Help with likely earnings for office manager

Guest team rennolds

Guest team rennolds

Hi All

Myself and my other half are just about to apply to SA Govt for sponsored visa as an Office Manager.

I am trying to get all the research together for our application, and in terms of employment am struggling to get anyone to help me with suitable/suggested employment opportunities when we get there including info like job title, possible earnings etc. This is vital in our research section!!

I have emailed around 10 recruitment consultants but have received nothing back from them. Does anyone know of any good agencies who would be helpful in this instance? I have been in touch with some of the big international recuitment consultants like Hays & Manpower who have not helped in any way. I have found this rather strange as the SA Govt obviously think there is a shortage of Office Managers and have put it on the wanted skills list.

Is there any other info we need to put on our research application apart from this & housing etc. Apart from the fact that Adelaide looks great of course. We are thinking of around Noarlunga so we can get into the city quickly but still have the work / life balance that we want - beaches & parks etc.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark & Clodagh

Guest Libby1971

If you read back through other past threads on the employment section of this site, you will see that many people who have got state sponsored visas have found it difficult to gain employment here. In many instances it is a case of there are wanted skills but not in the metro areas. If you are prepared to go into the country there are more vacancies there but no-one wants to go into the back of beyond.

The recession is hitting here as well and agencies may well be reluctant to give information that you might try to hold them to later. Have you tried www.seek.com.au or www.careerone.com.au which contain most jobs. I am not sure if they connect to the same site but it is worth a click if nothing else.

Good luck

Guest team rennolds

Thanks for that posting. Might explain why recruitment consultants not being helpful!!!

I'll try those websites now, I also have over 10 years experience in retail management. Is that situation any better in Adelaide?

Mark

Guest Libby1971

Not really. I would love to be more encouraging but honestly I can't be. I admit I am not sure about your areas as they are not mine but I do know that people are losing their jobs and there is a lot of uncertainty. The govt tried a stimulus package in the hope that people would spend money but I don't think that it will be the case but more likely people will save as there is little job security

Guest Jo&Phil

Depends on the industry I think. Public service 'office manager' roles tend to get between AU$50,000 and $AU58,000 as a (very) broad guideline.

Your dollar may buy you more than your pound in some areas but not in others so doing a conversion using exchange rate may not be the ideal way to quantify the value of the Australian salary in direct comparision to a UK one

Good luck with the research

Hi....there's a couple on seek..earning around $45-55K

www.seek.com.au

Personally I am very sceptical of the governments 'wanted list'.....People are losing their jobs everyday over here in trades/professions that are on this list...

Doesnt make sense to me at all....why bring more people over when there are not enough jobs around for the people who are here!!!

Maybe, they are needed in the outback etc....

Personally, if you are in a secure job in the UK.....IMO.... stay put...

Guest team rennolds

Thanks for the websites all. Found some office manager positions in Adelaide which helps a lot with th research.

In terms of recession it sounds just like the uk (and rest of developed world) in terms of some jobs being at risk, depends on the company you work for I suppose.

More people means more money coming in so can only have a positive impact, especially if they are wanting to work hard & start a new life and make a difference to their new home!! I'm sure once we get there we'll find some suitable jobs.

Thank you all again

Mark

Guest familygood

We got our visa granted for Office Manager recently. When we applied for state sponsorship we had researched everyday for 3 months and included all job details that we had seen in that time (on a spreadsheet and averaged that information). On average we found the salary to be approx £50k but they varied considerably. You might want to look at the market for a period of time as they will be expecting that as part of your application. We also researched other jobs main applicant could do and jobs for second applicant over that time period as well as rentals. We wrote to over 30 agencies and got very little response but include any that you do.

Hope this helps!

Guest team rennolds

Thanks, and congratulations on getting your visa granted.

Is there any job sites in particular you would recommend for watching the jobs on? I will definately start logging the jobs seen & their salary's.

When do you envisage moving out? You must be so excited!!

Mark

Guest familygood

We use/d seek,com.au and careerone.com.au and put in a job search under office manager which then get delivered to your inbox daily with similar job titles. We also did one for general admin and one for general manager which also gave some options for things like admin manager etc which were still relevant.

We are going out next Jan and yes very excited about it all. Its such a long process to get through so wish you all the best and if you need any more help you know where we are! We didnt use a migration company so should have the answers - maybe!!