Surfing and golf

Guest back clan

Guest back clan

Hi,

My other half want to know if any of you blokes meet up for golf ( he is good at hitting roof tops. Hit the same one twice when we played in Perth). ;)

He also goes surfing has done in Brighton Uk since he was 14 and is 45 now. Anyone go surfing.

Think he's quite keen to meet up with some of you when we get here in Sept

Guest Libby1971

Yes some of the menfolk do go out and play golf. Some are more successful than others. Some, such as my dearly beloved, are more of an entertainer than a golfer although top marks for perseverance. One video went straight onto Youtube, it was hysterical.

Guest kangomik

Are the sharks big in Brighton?

Surfing scene tends to be down Gawler, or round the peninsula. It's often flat around the adelaide areas, sometimes like a dead calm.

Don't know about golf, but plenty seem to play it. Quite a few of the guys at work play stick ball, makes good monday morning convo.

Are the sharks big in Brighton?

Surfing scene tends to be down Gawler, or round the peninsula. It's often flat around the adelaide areas, sometimes like a dead calm.

Don't know about golf, but plenty seem to play it. Quite a few of the guys at work play stick ball, makes good monday morning convo.

I think you mean Goolwa as Gawler is well in land and not many waves there:wideeyed:

You can surf from around Adelaide at Glenelg near enough right round Brighton, Seaford, South Port, Moana, Knights, then at various places around the point such as Waitpinga, Parsons Beach (plus a a few other places) then round at Victor Harbor area, Middleton, Goolwa then further down. Theres great surf over on the wast side of Yorke Peninsular (good Holiday destination).

Around the Adelaide Metro areas good days will depend on weather where as down on the south coast get more consistent "fun" waves when its calmer. Depending on ability Waitpinga and Parsons have great waves but are well know for rips and sometimes dangerous conditions.

Lots of choices and some great beaches and surf clubs. You will certainly notice the difference from old Blighty, especially the south east as we came from just along the coast there in Hastings

As for the golf there are many of us on here who play and arrange get togethers and lots of good courses around.

hope this helps you get a feel of what about

Yes some of the menfolk do go out and play golf. Some are more successful than others. Some, such as my dearly beloved, are more of an entertainer than a golfer although top marks for perseverance. One video went straight onto Youtube, it was hysterical.

that it was . :biglaugh:it was like watching the film ''happy gilmore'' lolx

kath x

I would love to play golf, Ive been here 7 weeks and Im waiting for my WMD's to arive with our other stuff. Would love to play so keep posting if you dont get any offers, I would love to play. Theres a few nice courses, one in particular I really like the look of it is situated near the airport.

Richard 11-13 Hcap

Guest kangomik

That's it i have been put off surfing!!!!!!!!

the other week one of the kids was in the water as we walked down the jetty, a shadow came under the jetty heading straight for my daughter, thankfully a Dolphin in this case.

NO thats not what put me off.

One of the guys mates was out fishing just of the peninsula (Yorke?) about 30KM's away.

The boat is 7.2 meters. 21 to 23 foot in old money? The white pointer that swam past was the length of the boat, as per norm he came foe a good look close up. They reckon the dorsal was a foot and a half out the water. They threw in a few snacks but he wasn't intrested.

They yelled across to another boat, 2 guys in a 16 footer. Told em they should move off and explained they thought the mouth would be 4 foot across!. They quickly made a quiet exit, and as soon as the anchor was up so did the 7.2 meter boat.

As for fisherman tales and things that got away, either way this is a big shark.

This side is pretty shallow, but deep enough for them to swim in.

The oh plays golf, at mt osmond, always open for a game, cept sundays when he plays for the team.

So many courses to play here...................and the bugger is happy to abandon me and the kids for a round!!!!!

Plays mt osmond but will play anywhere.

The Adelaide course is a lovely municipal.

Guest back clan

Thanks for the replies. I will be in touch when we arrive.

I hardlly seem to get time to play much in the Uk these days.

Looking forward to meeting you all

Guest Murphysegg

Hi all, iv'e been here approx 10 months now & just discovered this Forum.

I'd be up for a few rounds if anyones got the patience to tag along with a Hacker!! Iv'e been out at Adelaide Shores for a few twilight rounds during the summer evenings, & must say it's cheap.....about 6 quid for 18holes. I used to pay that for 9 holes in a Marshy field in the UK !!

As for surfing.......never tried it, but have been Kitesurfing for the last 3 years. Adelaide has an awesome kiting scene. Iv'e kited in Spain / Brazil / Caribbean & it rivals these with ease.

My advice to you is between now & Sept, get some lessons & buy some second hand kites in the UK as there a lot cheaper there. Come Sept the Seabreeze season starts here & you'll be out ripping it up every day untill March !!!

As for the sharks, it's mainly Bronzies off the Metro shores . The pointers tend to stay on the York Peninsular where the snapper & tuna farms are. I'd rather be skipping across the water than paddling about in it waiting for a wave in any case.

Guest OO are ya

Get yourself down to Middleton on the south coast...and whist you are there bring your sticks and play golf at McCracken golf club, or Victor Harbor golf club, Goolwa GC, Lady Bay golf Links at Normanville, Mt Compass golf club. These will not set you any more back than around $30ish....Entertainment book has two 4 one voucher for some of these courses.

Good luck,

OO are ya

• 2 months later...
Guest billyblanch

loving the post about the pointer hahahha 16 foot 30km out!

That bad boy wont be coming anywhere near the shore! and if it did it would not be intrested in a surfer!

I mean seriously those big bad boys stay way out! they have mako's 12km from torqauy in Victoria but never been onshore! and a family of sharks that live a few km off coogee in sydney and they never come in!

If if you think they are there just keep you feet up lol