Sign in to follow this  
Guest hel&sam

adelaide / melbourne

Guest hel&sam

anyone got any opinions of melbourne good or bad. as the job situation seems to be taking a downturn i thought i might investigate melbourne areas just to keep my options open, where to start??? getting a bit stressed now, need to make the right decision because i cant face uprooting the kids again if i land in the wrong place, got to get it right first time or i'm buggered really. any advice or experiences would be helpful i think to start with.

Helen.

x

Guest Django

Melbourne???? :shocked: For one moment there I thought you said you were considering going to that big smelly, crowded place in Victoria where they love sitting in traffic jams. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Pete

Guest sandar1

It is bigger and the traffic can be bad (but its horrible here at times also), anything is worth checking out, probably the job opportunities would be greater there, general rule of thumb I would think is to check the job vacancies in Melbourne and Adelaide papers for the weekend and see how many positions are available for your profession. If you come from a larger city you may find you prefer it there, but if you are from a smaller place Adelaide is great too. Prices of real estate in Melbourne tend to be quite a bit higher, also a point that needs to be taken into account. I am sure you will make the right decision, just do your homework.

All the best.

Guest hel&sam

hmmm i think i made the right decision in the first place with adelaide, l want peace, space dont like crowds or traffic on a daily basis, just a bit nervous about work i think. plenty of time to get stressed and who knows by the time i've sold this sodding house the global economy will be booming again, alternatively i'll have won the lottery and it wont matter. hey you never know!!

Guest Guest75

My personal view only.......................

We've visited Melbourne several times,seen the centre and suburbs - nice to return HOME Adelaide.:notworthy::notworthy:

It is all about quality of life for us.

Mrs Tyke once lived in Melbourne for 4 years - loved Adelaide though.

The global downturn will hit everywhere and every city to an extent.

Guest TC for short

We lived there for our first six months in Oz. Absolutely loved the place. Yes, it's busier & has more traffic, and we were living in Docklands & driving out to the airport every day for work so you could argue that we were going in the opposite direction to most people. However, traffic is much less than any comparable UK city, plus the comprehensive public transport network makes things a lot easier.

Melbourne is a LOT more vibrant than Adelaide. Nightlife & eating out are superb, as is the shopping. Much better use is made of the Yarra River than the Torrens here, although I suspect that the flow into the Yarra is correspondingly better.

Obviously the city is a lot bigger in terms of square miles, and this means that it can take longer to get away from it all. However once you clear suburbia there are plenty of places to go - the Mornington peninsular, the Dandenongs (great steam train ride!), the Great Ocean Road and of course the Yarra Valley. French Champagne house Moet et Chandon have a vineyard just outside Healesville (operating under the name "Chandon") with some truly superb wines at very good prices. You can also ski about 1 1/2 hrs drive from the CBD (in winter, obviously!), although much better skiing is to be had if you drive a bit further (3-4hrs).

The biggest downside is cost of living. Houses are more expensive than here, although given the transport system you could probably make much of that back by having one car instead of two. Also, towns like Gisburn (to the north of Melbourne airport) and Point Cook (to the west of the CBD) are growing both in size and popularity because of the good train links with the CBD.

I would strongly encourage you to go & have a look, & keep an open mind.

TC

Guest SA Great

Great post TC, very informative. Personally I don't like Melbourne, it reminds me of London, but everything TC said is spot on.

Guest Rob and Clare

Melbourne is a great place, everything TC said is pretty much spot on, we love the stadiums there going to watch Football, Rugby (England are coming next year), AFL and cricket. Much greater choice of flights and operators. The beaches after a short drive are world class, but also very classy sound the SE coast, It is supposed to be the shopping capital of Australia and the average house price in Melbourne is only $40K - $50K more than here. We found a shop there that was like a mini Sainsbury selling all things british including Persil Liquid tabs.

I don't understand the crowding comments, I think Melbourne is the most uncrowded major city in the world statistically, this also means it sprawls on for a long time, which then begs the question where to live, without choosing wisely you could have a very long commute, at the same time though they have a better road system than here and it's possible to drive somewhere without sitting in 100's of traffic lights.

In fact the only reason we didn't go to Melbourne is the weather, it is considerably cooler than here, we went to Melbourne for Adelaide cup weekend (early march) and we needed jackets during the day.

It's certainly worth investigating though.