Trevali

Car insurance - no claims bonus

Hi all,

Any advice please regarding insuring a car in Australia. When you buy a car in Australia and you then insure it, do you have to build your no claims bonus up from scratch or can you provide proof from your previous insurer in the U.K. of your no claims discount?

Is insuring a car more expensive in Australia than the U.K. or is it comparible?

Thanks

Alison x

Guest spannaelephant

Hi,

When I asked the question myself, the general reply was you can put down your no claims when getting insurance, and will probably have to provide proof when a claim is made.

My husband took out insurance under his name for both our cars as i had just made a claim in the uk after someone hit my car in a car park so therefore had no no-claims and will be a named driver for a while. We have bought a Discovery and a Grand Cherokee, both costing around $700. He only has 2 years no-claims as we were overseas before in Malaysia/US and the UK wouldn't recognise his previous years of no-claims................check out this website for a general quote, it might help answer ur question........www.allianz.com.au

Anna

Guest Guest75

Just bring your insurance docs with you,if you have full no claims bonus you will receive rating 1 here.

Your car tax (rego) includes 3rd party insurance but I'd go fully comp anyday.:)

Guest ben&sharon
    Just bring your insurance docs with you,if you have full no claims bonus you will receive rating 1 here.

Your car tax (rego) includes 3rd party insurance but I'd go fully comp anyday.:)

Sorry for my complete ignorance, but what does rating 1 mean? We both have full no-claims; I was considering using mine up to fix my car before sale, but I won't if it's useful for the insurance - the difference it will make to the value of my car is negligible compared to the difference it might make to my insurance costs......

Guest Maria Day

HI,

Just arrived here in Adelaide. We are looking at buying a car. I believe rego covers 3rd party and fully comp is not a must. So what happens if someone hit your car and they don't have an insurance? Does it mean you will to use your own insurance to cover the cost? Thanks.

Maria.

The insurance with your rego will only cover a claim if someone is injured will not cover any damage to cars.If someone hits you and they dont have Insurance you or your Insurance company will have to chase them up for the cost of repairs to your car.Can be a long drawn out process