Guest harper210267

Special Educationa Needs

Guest harper210267

We are hoping to relocate next year and I am just tying to research the eduction system but thought first hand experience can help also.

My 14 year old son has dyslexia and is on the autistic spectrum (midly) and currently has a statement for educational support.

He is doing very well and has good grades however when we relocate to Adelaide, will my son recieve support from the schools?

My eldest son is taking his GCSEs and has a place at a very 6th form college. How difficult will it be for him to get into a college to complete his Alevels, when we arrive?

All information gratefully recieved.:notworthy:

We dont have 6th form colleges here. Kids stay at high school until they take their public exams at the end of yr 12.These exams ( and not all subjects have actual exams) give a score for university entrance. There are two private colleges which would be similar to the college system in the UK. These are University Senior College and Eyensbury College which also takes yr 10s. However they are private so you have to pay fees.

For your 14 yo you would have to bring all the paperwork, there is support within the public system for children with special needs. My friend's son has asbergers and they were happy with the support he received at his high school. I guess the thing is to tour the schools and see what they can offer your son. Most schools have special ed provisions in place.

Guest harper210267

Thanks for that.

So really, I suppose that being there until you're in Yr12, can be the same as 6th form and anything after that can be classed as a college or university?

If it's 12 months before we relocate, he would have done 12 months at 6th form college, which means he would have done Yr 12 - am I right in assuming that this is the same as our Yr 12?

So then our problem would be to find a college or uni.

I did look on the Eisnbury website, which looked great for our son but we will need to have a think, especially about fees...:o

Our yr 12 is the final year of school, after that kids who want further education or training go to TAFE (more practical training like mechanics, hairdressing, childcare) or apply to uni to do the traditional degrees. Our yr 11 and 12 is like your yr 12 and 13. Yr 11 work is the foundation of yr 12, but there are no public exams at this level. You do have to attain certain levels at yr 11 though to move onto yr 12. It is also possible to transfer to TAFE courses after yr 11. The school leaving age here is 16, which means most kids do yr 11.

University Senior College is good also, they are onsite at Adelaide Uni and use the facilities there.