have, and do bring in clothes from overseas, and as one other poster said the name brands mean not a lot here, I have bought in some great clothes (designer labels) and they have not moved at all. Ebay Aus I agree is expensive and I get girls coming into me on a daily basis wanting to sell clothes (vintage) they have bought on the net and upon receiving the same they don't fit, vintage is hard to buy without trying, our body shapes are so different now to what they were 50 odd years ago. Mums back then had us all wearing chastity belts (girdles) and I truly believe that like the little feet of the Japanese ladies they molded our bodies. This along with the food we eat filled with hormones, and just a wealthier society. I had a little girl into the shop recently who had breasts at the age of 8, and most teenagers now the hats and gloves don't fit because generally they are much bigger. Interestingly, the people who come in looking and buy designer are asian and african, and snap up the clothes and bags when they find them. Also people from interstate buy up big, I have many shops from interstate come in and buy up to sell over there. Anyway guys that's your shopping lesson for the day, have a wonderful and safe easter,

Sandra D

Guest Devon

Hi there

I love Myer ;) - it tends to do more of the Aussie big brands like Review and Cue (great clothes) Wayne Cooper etc. A lot of the time they have great offers on as well like 30% off etc which really helps on the price. They tend to do less of the other brands as they are more aussie orientated - although their brands of jewellery and shoes are bigger on brands. Also depends which branch you go to ie Noarlunga has less of the brands than Marion and Marion has less than the city.

Guest Emu

Hi, you have shops like Target (similar to Primark but without the mess), David Jones is very good with imported brands including cosmetics from EU. Then Marion Shopping Center is quite big with lots of fashion brands. There are lots of op shops/salvos (charity shops) where you can always find something different. The vintage store in Peel Street is very good and as Sandra said, the lady is very friendly. Have to also check out Sandra's shop.

There is a market in Gilles st, they called it the Adelaide Nothing Hill, but it's a bit disapointing if you have been to Nothing Hill, it's quite small and not a lot of space to move around. But saying that it does have some quirky stalls. Then you also have Rundle street market (after Rundle Mall), its quite a cool street with lots of nice cafes, restaurants, arthouse cinema and shops.

If you have serious shopping withdrawls you can always hop on a plane to Singapore, its shoppers paradise and only about 6h flight. You find most the brands from EU, some American, Japanese etc. Plus you can soak up on the culture, markets, etc.

I have bought a few bits on Ebay and Etsy. Ebay so far found it to be quite good and that diferent from the UK. Check out Etsy as well for vintage and handmade goodies.

Considering buying stuff from the UK, some brands are cheaper even with 20 dollars postage on top.

I was used to shopping in London so yes Adelaide is very diferent but it also as some quirky shops.

Hope this helps.

Guest Andrew&Ren

Wow guys thank you sooooo much for this info!

I think ill survive xxxx

Regarding Ebay, I still shop on EbayUk as even with the postage I'm still getting a bargain and able to get all my fav brands from the UK.

IMO EbayAU I find expensive. Prices are high for 2nd hand stuff and postage is hyped up too.

I'm currently buying up baby clothes/items from EbayUK. 6 items for 7 quid (thats including postage) BARGAIN! :notworthy:

If anyone on here has a bundle of newborn boys clothes/items they want to sell.....send me a PM! :wubclub:

Judi x

Totally agree with Judi...i buy things from ebayuk as well, and often find with postage it still works out at a good price.

I also find EbayAu expensive for 2nd hand stuff.....

Guest The Pottertons

Hi, im a bit like you myself and did suss out what was available when on our reccie!!!! They have a nine west and french connection in the city and a few shops that would be our equivalent of river island. But if you like surfy makes like o neill and quiksilver they do some lovely stuff- i bought quite a few bikinis to bring home. im going to try to stock up on cheapy vest tops and shorts etc from here before we leave as although you can get them the quality isnt as good and the prices are quite often higher! They have a body shop and a lush aswell. Good luck and hope it all goes fab!!! Yvonne x

Guest Andrew&Ren

Aw thats great..im looking forward to discovering new brands and shops but its nice knowing they have a french connection as i LOVE it!!!!

You know what its like gals i just love a good shop :)

Yes,as said earlier,clothes and designer stuff are not as highly regarded as in the UK.No TK Maxx,Next etc,but a massive variety in style,quality and price.Something for everyone if you look.The OP shops are amazing,where nestling in a rack of sale items for 4 dollars or so,you may find high class attire from Armani,Hugo Boss,Wallis,Donna Karen and all that other quality stuff,in immaculate condition.Its good here,dont worry.ATB Billy.

Guest Andrew&Ren

Thanks everyone.....Ive had a good clearout, charity shopped some stuff, done a bootsale and made some cash on ebay too!!!

Thanks againxxxxx

Guest Emu

Hi, I checked out Sandra's shop in Unley road, I had a peek through the window (shop was closed) and is worth a visit. The shop itself is an old cool building and the stock inside seems amazing! Really amazing vintage. Will go back.

Guest sandar1

Ooo sorry Jelts I spend Monday's out restocking picked a few great pieces this weekend, send me an email scampwishford@yahoo.com.au and I can arrange an appointment if you wish. I am usually there most days from 11.30 to 4.30.

Can you imagine what a shopaholic I am, that is all I ever do, no matter where I am in any place in the world. Fortunately, Adam my son is as bad, and he's over in the states at the moment doing the same, and enjoying the Californian sun.

If any of you out there are donating clothing etcetera, I'm going to give a little boost to my personal favorite charity which is St. John's youth, they help and support the homeless youth of Adelaide (they have an op shop at St. John's church on Halifax Street on Saturday's) great place for you all to pick up a bargain and if you have things to donate you can drop them off there too (there's a bin outside all the time). Adam and I have worked with several of these kids over the years, helping them with clothing, hair and makeup and interviewing and resume skills, they are great and many of them come from terrible situations and just want a chance. If you call in at St. John's please tell them that Sandra told you about it.

That part of town is lovely too right on the edge of Victoria Park Racecourse, so if you have a doggy its a great place to let it off the lead to have a heck of a good run. There's also a bar b q area, and a patonk pitch (think that's how you spell it), we often go there after church to catch up.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing any of you that want to stop by for a cuppa.

Sandra

Guest sandar1

Oops, sorry meant Emu too early for me today. What does JELTS mean can anyone explain.:chatterbox:

Guest Andrew&Ren

I will defo be on for that cuppa and a good mooch around the shop!!! :)