What is the minimum wage in South Australia?

Guest Emu

Hello all,

I was wondering if anybody knows what is the minimum wage in South Australia?

Been here almost 2 months and still no job so I am considering to take some low paid job, but need to get an idea of what is the pay so I can see if I can survive on it.

Thanks in advance.

I guess it's more then the UK, is just to low compared to what I used to earn but I guess if I don't get anything else have to go temping or something like that.

Guest caoimhe
I guess it's more then the UK, is just to low compared to what I used to earn but I guess if I don't get anything else have to go temping or something like that.

My husband is in IT for 10 years and he just started working here 2 months ago, in the last 10 years he has never earned so little. We are really struggling fanancially as we have 4 kids and on a temp visa so get no centrelink but we hope things will improve the longer we are here. I guess it boils down to how much you are prepared to work for, for us it was a case of any money was better than none and stops us eating into the saving. IMHO when you immigrate anywhere you need to be prepared to do any job for any money just to establish yourselves...I know it's not ideal but is it not better to get some money coming in while waiting on the ideal job

I know you right Jacqueline, we already used up most of our savings which is really scary. My husband's job was on the list so we assumed it would be easier and quick to get a job. Guess we were wrong. Sorry a bit down at the moment. We also on a Temp visa, which means that you don't get support, can't apply for goverment jobs (there seems to be loads of them) and if I want to study I'm seen as an international student, which means huge fees. So I have to be patient and wait.

Found this guide on the net - SALARY SURVEY 2008 - if anybody interested.

http://www.hays.com.au/salary/default.aspx

Guest caoimhe
I know you right Jacqueline, we already used up most of our savings which is really scary. My husband's job was on the list so we assumed it would be easier and quick to get a job. Guess we were wrong. Sorry a bit down at the moment. We also on a Temp visa, which means that you don't get support, can't apply for goverment jobs (there seems to be loads of them) and if I want to study I'm seen as an international student, which means huge fees. So I have to be patient and wait.

Unforunately being on the list means b****y nothing:arghh:I know what the worry is like, I was terrified that we would have to go home as my O/H didn't find work for 3 months. I am a qualified Accounting Technican but am currently working in a picture framing company as a matt cutter :goofy: but it's money. Please don't think I was putting you down but get any job doing anything and get some money coming in, that way the pressure is off for a while and you can concentrate on getting the right job.

Good luck :wubclub:

Hi

I know that it doesn't help much but with a little time things should fall into place.

There's some really good advice here...get a job, any job, any pay rate as it's so much easier to get another job when you already have already worked in Oz. On the brighter side...you may earn more than the minimum wages. My husband struggled to find work but has been working for a hardware store for the past 3 months. They pay $21,80 per hour on a casual rate. Friends of ours who arrived last May took nearly 4 months to find work. They are both now working and really good jobs too...having a house built in Seaford etc. There are tears and doubts, there are questions about whether it was the right move, issues with self confidence after applications get you nowhere near a job. It's not really fair to say that it's normal but there are many of us here who have been in the same situation as you are in. Hang in there. I know what you are going through. Be prepared to take any job...tell yourself it's not forever.

I hope that things turn around for you soon. This is a brilliant networking site for people in the same situation and people who have moved through the same situation that you are in. Maybe there's a job contact that you can get from friends on this site or people that you have met? Let us know how it goes....

Guest Howards Family

Been Here Two years now, Thinking of moving cant seem to earn any money, any time we do get extra, it goes on bills. South Australia sucks for pay. east coast here I come..

Guest countdown1975
Unforunately being on the list means b****y nothing:arghh:I know what the worry is like, I was terrified that we would have to go home as my O/H didn't find work for 3 months. I am a qualified Accounting Technican but am currently working in a picture framing company as a matt cutter :goofy: but it's money. Please don't think I was putting you down but get any job doing anything and get some money coming in, that way the pressure is off for a while and you can concentrate on getting the right job.

Good luck :wubclub:

Hi,

That has worried me slightly now as I work in Accounts payable and I have been looking on lots of various sites and thought there was a fair bit of work in that area. I have also worked in retail but not for over 13 years. Do you think I will struggle to find jobs now then? Bit scary as I have never been out of work before :-(

Thanks Vicki :-)

Been Here Two years now, Thinking of moving cant seem to earn any money, any time we do get extra, it goes on bills. South Australia sucks for pay. east coast here I come..

Regarding the comment above, we have started to think if it would be a good idea to move once we get residency, when we do a job search there are so many jobs in Sydney and Melbourne. When I do a search for Adelaide in my area of work, there are hardly any positions ...

