Sign in to follow this  
Guest raahulraana

Recent work experience requirement ? Help needed

Guest raahulraana

Hi

My nominated occupation is zoologist (got positive assessment from vetassess) and i have 2 years of experience as a full time secondary school biology (zoology + botany) teacher (after completing my B.Ed.). Both occupations are on sol. Please let me know do i meet recent work experience requirement. Or i have to get my skills assessed as a teacher also. If anyone has faced the same problem, it would be an advantage for me to here from him/her. Please help me out.

Thanx

Raahul

Guest Libby1971

Hi

When did you do the 2 years teaching after your degree? If that is in the last 2 years, then you meet the requirements. As for teaching, you'll need to get your skills assessed anyway of you intend to work as one when you get get here at least twice

Guest raahulraana

Thanx Libby 1971

Well m working since last 2 years. Do i need to get my skills assessed as a teacher before my visa application, i already got positive assessment as a zoologist, is not that enough.

Regards

Raahul

Guest Libby1971

I am not too sure, it depends what points you need. If you have enough as a zoologist, stick with that. When you get here, if you intend to work as a teacher, you'll need to have your teaching quals assessed by the Teacher Registration Board which is independent of the immig dept anyway. Once you've got that sorted, you'll need to register with DECS who again will assess your quals.

Guest Denise Casey

Hi Raahul,

In regards to the skilled visa requirements you need to have 12 months for the last 2 years in your nominated occupation. It follows from this that you have to assess your qualifications in the occupation you have recently.

If you work as a teacher my advice would be to apply for a skills assessment with Teaching Australia and apply for permanent residency through this occupation.

Regards,

Denise

Guest tonyree

As what Libby said you do not need to have another skills assessment for teaching provided you have enough points. if you have been working as a zoologist, you would get 10 points for specific work exprience but in your case you will get 5 points because you were not working in your specific area but you were doing skilled work.

Your only problem will be when you want to register as a teacher in Australia but you will cross that bridge later.

Guest Libby1971

Re Tony, the assessment you will need to face in Aus is for your teaching not a skills assessment. You already has enough points to meet the visa requirements but when here, you will need to have another assessment done of your qualifications by the Teacher Registration Board in order to gain a certificate which will allow you to teach. Without this document, you cannot get any kind of teaching role.

Guest Rangel
    Re Tony, the assessment you will need to face in Aus is for your teaching not a skills assessment. You already has enough points to meet the visa requirements but when here, you will need to have another assessment done of your qualifications by the Teacher Registration Board in order to gain a certificate which will allow you to teach. Without this document, you cannot get any kind of teaching role.

Yep, is the same in my case. I'm a Librarian. So I'll have to apply for Vetasses, but to work I'll have to apply for ALIA (Australian Library and Information Association), as the employers will demand the recognition by the profession regulator office.

The good thing is that you can apply before arriving in australia.