Guest alan smallman

We Are Here!!!

Guest alan smallman

Haven't been on rcenetly coz events overtook us. We had the movers in (and out) and before we knew it we were having our leaving do (which was a very tearful affair) and then on a plane jettin over here via an 8hr stopover in HK. So here we are into our second week residing in temp accommodation in Dress Circle apartments. These are very nice (in Childers Street NA). Have done all the usual bits (TFN, Immigration for passport stickers etc), been to see our new employers (memorial hospital) and also bought a car (from an ex-brit called Mick at Brighton Cars (it's a Daewoo Nubira and very sporty-looking so our 19yr old likes it a lot and will probably inherit it when we settle down wnough to start looking at our lesiure for a nicer one). Just gonna start scouting around for insuance deals. Any ideas where or whom we should contact? (Gonna get a copy of the white pages from a telstra shop so we can scan the list of insurers in there maybe. Not totally pleased with Virgin mobile people. Has anyone got any better suggestions as to who I can go with for cheap calls? I am pay as you go an I am holding off any regular payments to a phone company for now as we want to start earning our first paypackets first before we commit to any regular payments. So your feedback would be greatly appreciated here as usual. Sorry for the lengthy thread by-the-way there's so much to do and I'm in Adelaide Library at the mo and I haven't booked the computer!! Does anyone know where we can get hold of any blow-up beds (we had to take ours out of our suitcases as our luggage was a little bit over. Oh, that's aanother thing we have done - we've applied to rent a property in Somerton ans (hopefully we should know within the next couple of days if we have secured it for the next 12 months or so). We even had to remove our sleeping bags (as we anticipated that we would need temp bedding/sleeping bits and pieces. Sooooooooooooooo it's all systems go here. The days are just flying by. Have a great tan already but I really must get a hat!! Oh, and we've joined the commonwealth bank (thanks to everyone whowho recommended that organisation). Gott a go now as I'm being kicked off!!

Guest caoimhe

Budget car insurance is cheap, I only found this out after payin Allianz $300 more:err:

Optus prepay is good, put $30 in a month and get $180 worth of calls and texts, just make sure you top up before the month is up or you lose what credit is in it.

Good luck

Guest Aussie pat

We have 4 Optus pay as you go phones, same as above, and have no complaints. We have used Ian Berry Insurance Brokers. They are now owned by the police credit union. I recently had to make a claim as a woman drove up the back of my car whilst I was waiting at some lights. Everything went really smoothly and we are happy to recommend them. Goodluck and hope you enjoy your new jobs.

Guest kangomik

Rays out doors should help for the other stuff..... and BIG W

Guest cazzie

Hello Alan,

Welcome to Adelaide. Hope you get sorted out real soon.

Guest alan smallman

Hi Andy

Thank you very much. Looking forward to meeting you in the future. Thanks for all your previous advice!!

pauline & alan

Guest alan smallman

Thanks Cazzie

Just returned back from the last day of the IKEA sale having bought some cut-price paltes cutlery etc. getting our car next week and will go with Ian Berry (thanks for all the advice guys). Will start to look for a fridge/freezer very soon. Have just secured a long-term renatl in Somerton Park!!!! How cool is that only minutes from the old beach!! Can't wait for the bikes to come (that's if some Somalian Pirates haven't hijacked them in the meantime LOL).

Cheers Darlin'

Alan & pauline

Guest Aussie pat

Somerton Park is a lovely area to live. I'm also working in the health sector (nurse). I'm paid much better than in the UK and can afford to live in a nice area rather than being in a group of workers identified as needing government assistance! I hope you really enjoy it.

Guest alan smallman

Thanks for your reply. Its cheering to know that other people feel the same about having worked in the UK as a nurse. Think we are going thru the jitters a little since we haven't started work and we are worried that we are not going to know enough. Having sadi that we all met for a coffee last week and our managers are lovely (we met them last year when we interviewed for the jobs). We're gonna get there. Already our lad has some really nice Aussie mates and is always out with them. we only met one of them as she served us a beer in a local bar!! and it's gone on from there for him so at least he's settling in which was a worry for us. Cheers

Alan & pauline

Guest Roo1

Welcome to Adelaide, Alan and family!!!!

At last you are here and sounds like you've got yourself sorted.

Good on ya! ;)

Judi x

Guest alan smallman

yeah Cheers Jude!

We finally got here. Now we are looking for fridges and have had to scroung a couple of blow-up beds for when we move out the rental (we had packed sleeping bags and beds along with pump but had to take them out at heathrow due to weight restrictions arrrrrgh!!). Foned Jonny when we got here and he sorted us out a car, but due to whatever reason he left us in the lurch a little after we returned it - said he couldn't drop us back as he was waiting for other vehicles to be returned). But other than that we seem to be getting on OK. I thing this site has helped and people like yourselves who always seem to be on hand (yerself, Tyke, Orreljet, Ossiecalre- hope things work out for you Claire back in UK -, sarahsmartiepants, andy williams ans loads of others!!) offering advice.

So thanks again jude

Will speak to you soon!!

Alan & pauline XX

yeah Cheers Jude!

We finally got here. Now we are looking for fridges and have had to scroung a couple of blow-up beds for when we move out the rental (we had packed sleeping bags and beds along with pump but had to take them out at heathrow due to weight restrictions arrrrrgh!!). Foned Jonny when we got here and he sorted us out a car, but due to whatever reason he left us in the lurch a little after we returned it - said he couldn't drop us back as he was waiting for other vehicles to be returned). But other than that we seem to be getting on OK. I thing this site has helped and people like yourselves who always seem to be on hand (yerself, Tyke, Orreljet, Ossiecalre- hope things work out for you Claire back in UK -, sarahsmartiepants, andy williams ans loads of others!!) offering advice.

So thanks again jude

Will speak to you soon!!

Alan & pauline XX

no worries pm'ed you xx