Thanks everybody for the comments, when people back in the UK ask me how I'm doing and I say I'm worried I don't have a job, they tell me that I'm living the dream ... The thing is, life here is not like I imagined it, at least not yet!

Have a nice weekend. :jimlad:

Guest The Pickles

Can't apply for Government jobs on a 475 Visa? That's really worrying as most of the jobs my OH is really interested in are on the government website... what is the bloody point in being State Sponsored if you're limited on jobs you can apply for? This has got me concerned, more concerned than I was before... oh lordy.

Marilyn x

Guest caoimhe
Hi,

That has worried me slightly now as I work in Accounts payable and I have been looking on lots of various sites and thought there was a fair bit of work in that area. I have also worked in retail but not for over 13 years. Do you think I will struggle to find jobs now then? Bit scary as I have never been out of work before :-(

Thanks Vicki :-)

SAGE isn't used here so I am taking this time to learn MYOB and complete an Australian tax course. So the job I am in works around the kids school hours and gives me some money while I complete these courses. There does seem to be plenty of Accounts jobs here

Guest sandar1

Hey guys when you are looking for work, put into your posts what type of work you are after, I have posted on here a few times jobs that I have seen available, as far as I can tell, no one has applied to any of them. Here goes again, i know that Good Life Pizza Restaurant which is on Hutt Street, has a sign posted that they are looking for wait staff, it is a lovely small exclusive little restaurant, apparently they have more than one. Kenji Japanese (up market) restaurant is also looking for wait staff. I know a lot of you probably don't want to work in a pub, but boy bar work pays reeealy well here in Adelaide. Before jumping to Melbourne and Sydney, do a reccy trip, real estate is very expensive there, and although I too would like to live in Sydney between the cost of renting/buying and the amount of time you would have to commute to live the same type of lifestyle here is enormous. I've said it before and I will say it again, if you see a job listed anywhere or hear of one, why not post it on here for others to see. I helped a young Canadian girl last week to settle into town, and she had applications into 4 places within 24 hours and had a tryout at a restaurant within 48. So keep your resume up to date, and just let everyone and I mean everyone know that you are looking for work. Good luck to you all, I know how frustrating it can be, I couldn't get a job because I was considered over qualified for those I applied for, so I bought my own business, I realise this is not a solution for all, but I know many of the poms have ended up starting up themselves, especially those in the building trade.

Have a terrific weekend, and don't let the rain get you down, hopefully you'll all get work soon.

Sandra

Guest Emu

Hi Sandra, thanks for your post.

I work in Logistics and Supply Chain, in the UK I worked with some multinational companies. I went yesterday to that job fair at the Adelaide Showground, it was target at school kids but there were a few adults in between. I spoke with all the major companies there (K-mart, Target, Bridgestone, etc) and their Logistics operations tend to be out of state, in either Melbourne area (Geelong) or Perth. Aparently Perth is very big in terms of Logistics (I didn't know that).

I have considered starting my own business but to be honest I wouldn't know where to start plus we don't have cash. I would do it at the same time that I'm working so if it doesn't work is no big deal.

We will do a reccie to other cities just to see what it is like. I did hate that I had to comute over an hour in London to get to work, so wouldn't like to live in a city that it takes me ages to get to work.

Nice weekend to you all too. ;o)

Rang Imigration on the number quoted on the letter. They "think" we can apply for goverment jobs, but the lady didn't seem sure. She said is up to the employer. I guess we just have to apply for them then and see what happens.

Regarding studing, you seen as a international student, which means huge fees. Again the lady wasn't sure, put me on hold to confirm. Short courses, some of them you pay "normal" fees.

• 3 months later...
Guest lkaddoumi

Hello there

We are in the waiting list to get our visa (475) released.

How are you doing? Any luck with job? Is not going to be the first that we are expats (hate this word but I believe it is better than immigrants:) and we know how hard is to settle in a different country where you don’t know anything, no friends, no family, blab bla bla ....At the moment we are living in Dubai and believe me...you don’t want to be here. The most important thing is not to give up. If you think like that things will become worse and most likely you will convince yourself that you did a wrong move. Australia has lots of advantages when compared to other countries. At the end of the day there will always be some obstacles for you to go through but I believe that it is worth it.

Dear all,

I have applied for 475, I don't know that whether I will get a job or not as IT Trainer, Lecturer as currently I belong to Teaching in University working as faculty member and teaching unndergraduate students, so looking for alternatives but I am not sure whether I am able to persue those or not.

am i eligible to pursue Phd degree full time ?

Am I able to start any business ? what are the options ? how much money is required ?

You can study but I believe you get charged International student rates, which are quite high.

On the 475 you need to work full time for one year, but you can work say 5 months full time, dont work for a few months and then work another 7 months.